TE Florida excessive load time

No issue here and I have many add-on airports with libraries. Loading times are under 3 minutes.

The best way to test is to move the custom scenery folder outside of the Xplane 11 folder. Then create a new custom scenery folder and only move the Orbx TE Florida folders. You can also move the default global airports folder and a copy of the sceneri.ini file.  That should reduce loading times and help you isolate the issue. Add sceneries and test to see if loading times increase.

That's what I would do.

Hello

I have the same issue here, i just bought True earth Florida sd this last weekend and the load time take 30 min to start.

I also try reinstall x plane 11 i delete all my terrains from custom scenery and i reinstall only True earth Flroida in custom scenery folder and still taking 30 min to load, then I try to re install Orbx true Florida scenery in the Orbx folder and still taking 30 min to load.

I have x plane 11 install in a external hard disk due i have a notebook gamer with a rtx2080 and dont have enough internal hard disk space for x plane 11 and addons sceneries. 

I was reading in the forums to avoid the long load times with Orbx sceneries in x plane 11 the only solution is to have a ssd hard disk but is really annoying if that is true  cause that  isnt specified in the Orbx true earth system requirements and then that mean to i have to spend almost 200 us dollars buying a ssd hard disk to load Orbx true earth sceneries.

Please tell me that have a ssd disk is not the only solution to this long load times cause i prefer to ask for a refund if that is the only solution.

I have lot of ortho4xp sceneries in x plane 11 and never i had that huge load times with them, the most long load time i have with some ortho sceneries have been 4 minutes 

Please i will glad if you can give me support on this cause i invest my money in Orbx and we are not talking about free addons.

13 hours ago, speedbird2017 said:

why does TE Florida take so long to load into Xplane 11.  All other TE products seem to load in a normal and quick time but florida hangs on for ages.

Same here takes 30 min to me to load and Orbx south england just take me 4 min as much

1 hour ago, panthera283 said:

Hello

I have the same issue here, i just bought True earth Florida sd this last weekend and the load time take 30 min to start.

I also try reinstall x plane 11 i delete all my terrains from custom scenery and i reinstall only True earth Flroida in custom scenery folder and still taking 30 min to load, then I try to re install Orbx true Florida scenery in the Orbx folder and still taking 30 min to load.

I have x plane 11 install in a external hard disk due i have a notebook gamer with a rtx2080 and dont have enough internal hard disk space for x plane 11 and addons sceneries. 

I was reading in the forums to avoid the long load times with Orbx sceneries in x plane 11 the only solution is to have a ssd hard disk but is really annoying if that is true  cause that  isnt specified in the Orbx true earth system requirements and then that mean to i have to spend almost 200 us dollars buying a ssd hard disk to load Orbx true earth sceneries.

Please tell me that have a ssd disk is not the only solution to this long load times cause i prefer to ask for a refund if that is the only solution.

I have lot of ortho4xp sceneries in x plane 11 and never i had that huge load times with them, the most long load time i have with some ortho sceneries have been 4 minutes 

Please i will glad if you can give me support on this cause i invest my money in Orbx and we are not talking about free addons.

Load times are to do with your read/write peed of your HDD. TE Florida is over 200Gb of data and packed with not just 4096 x 4096 imagery but also 10.5Gb of Overlay with all the autogen etc.

There is no ortho imagery with that kind of detail to make a comparison to. I have loads of Ortho4XP and the largest Overlay folder I could see was 450MB.

So I am saying that the loading time is nothing to do with Orbx addon exactly but more to do with the read/write capabilities of the disk.

Having an SSD is not mandatory but  has been recommended by ALL scenery developers and XP users as of benefit to speed up loading times. Therefore there is no need at all for Orbx to include a suggestion about needing a SSD, just as it is not necessary for Orbx to suggest you need a RTX 2080.

I would suggest you do as I do and install the SD version which only uses 41.9Gb of disk space and loads in minutes.

I assume you have the HD version, so you would pay nothing for the SD version.

5 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Load times are to do with your read/write peed of your HDD. TE Florida is over 200Gb of data and packed with not just 4096 x 4096 imagery but also 10.5Gb of Overlay with all the autogen etc.

There is no ortho imagery with that kind of detail to make a comparison to. I have loads of Ortho4XP and the largest Overlay folder I could see was 450MB.

So I am saying that the loading time is nothing to do with Orbx addon exactly but more to do with the read/write capabilities of the disk.

Having an SSD is not mandatory but  has been recommended by ALL scenery developers and XP users as of benefit to speed up loading times. Therefore there is no need at all for Orbx to include a suggestion about needing a SSD, just as it is not necessary for Orbx to suggest you need a RTX 2080.

I would suggest you do as I do and install the SD version which only uses 41.9Gb of disk space and loads in minutes.

Thanks Jon for the answer. I bought the 41.9 gb sd version, that is the reason i wonder why take me 30 min to load. I also have the Orbx south great britain scenery and take me only 4 min to load. I think 30 min isnt normal and as i wrote before i try with a clean x plane 11 installation without ortho4xp and other addon scenery and still taking me 30 min to load.

Is really annoying wait 30 min everytime to test and also if i want to fly in Florida.

Just now, panthera283 said:

Thanks Jon for the answer. I bought the 41.9 gb sd version, that is the reason i wonder why take me 30 min to load. I also have the Orbx south great britain scenery and take me only 4 min to load. I think 30 min isnt normal and as i wrote before i try with a clean x plane 11 installation without ortho4xp and other addon scenery and still taking me 30 min to load.

Is really annoying wait 30 min everytime to test and also if i want to fly in Florida.

I agree it is an excessive time but I cannot do anything about that except offer best advice, which is that a SSD will be faster, but that  doesn't help your situation.

Loading times also are affected by your XP Graphics and World Objects settings. 

What is the drive you have installed Florida on. Internal, if so what speed is it rpm wise?

Is it the external drive, if so what speed is it read/write at?

I am attaching a programme for you to test the speeds of your drives so you know which drive will be best.

CrystalDiskMark6.zip

13 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

I agree it is an excessive time but I cannot do anything about that except offer best advice, which is that a SSD will be faster, but that  doesn't help your situation.

What is the drive you have installed Florida on. Internal, if so what speed is it rpm wise?

I am attaching a programme for you to test the speeds of your drives so you know which drive will be best.

CrystalDiskMark6.zip 3.44 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks Jon i will try this software to check the speed, I have a external seagate 8tb hard disk. I only have dcs world and x plane11 installed there. I dont know the speed at the moment. I will check with this software and i will post the answer soon as possible i can check it.

7 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

CrystalDiskMark6.zip 3.44 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks, this is my write and read speed if i did the test correct

hard disk.jpg

panthera283

That hard drive is too slow. At minimum I would look into a USB 3.0 or USB-C, 7200RPM if going external. Your read speeds would go up and cut loading times to possibly 1/3 or more. Going SSD would be even faster but seems out of the question in your situation.

Realistically, I would install X-Plane in your main Hard Drive (Laptop) and install the scenery on the faster external hard drive mentioned above.

fly safe

42 minutes ago, Francisco Blas said:

panthera283

That hard drive is too slow. At minimum I would look into a USB 3.0 or USB-C, 7200RPM if going external. Your read speeds would go up and cut loading times to possibly 1/3 or more. Going SSD would be even faster but seems out of the question in your situation.

Realistically, I would install X-Plane in your main Hard Drive (Laptop) and install the scenery on the faster external hard drive mentioned above.

fly safe

Thanks for the tip, This hard disk is usb 3.0 either but i did a speed test in the another 2 external hard drives i have and they look like are faster than this one. I would try install Orbx sceneries in one of them. Do you know if its possible load the custom scenery folder scenarios and ortho4xp from another hard drive?. I really dont have enough space in my main ssd hard drive for install addons and sceneries. thanks

Do you have enough room on your SSD to install X-Plane? I would definitely look into getting a PC in the future as you would be able to use internal hard drives which is way faster than using external. But that's beside the point.

Create a new "Custom Scenery" folder on you external hard drive. Move all the contents from your X-Plane "Custom Scenery" folder to the new "Custom Scenery" folder on your external hard drive. Then use a utility like Link Shell Extension (I use this) to create a link to your relocated scenery folder. You could probably copy and paste a shortcut as well, I haven't tried.

https://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html

fly safe

14 hours ago, JoseCFII said:

No issue here and I have many add-on airports with libraries. Loading times are under 3 minutes.

The best way to test is to move the custom scenery folder outside of the Xplane 11 folder. Then create a new custom scenery folder and only move the Orbx TE Florida folders. You can also move the default global airports folder and a copy of the sceneri.ini file.  That should reduce loading times and help you isolate the issue. Add sceneries and test to see if loading times increase.

That's what I would do.

No need to do that i know what the problem is its Florida.  Like i said EVERYWHERE else loads perfectly fine.  As soon as i load anywhere in Florida it takes ages to load. 

7 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Thanks for that however that is really not a soloution.  why should i downgrade to the SD version when i have paid for the HD.  Will Orbx refund me the difference.  I think not

@Tony Wroblewski Please comment on why some people find that Florida takes a long time to load. I can understand that it's over 200GB, I understand it depends on the read/write speed of the disk etc. People are making comparisons to the loading times of other equally detailed and sized TE addon load times and Florida seems to be the slowest.

I just ran a test and it was about 4 minutes to load into KSGJ NE Florida.

My Florida scenery is installed into the XPlane 11 Custom Scenery folder, not a Library.

Hard Drive speed is just one factor in determining data rates in a computer, another is the ability of the motherboard and its busses etc to move the ones and zeroes around into RAM etc.  A less than optimal motherboard can easily double the loading time for the scenery.

Although I know that many people are still dependent of Hard Disks for flight sim storage, True Earth products have been developed in an environment where SSDs are now the norm for flight simming.  I don't think there's anything the developers can do to speed up your loading times.  As I have just confirmed, a mid range computer using SSDs for scenery files allows TE Florida to load in around 4 minutes.  I guess it's the old adage, sometimes you just have to spend what it takes to keep up with a hobby.

If you check the Properties of TE Florida you will see there are over 100,000 files. No other TE addon nears that quantity of files. To compare one TE region load time with another is not necessarily a good measure.

TE Florida SD=104,089 Files, 177 Folders

TE NorCal SD=67,745 Files, 177 Folders

TE Oregon SD=58,510 Files, 147 Folders

TE SoCal SD=56,715 Files, 161 Folders

TE Washington=67,763 Files, 197 Folders

The figures quoted pertain to the SD versions which contain the same number of files as the HD versions. The only difference is the texture resolution in HD vs SD.

Just as a FWIW, I just loaded TE Florida SD (Ft Myers Page) on my iMac 27. 

• XP on my internal fusion HD
  • Computer was in the process of installing a 2nd copy of XP on an external
  • Orbx library on that same external USB 3 external
  • Computer was doing a backup of the main HD at the same time

Time to load was 7 minutes. Normally has been a little faster than that. Of course, this is the SD version of Florida, so not entirely comparable but thought I would mention it as a reference data point. 

I have a link to Solitaire on my desktop next to the P3D and XP11 start icons.  After I start the flight sim I start a quick game of Solitaire.  It's amazing how that 3 or 6 or however many minutes goes by when you're occupied, even if the alternative is pretty pointless.  Sometimes I don't get flying for another 5-10 minutes if the Solitaire is being particularly intriguing!

43 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I have a link to Solitaire on my desktop next to the P3D and XP11 start icons.  After I start the flight sim I start a quick game of Solitaire.  It's amazing how that 3 or 6 or however many minutes goes by when you're occupied, even if the alternative is pretty pointless.  Sometimes I don't get flying for another 5-10 minutes if the Solitaire is being particularly intriguing!

LOL!

I just tried to load TE Florida now, I get about 3:50 mins. with the HD version. I'm not complaining :) 

fly safe

Archived