YBBN Performance

Sir Ash

Ok guys, sorry to hear of your issues. lets address a few things here.

First off, we want everyone to be able to enjoy this scenery, and we thought after much beta testing that we had found a good ballance. There is no member of the Orbx team that has a computer anywhere near as powerfull as an i7 975 extreme CPU, so you should be ripping this scenery appart! the reason you are not is what we need to identify.

Slipstream and sniper, you guys have way above what is needed to run this scenery so we need to find what is causing the issue. Can you both confirm if i have this right....you both have very good fps....BUT, you have lots of stutters that is making flying impossible? is that correct?

We'll take it from there guys ok, but i need to first know that this is not a performance issue but a possible conflict somewhere

Russ.

Russ, thank you for the reply...I know you are one busy guy right now. :)

For me YES, the problem is major stutter's not FPS.

The YBBN scenery looks excellent, but unfortunately I'm also getting "Out of memory" after a minute or two, with the settings recommended for "mid-range PCs".

The developers may with the advise - is a simple way out of this to upgrade from Xp to Windows 7? I've been avoiding that so far because of possible incompatabilities or features not working under W7. It seems that most of the development team are running W7, and XP certainly leave a lot to be desired!

thanks

Wilber

The YBBN scenery looks excellent, but unfortunately I'm also getting "Out of memory" after a minute or two, with the settings recommended for "mid-range PCs".

The developers may with the advise - is a simple way out of this to upgrade from Xp to Windows 7? I've been avoiding that so far because of possible incompatabilities or features not working under W7. It seems that most of the development team are running W7, and XP certainly leave a lot to be desired!

thanks

Wilber

Rearding XP, perhaps its time to look at it from this position.

XP is 9 years old, was released in 2001. FSX was released in 2006 and Vista soon followed. It is now 2010 and Windows 7 has since been released and both Vista and W7 have proven to show significant advantages of XP in terms of handling high texture loads. It does not matter how fast your PC is XP will hold you back because it was never designed to work with this level of performance.

As developers everyone wants everything, amazing detail and amazing performance, but the two cannot go hand in hand with out some compromise. We always try tthe impossible to please every customer all at the same time. But there are so many  differences between systems its impossible to achieve.

I think my next airport i will design to run in FS2004, then do a lazy port over.

I've taken the settings suggested by Asheroo, and I can now happily run for at least 15 minutes without the OOM message. So I would say that we have a solution there. The system is using about 2.8-2.9GB of memory. (Good work, Ash!)

Martin, thanks for your comments, I think it is time for me to be brave and move to Windows 7.

BTW, the airport looks fabulous! Many thanks to all who have worked on this.

Wilber

Here is some information that may be of help or interest to some...

I'm still getting the OOM message (despite my earlier statement!), but as long as you don't click on the message, but click back on your FS window, you can continue flying.

When I received the message (on approach to YBBN Runway 01), the machine was using about 2.9GB of RAM (and I have a 3GB paging file as well), and afterwards dropped back to 2.5GB or so. (If it was REALLY out of memory, I would have expected the total "commit charge" to be about 6GB.) When I came up to Runway 32, I noticed that the runway, taxiways and parts of the nearby land were now an untextured, uniform grey colour. Turning back towards Runway 01, all of it and nearby taxiways were now that same grey.

One other item of interest, just after I got the OOM message, some of the clouds started showing up as rectangular blocks, rather than "cloud" textures. But this soon went away!

Oh well, I'm getting W7 next week... :-) hopefully most of these issues will disappear.

G'day ccwilder,

I have a dual boot rig with XP & Win7 & my performance increase in Win7 over XP is at times an extra 10 fps or more with this scenery. Also the textures load much faster in Win7, so I'd suggest you do either change to 7 or do a dual boot if you have two separate hard drives & need XP for some reason.

I'm going to try a re-install with my AV turned off. What I find unusual is that when I fly away from the airport with no intense scenery in view my frames still stutter around 7-10. I wonder what that may be.

I have to say though that this scenery is truly amazing, ahead of it's time, perhaps, but astonishing. I love flying in FTX land so I hope I can fix my issues soon.

What I would like to see is Orbx, and others, produce a pre-diagnostic test tool that evaluates the install PC which delivers a report that specifies exactly what to install in order to get acceptable frame rates and gives a pricing discount based on the report. I know this is in an ideal world, but it would be nice to see. Add ons are becoming so expensive nowadays and thats because they are becoming so elaborate (to work out carefully or minutely; develop to perfection). 

What I find unusual is that when I fly away from the airport with no intense scenery in view my frames still stutter around 7-10. I wonder what that may be.

Same. Was doing a flight from YBBN to YMML this morning, and my frames were still around 8-15fps for the whole flight. That's oddly strange, and the 2D panel refused to load, and instead, just came up black. The buttons in the virtual cockpit also froze as well, but that's probably some FSX problem since I've had it many times before on take off and landing.

What I find unusual is that when I fly away from the airport with no intense scenery in view my frames still stutter around 7-10. I wonder what that may be.

Same. Was doing a flight from YBBN to YMML this morning, and my frames were still around 8-15fps for the whole flight. That's oddly strange, and the 2D panel refused to load, and instead, just came up black. The buttons in the virtual cockpit also froze as well, but that's probably some FSX problem since I've had it many times before on take off and landing.

Hmm interesting. When I fly away from mega Heathrow my frame rates jump back to normal rate. But flying away from YBBN my frame rates remain low. 

@Slipstream ... it would be more helpful to raise your own separate thread if you are having issues ... and in doing so, please advise as much specific information as you can (ie more than "bad frames / slide show / turn off what we paid for" )  An i7 Extreme should get much better frames (as you say) so something else must be wrong.

Adding to a thread that is [RESOLVED] and deals with another customers issue is unlikely to provide a solution to yours.

Archived