First Moon Pictures

John Heaton

The actual live broadcast of the landing on the moon was by Courtesy of the little white

dot below me in the picture on a trip from GC to Melbourne

It's the Radio Telescope at Parkes in Western New South Wales Australia

It was also the subject of a Brilliant Australian comedy film - "The Dish" which tells the

story of a TV event that nearly didn't happen

Australia V2 - Albeo PA31

Parkes Radio Satellite Station.jpg

Unfortunately... The Dish made Parkes famous, but the first pictures from the Moon actually came from Honeysuckle Creek. If all you ever learned about the Apollo 11 mission was from the Australian movie The Dish, you would be sorely mistaken about what really happened when man landed on the Moon.  :)

41 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Unfortunately... The Dish made Parkes famous, but the first pictures from the Moon actually came from Honeysuckle Creek. If all you ever learned about the Apollo 11 mission was from the Australian movie The Dish, you would be sorely mistaken about what really happened when man landed on the Moon.  :)

Thank you for that - and I note your proximity to Honeysuckle creek - and the blurb  meant as an interest point to the screenshot

(However -  the info was correct - since I didn't mention "First Pictures - and  99% of the main broadcast came from Parkes)

https://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news_events/apollo11/

Excellent shot John, I can still see it now, I was ten years old, sitting in front of a Sylvania black & white TV, I was glued to it.  I watched every minute of every mission, walking on the moon has always been a pipe dream.  I would love it.

4 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Excellent shot John, I can still see it now, I was ten years old, sitting in front of a Sylvania black & white TV, I was glued to it.  I watched every minute of every mission, walking on the moon has always been a pipe dream.  I would love it.

I am still in trouble with my 5 kids over this 

We were in the UK at the time - on Holiday in Blackpool and not really knowing what was

actually going to happen around midnight UK time - so many delays had occurred before

I made the kids go to bed - and they still haven't forgiven me.

13 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I am still in trouble with my 5 kids over this 

We were in the UK at the time - on Holiday in Blackpool and not really knowing what was

actually going to happen around midnight UK time - so many delays had occurred before

I made the kids go to bed - and they still haven't forgiven me.

Dang, sorry about that John.  At least there's YT, I still rewatch them.  It would be amazing to be on the mood.

Archived