YBBN Performance

Sir Ash

I've been able to install YBBN, but am having trouble using it. I'm using even lower settings than I do for YMML, and I load it and it performs worse than YMML for a minute and then comes up with the "Out of memory" error. For YMML, with traffic on full, I get 7-10fps, with traffict at 20%, 8-12fps while with YBBN, I'm only just getting 5-8fps with traffic at 20%. I've got almost all boxes ticked in the control panel for YMML, and the options for high end computers in the YBBN control panel off. I've got all the recommended settings from the manual for my PC. My PC specs are in my signature.

As for my FSX.cfg, I use the recommended tweaks (the autogen and texture bandwidth tweaks) as well as the HighMemFix and the Fiber Frame Time Fraction (at 0.22) tweak.

Thanks for any help. It's certainly an amazing airport, just gotta get it working.

Hey Asheroo,

Firstly the way the control panel has been designed is very different to the YMML version. Basically every scenery area has several levels of detail for placement files, so these are turned on/off by the various options in the control panel without sacrificing a scenery element completely.

I certainly cant run YBBN with everything on, we have to cater for both ends of the market and my machine sits in the middle, as will a lot of users.

Try my settings and see how you go...

turn the control panel options to the following

airside options turn off two choices (experiment and see which ones you prefer to have on or off.)

landside options turn off two choices as above

FSX options as following

autogen to normal

scenery density to dense

water quality to 2.x low

AI to 25%

This should provide a very flyable experience for you, then you can start to increase an option here or there to find the sweet spot. Out of memory error will occur when the PC memory becomes saturated, but i would be very surprised if you are having troubles with the above settings. Even with the above settings you will still see a great amount of the airport details, if you really need to squeeze some extra frames out then turn off one of the dock check boxes too.

All our beta testers have been able to find a nice trade off using the conrol panel, so i'm confident we can get you up and running with it  :)

Let us know how you get on with that advice, use it as a base and work up from.

Russ.

You both have similar specs to me.

What levels of Autogen are you running. I do get OOM when using very high levels of autogen but never when i have it set to normal.

With this sort of thing you need to report your complete settings, so we need to know what water, autogen, ai, shadows, clouds, scenery density etc etc.

My Autogen Density setting is at Normal, and Scenery Density at the recommended extremely dense. Clouds are at medium, and AI at 20%. I use Water 2.0x and all shadows off.

I'll try turning off another in the airside options (I alreadu have 1 airside option off and 2 landside options off in the control panel).

Ok mate,

time to turn off all control panel options (as John said) to find the base level performance, then we can go from there.

So if you turn off everything then fly around the airport and note your average fps then report back here, also state any memory issues.

With everything off in the conrtol panel you will only be seeing the main building structures with nothing extra, so that should be a good base to work up from.

Russ.

......  I use Water 2.0x .......

The available settings are:

Low 2.x

Mid 2.x

High 2.x, and

Max 2.x

These are completely different.

As a guide High 2.x will HALVE my frames compared with Low 2.x.  Please check this setting again, and confirm it is LOW 2.x

Well, I reinstalled it, defragged it, ticked off all the options, using the settings as recommended in the thread, but still getting the Out Of Memory error. I'll now try as suggested in another thread, moving some of the suggested BGL files out of the folder and see which one's causing the problem.

Just for a little more description on the issue, the buildings all come up fine, but the textures for the plane take a long time to come up, and the runway textures have big trouble loading, then I get all the other problems with the OoM issue (such as the ground spikes), yet the FPS is at 8-14fps.

By the way, I use Low 2.0x water.

Yep, take out those mentioned bgl's then add back one at a time. Those bgls contain a large amount of texture data which is what will be causing you OOM's i expect.

It's strange that our beta testers with low end machines did not encounter these OOM's, i expected it to be an XP issue, but i see you are running Vista?

Anyway, let us know how you get on  :)

Russ.

Ok, just to confirm...

you have..

1- all control panel options UNCHECKED

2- you have autogen slider at normal or less

3- you have scenery density at normal or less

4- you have airline and GA traffic at 20% or less

5- you have water quality at low 2.x or less

6- light bloom OFF

7- ground scenery shadows OFF

8- and you have moved out domestic_ap.bgl, international.bgl, RWY14.bgl and RWY19.bgl

So with the above procedures in place what issues are still happening? is it still bad perfromance or is it out of memory errors?

With the above advice followed, i would be very surprised if you were still having issues as we ahve basically turned off everything that makes YBBN look like YBBN! and it should then be performing the same as the rest of FTX near enough.

If you are still having issue the only other thing i can think is that your install of YBBN was maybe hampered by an anti virus/malware program you have with real-time monitoring enabled, and it was never installed properly.....can you confirm whether you have antivirus/antimalware programs running please?

Russ.

I would have to concur with Russ' settings without those bgl's removed  I set it exactly as he said and had an instant frame increase to totally flyable, basically start from the bottom and keep adding until the frames go below what your system can fly at.  I have the most low spec computer of the dev team and I was able to have a completely enjoyable flight.

Ok, I just did all of those settings there, and there was no OoM issues, and frames only jumped from 8-14fps to 10-20fps but with quite an amount of stutters. I do run Norton 360, but it has never interfered with anything.

Also, I did download very early, as soon as I got an e-mail about it, so maybe it might of have been slightly corrupted, but I'll see how I go building back up the settings. It's just really strange it's performing quite badly compared to YMML on my system.

Yeah, it's had me surprised that following those steps has not had much of an effect, where it should have a massive effect?

What i would do is...

delete your \FTXAA_YBBN folder in flight sim directory\ORBX\FTX_AU folder,

then disable your antivirus

restart your computer

reinstall YBBN from your original download

defrag your hard drive

restart your computer

open YBBN control panel and uncheck all items

now start a flight at YBBN and report back your performance then

I'm sure it's an install issue or similar as it just doesent sound right that you are still having issues after disabling all the main bgl's?

Anyway, le us know how you get on

Russ.

Well, unfortunately, that also didn't work. Unchecking all the items and disabling the BGLs does work, but there are still slow load, and stutters, and around 15fps.

Just curious, what are Martin's settings? Does he use any FSX.cfg tweaks?

Ok, I got a new problem now with the YBBN Control Panel, when I go to disable the GA AI Traffic, it comes up with an error message saying "Could not switch option". Could it possibly be that my install/download could be corrupted?

If i disable everything on the CP and turn AI, traffic and autogen off i can get 30 - 40 fps.

Just adding autogen to normal knocks me back to the high twenties. But i can run with all CP selected and 40% AI, Autogen at Normal and i generally have frames in the 10 - 15 but sometime down to 5s. But no stutters.

No i dont have many tweaks. I am not much of a fiddler in the configs.

Try starting with a fresh FSX.cfg file (delete you esisting one) then restart FSX from the main menu. I find YBBN loads faster. You may well find some improvments.

Another suggestion is to lower yout Global Texture setting down one or two notces, the downside is lower res textures, but texture load is much much faster.

In all honesty i doubt you will get much more than what you are already.

Regarding the stutters, are you running with limited or unlimited Frames rates set, and also Full screen or Windowed mode.

Personnally i get the best from Frame rate limited to 20 in Full screen mode. I get no micro stutters and better frame rates than in windowed mode.

Changing the Global Resolution to high makes a difference, works well but if I swerve around just that little too much it will come up with the OoM error. Changing it to medium, no error but the textures are quite blurry. I can however run traffic at 50% and have half of the boxes ticked in the control panel (which would make it 8-10fps).

I usually run it with an unlimited frame rate target and in windowed, changing it to 20 fps target and windowed mode gets the fps up by 1fps, but still same problems.

Another thought. What screen resolition are you running? There are so many things in each individual set up that can affect things. Try running at a lower resolution. You might find some useful gains here with less degredation in texture quality than the Global texture setting.

Bit if you can find some stability with the lower Global texture level, if might be best to focus of finding a workable set from there.

The only real difference between out set ups is that i have 512mb more in GPU memory. But on saying that Russ has a 512, its not the the full answer. You do have more CPU speed. So that should compensate.

We always knew we would have some customers with performance issue, so we are doing our best.

My screen resolution setting is 1440x900x32, which is what the same resolution as my monitor is. Changing it to others doesn't seem to have an impact. I might re-download the airport just incase something happened or so.

Oh well, apart from this hiccup, the airport is amazing.

EDIT: Also, sometimes the OoM error comes up in the loading screen before it completely loads, always around the "Adjusting scenery objects" part (at around 80-83%, which is the slowest when loading YBBN).

Thanks for staying positive Ash, we will certainly take your experience into consideration for the SP, but we feel performance to very good considering the density of scenery. We will struggle to get it run  much better on the lower spec machines. We felt we covered this quite well with the CP options.

Anyway, we will see what we can do.

On saying if and when you do upgrade your system you know YBBN will grown with your system rather than stagnate with older systems which is our design philosophy.

I am also having considerable performance issues.  At the moment I am running with ONLY Airside objects 1 on and with the Cessna I am receiving a mere 14fps during the day and drops tp 8-9fps for night time.  I would consider myself running a mid-range PC (Intel Quad Core 2GHz, 4GB Ram, 1GB Radeon HD 4650, Win7 64Bit).  I have tried every tweak under the sun from having a clean fsx.cfg to extreme things like bufferpools=0 and external frame rate limiter (this actually works for me +3-4 FPS).  Is there anything left to suggest to get some better frame rates rather than just flying by day (sim time of course)?

After a day or two of messing around with the settings to find the ones to used, I have finally found one that doesn't bring up any OoM error messages. Global Texture Resolution = High (there isn't too much of a difference between very high and high), Scenery Complexity at Dense, Autogen Density at Normal (usual for urban areas for me) and I run it with an unlimited frame rate target and windowed mode. With this, I can also have the traffic at around 50%. I get around 7-15fps with this (whereas for YMML, I get about 8-12fps).

With the control panel, I have Airside Objects 1 and 2, Landside Objects 1, Dock Objects 1 and 2, GA AI Traffic and the Kingsford Smith Memorial Hangar on.

Still however, it's strange how it won't run with very high global texture resolution or with anything else up as I have for all other airports (including YMML). I'm just glad I've got it working to a degree where the fps is decent enough and still looks amazing, will post up screens soon.

Yeah, thats good news Ash, at least you've found a happy medium. Thanks for sticking with us on this one mate  :)

@Clarky, if you post a new support thread in the forum we can close this one off and start to help you separately ok

Russ.

I have a very high end system and it has reduced FSX to a slideshow, with everything unchecked and no autogen. Its a shame that we pay lots of money for this and have to get rid of most of what we've paid for in order for it to work.

I wonder what you mean by High End Systems?

Man if your cannot run YBBN on that computer there is something wrong with YOUR computer. I have a i7 920 and 6 gig DDR3 + GTX 260 and it runs really really good for its size and looks. Please dont come here and bitch to ORBX about Performance because its a problem with your computer not YBBN. You see other people....potential customers read this and they say,"hmmmm...bad performance...I aint gettin it." when really something is wrong with your computer, its not fair, not only to you but ORBX and other customers that read this.

Next time why not say...."hey ORBX I'm having a problem with YBBN can you help me"...and they will, they always do.  Russ will help you, he helped me and now everything is perfect, anyways take it easy.

Russ, I have a very similair system as slipstream above, and I too am having a slide show with YBBN. I've read most of the posts about YBBN problems, but nothing has worked for me yet.

I can run YMML at 55+ FPS smooth as silk. Also, after installing YBBN, my TrafficX traffic line in my scenery library is gone and I have no AI traffic at any other airports.

All my Orbx stuff was working wonderful before this, so I am not sure why this is happening. No new driver installs or software other than Orbx stuff, TrafficX and some payware planes.

I know you've tested YBBN very well, so I don't blame you guys at all. I know we can figure this out together. YBBN should run great on my system, so I will look forward to any ideas you may have.

Thanks.

Russ, I have a very similair system as slipstream above, and I too am having a slide show with YBBN. I've read most of the posts about YBBN problems, but nothing has worked for me yet.

I can run YMML at 55+ FPS smooth as silk. Also, after installing YBBN, my TrafficX traffic line in my scenery library is gone and I have no AI traffic at any other airports.

All my Orbx stuff was working wonderful before this, so I am not sure why this is happening. No new driver installs or software other than Orbx stuff, TrafficX and some payware planes.

I know you've tested YBBN very well, so I don't blame you guys at all. I know we can figure this out together. YBBN should run great on my system, so I will look forward to any ideas you may have.

Thanks.

I need to add that I AM getting great FPS at YBBN....BUT, I am having MAJOR stutters that is making it a slide show. Again, all my other Orbx airports to include YMML are smooth.

Ok guys, sorry to hear of your issues. lets address a few things here.

First off, we want everyone to be able to enjoy this scenery, and we thought after much beta testing that we had found a good ballance. There is no member of the Orbx team that has a computer anywhere near as powerfull as an i7 975 extreme CPU, so you should be ripping this scenery appart! the reason you are not is what we need to identify.

Slipstream and sniper, you guys have way above what is needed to run this scenery so we need to find what is causing the issue. Can you both confirm if i have this right....you both have very good fps....BUT, you have lots of stutters that is making flying impossible? is that correct?

We'll take it from there guys ok, but i need to first know that this is not a performance issue but a possible conflict somewhere

Russ.

Archived