OpenLC Africa - Duplicated mesh

Hi there,

After looking closer at the files included in OLC and OLC mesh & photoreal for Africa, I realized that the mesh files are duplicated :

OLC_AF2 folder exists in both OpenLC products and the Mesh & Photoreal freeware and they both contains the exact same data, is there any reason?
Both are adding a scenery layer (one named "Orbx!OPENLC_AFRICA2" and the other named "Orbx!OPENLC_AFRICA2 (1)" ) in the sim while it's totally unneeded.

I would like to keep the freeware for the photoreal parts but I don't really want the mesh to be added twice as the only thing it does is that it adds 3 additional Gb to be read by the simulator without any reason, as FSX/P3D is already CPU heavy it would be nice if one of these 2 layers could be deleted from one or another product.

This may not sound that important but when you have a simulator that already load a whole Tb of data, you don't really want to add useless files in it.

Could something be done on this? :)

Why not including the photoreal data in OpenLC itself and keep the mesh as freeware addition as anyway it requires OpenLC to work?

I thought the freeware addon was supposed to remove that mesh, anyway maybe that's for a future update.

In the meantime just remove whichever duplicate you prefer, (I'd remove the non freeware one as the freeware one is now the standard product).

8 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I thought the freeware addon was supposed to remove that mesh, anyway maybe that's for a future update.

In the meantime just remove whichever duplicate you prefer, (I'd remove the non freeware one as the freeware one is now the standard product).

John,  I thought so also.  So, which one is the non-freeware one?  I'm keen to save some space myself.

Stew

12 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

John,  I thought so also.  So, which one is the non-freeware one?  I'm keen to save some space myself.

Stew

It won't matter they are the same as far as I know.  I don't know which is which.

19 hours ago, John Dow said:

Of course I know I can remove the entry from the add-on.xml but I'm not sure how Orbx central will deal with it.

I was mainly asking if an update could be expected on this, so can an update be expected?
Is there a technical reason behind this?

Hello,

it was a technicality, now resolved.

The installer should have removed the mesh from the original installation,

leaving only one copy and the installation exactly as it was before, just with some

files in different folders.

It appears that the prudent course of action is to leave everything alone, provided that one has used the new installer to do the installation.  Also, both Orbx!OPENLC_AFRICA2 and Orbx!OPENLC_AFRICA2 (1) are correct entries and should be left intact?  Is that the advice?

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

it was a technicality, now resolved.

The installer should have removed the mesh from the original installation,

leaving only one copy and the installation exactly as it was before, just with some

files in different folders.

Thanks Nick,

On my install I still have the mesh in the original installation (and it's still in the add-on.xml) while I have the latest version.
Could this be due to the fact I got this OpenLC at release day? Would you advise to restart an install from scratch?

I usually manage all of this myself but since Orbx Central was released, I'm much more careful with what I'm doing manually as Orbx central is more sensitive than FTX central about those things.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. I was unsure if that was supposed to be still here or not.

I don't see any issue in the sim to be honest but that's additional 3Gb of files that are unnecessarily loaded by the sim, and taking space for nothing.

I'll report back if both entries are still there

Archived