P3Dv5 W10 Requirement

There have been topics on this subject on other forums. It seems that Windows 7 has the DX12 api on board but DX12 initially is introduced with Windows 10.

If you don't get an answer here, you can take a look at avsim.net or the official Prepar3D forums.

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

I thought I would post this question here because a lot of knowledgeable flight sim enthusiasts frequent this forum.

My reluctance is with performing a W10 upgrade as opposed to a clean install.

At work and at play I’ve had some bad experiences with W10 upgrades.

My W7 / P3Dv4.5 PC is working well and I don’t want to risk upgrading it to W10 as I don’t have the time to start over with it at this point if the upgrade goes south.

Many of it’s components are a little dated so an updated system with a fresh W10 install is the long term plan.

Current world events make it foolish in my case to spend thousands on an entertainment item when those funds are best saved for unexpected circumstances.

That said, I thought it might be interesting it install v5 on this system to try it out, hence my original question.

Cheers and stay safe!

I was also reluctant to make the move as my flight sim was still on Windows 7 and I was quite happy with it. However I was able to utilise the free upgrade and moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10 quite painlessly and for free. Yes it required a reinstall but at least my system got a clear out prior to moving to the new sim.

There is already some talk that the new Windows 10 update has released more VRAM back to the simulator, so unfortunately I think Windows 7 customers will be left behind in the not too distant future when it comes to enjoying the benefits of modern simming and better graphics etc.

1 hour ago, Ian St said:

I think Windows 7 customers will be left behind in the not too distant future when it comes to enjoying the benefits of modern simming and better graphics etc.

They are already left behind since MS stopped support for Windows 7.

fwiw, I was very reluctant to upgrade from W7 home premium to W10 pro.  But when the support tap got turned off, I decided I should.  The upgrade went perfectly, without needing to reinstall anything thing.  MS even found 30Gb(!) of windows junk I could delete from my 105Gb c:\.

Well The P3Dv5 comes with that directory in it - Called D3D12 on Windows 7.

No idea on what is - all I see are 3 DLLs inside it

d3d11on12.dll

d3d12.dll

dxilconv7.dll

I will let you guys figure it out.  I am sticking with Windows 10 Pro 2004 build due to better VRAM management.

image.png.97621de657b5356488b8f851b45824ca.png

Archived