Impossible to maintain two separate libraries V4 and V5

If I have a V4 library already defined ... i.e. D:\Orbx\Library   (which has a sub-dir p3dv4)  ... I can't create another library under D:\Orbx\Library as I get the following error:

ORBXLibraryIssue.thumb.jpg.28baa13a90f6d4efa30e6c545e046f8c.jpg

ORBXLibraryIssue1.jpg.56a1bd1c7b783afc1c2c36faea59e47a.jpg

Since p3dv4 and p3dv5 folders are hard coded in OC, I'm not sure I understand why I'm not being allowed to create a new library (the two would be unique due to the hard coded p3dv5)?

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Ian

That's not the problem, the issue really is the error message preventing library creation.

What I think is missing is that OC doesn't take into consideration I've selected Prepar3d V5 as my current context.  So the Library check for existing isn't taking that into consideration along with the hard code paths OC appends ... the p3dV5 dir.  So OC see's that D:\Orbx\Library has a library defined, but it's checking D:\Orbx\Library and not the correct path to check using the OC appended "p3dv4" (hard coded) ... OC needs to combine the defined library D:\Orbx\Library + hard coded element \p3dv4 (D:\Orbx\Library\p3dv4) to determine if an existing library is present. 

The correct way, if it used my current "context" (Prepar3D V5 per 1st screenshot) it would take my Library definition D:\Orbx\Library + \p3dv5 and check against that and since that path doesn't exist, it would allow creation.

So right now it's impossible for me to have the following:

P3D V4 Main Library

D:\Orbx\Library\p3dv4

and

P3D V5 Main Library

D:\Orbx\Library\p3dv5

I believe I touched on this issue before in another thread.

I can work around the problem by using D:\Orbx\Library2 when creating the library for P3D V5.  The p3dv5 sub-dir actually gets created on my first product addition (usually the Orbx Libraries for FTX global) not necessarily a restart.

So in summary, the check for existing library needs to be aware of current OC context.  Or the problem can be completely solved by not appending hard coded paths (i.e. p3dv4, p3dv5) for each supported context (XP, P3D V4, P3D V5, AF2, etc.). This would then actually make the library check existing work.  I'm guessing these hard coded path elements were added because of migrations, but just a guess.

Cheers, Rob.

Hello,

if you want to use the same folder, just install a product into it and it will go into a newly created p3dv5 folder.

It is quite unnecessary to try to recreate an existing destination.

As has been mentioned numerous times, manual interference in Orbx Central is not necessary and indeed is counter-productive.

28 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

But what if I want a separate library?  I understand "p3dv5" will get created for the existing library, but my issue was for a separate new library (create library).  

It is a separate library? Nothing that you do in Orbx Central while having "P3Dv4" selected will modify anything inside your "p3dv5" folder and vice versa. I might not fully get the idea of a "separate library" then...

Hello Robin.

If this is vital, then the solution is to rename the library to P3D Main Library.

If opened for P3D v4, Orbx Central will only see D:\Orbx\Library\p3dv4.

If opened for P3D v5, Orbx Central will only see D:\Orbx\Library\p3dv5.

If you want a different type of completely separate library, just create a new one and give it its own folder and name.

sorry if i jump in, just to be clear (sorry, English isnt my main language), one can do it in a way that there is only 1 library for both, v4 + v5? And that would be possible by naming it P3D Main Library. ?

If i already have a v4 and v5 library , both filled with it products, how would i go on to only have a single library? My space is running out to have my whole catalouge double ^^

In my case, not sure about others ... I plan to eventually delete my P3D V4 Main Library once LM have fixed ALL the issues with P3D V5 (there are MANY) and key 3PDs have full support for P3D V5.  That's why I want two libraries rather than just one.

Cheers, Rob.

For those with space problems like ... me, they can copy " p3dv4 " or " p3dv5 "  to another SSD from Orbx LIBRARY.

For example I first copied from D: \ Orbx LIBRARY \ p3dv4 to  G: \

then I deleted p3dv4 on D: \ Orbx LIBRARY

then with LinkShellExtension I did "Use as link source" on the copy of p3dv4 made on G: \ and in D: \ Orbx LIBRARY \
  "Create as .... symbolic link" and now I have on D: \ Orbx LIBRARY \ p3dv5 (which resides on D: \) and the link  to p3dv4 which resides on G :\.

With the same system I moved from C: \ ... P3D 5 and P3D 4.5 many scenarios to another SSD to have more space on C :\.

Yes, i have 2 libraries at well (in one main folder). There is a v4 and a v5 folder. 

Good tip with the link to folders. That though would require that both product versions of all products stay same between v4 and v5. And atm im not sure if that will stay like now or change in the future. But still, would be a way i guess. 

Archived