Plane recommendations for XP?

Jack Sawyer

Can anyone please recommend a very high quality, A2A-like Cessna and or Piper for XP that uses the GTN 750 and is not Carenado?

I just installed World Traffic and now my sim is on par with P3D except for some study level planes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

5 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Hi jack,

Q8Pilot did a nice video on the top 10 GA airplanes for X-Plane 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvjmoAPx80

Pay attention to JRollon's SF 260. It's special!

Interesting that you chose World Traffic 3. I thought that JF Traffic Global was supposed to be a better AI add-on.

Jose

Thanks Jose, that was the one, Just Flight Global. It’s an .exe and so simple to use.  It really makes my Orbx XP world sweet now!

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Jose, that was the one, Just Flight Global. It’s an .exe and so simple to use.  It really makes my Orbx XP world sweet now!

Ok.

That's the best AI for XPlane. Install and enjoy.

Also, check out the Airfoil Labs King Air. You can load two GTN 750s.

17 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Ok.

16 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

BTW, what did you choose for weather?

Weather is HiFi’s ASXP.

One thing I have seen an issue with so far is the GTN doesn’t see this AI traffic.  But a freeware one I had did.  Odd this.

34 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Ok.

I looked at it Jose but nowhere does it say it can use the GTN. Nor, unfortunately, do they have screenshots of it.

The default model does not, but there are a couple of mods on the forums that enable it in single or dual format. 

The issue is with that term 'study level' Jack......  still very few of them for XPlane.

• Airfoillabs KA350 (mod)
  • Airfoillabs C172 (mod)
  • TBM 850 (glass so no need)
  • MIlviz T310R supports GTN750 (out of the box)
  • Have you looked at the planes by vFlyteAir? NOT study level, but better than Carenado .....  and their cherokee supports GTN650, not sure about 750

Terry

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I looked at it Jose but nowhere does it say it can use the GTN. Nor, unfortunately, do they have screenshots of it.

Knowing how you appreciate awesomeness, check out this link:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/52652-airfoillabs-king-air-350-avitab-integration-mod/

You will find two GTN Mod links for single and dual integration for the King Air 350. But, check out the Avitab plugin. It's excellent!

There's a beautiful Piper Arrow by Just Flight that comes with GTN 750 integration out the box.

As a pop-up, you can choose the GTN 750 from drop down menu and use it for any airplane that you like. It will take over the navigation as the primary nav unit.

As for the JF AI not showing on the GTN units, I don't have the AI add-on, but let me see what I can dig up.

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Looks like you are easing further into XP Jack:)

With JF Global, can you control how many AI aircraft show up in your flying vicinity?

TTM

3 hours ago, TerryM said:

The default model does not, but there are a couple of mods on the forums that enable it in single or dual format. 

The issue is with that term 'study level' Jack......  still very few of them for XPlane.

• Airfoillabs KA350 (mod)
  • Airfoillabs C172 (mod)
  • TBM 850 (glass so no need)
  • MIlviz T310R supports GTN750 (out of the box)
  • Have you looked at the planes by vFlyteAir? NOT study level, but better than Carenado .....  and their cherokee supports GTN650, not sure about 750

Terry

Thanks Terry, yes, I agree, study level is what I crave so much, no matter what it costs it has to be as close to real as possible or I bin it. I’ll have a look at these.  I saw the YT on the KA350, was impressed but I like more modern avionics like the GTN. I used to love the G1000 but it’’s not as intuitive as the 750.

1 hour ago, JoseCFII said:

Knowing how you appreciate awesomeness, check out this link:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/52652-airfoillabs-king-air-350-avitab-integration-mod/

You will find two GTN Mod links for single and dual integration for the King Air 350. But, check out the Avitab plugin. It's excellent!

There's a beautiful Piper Arrow by Just Flight that comes with GTN 750 integration out the box.

As a pop-up, you can choose the GTN 750 from drop down menu and use it for any airplane that you like. It will take over the navigation as the primary nav unit.

As for the JF AI not showing on the GTN units, I don't have the AI add-on, but let me see what I can dig up.

Thanks Jose. I have that arrow and I must say the cockpit graphics are on par with something from Flight Sim 2004 or less.  And thanks for any AI help with the GTN, it’s much appreciated.  

14 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Looks like you are easing further into XP Jack:)

With JF Global, can you control how many AI aircraft show up in your flying vicinity?

TTM

That will never happen TTM, XP is only nice in that Orbx uses TrueEarth.  Now, if Orbx made an XP Global I’d think about it.  

JF Global has a slider you can use to control the AI. It doesn’t give a specific number as far a I can tell but the AI are very detailed.  My little Orbx world was so stinking lonely before this and now it really makes a huge difference! 

15 minutes ago, wain71 said:

Jack most if not all the GA planes I have tested for JF support Gtn750 as standard.. You load plane and it's there already.. 

Thanks Wain. I have the Turbo Arrow but the cockpit graphics look terrible, it’s like the difference between Orbx scenery and default.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:43 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Wain. I have the Turbo Arrow but the cockpit graphics look terrible, it’s like the difference between Orbx scenery and default.

Buddy! I have more that 200 hours of PIC time in real Arrows and that's how it looks. It's a very authentic rendition of the real airplane.

36 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Buddy! I have more that 200 hours of PIC time in real Arrows and that's how it looks. It's a very authentic rendition of the real airplane.

Been in some myself Jose, none of them have jaggy graphics :D

27 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Been in some myself Jose, none of them have jaggy graphics :D

I do not see any jaggies on my screen and I'm very particular about jaggies & shimmers. I run AA at 4xAA + FXAA and it looks and performs well.

I hope you do not mind if I make a suggestion. If you do not have the latest version, download the updater: 

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/144828-updater-download-page-v25-available/

Update to the latest version & raise your AA settings.

BTW, yesterday I purchased the Citation Mustang for XP11 for my bday and I love it! It's not for everyone, but it's one of my fav in P3D so I had to get for XP.

Have a great day!

3 hours ago, JoseCFII said:

do not see any jaggies on my screen and I'm very particular about jaggies & shimmers. I run AA at 4xAA + FXAA and it looks and performs well.

Quite right. Jose, this is perfect, no jaggies.  Man, this has really changed things for me for the better.  Appreciate it!

However, I downloaded that update but have no idea how to install or run it.  It doesn't have and exe file :blink:

just place the folder in the usual Xplane11/Resources/Plugins folder Jack, then the Skunkscraft Updater option will show up in the sim and you can update the planes by downloading only the files that have changed. If you want, you can also configure it so your planes are automatically kept up to date

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Quite right. Jose, this is perfect, no jaggies.  Man, this has really changed things for me for the better.  Appreciate it!

However, I downloaded that update but have no idea how to install or run it.  It doesn't have and exe file :blink:

The Mustang is available at the org store. Let me know if you need the link.

When you download the SkunkCraftsUpdater_v2.5.zip drop the extracted folder into the XPlane 11 plugins folder. After you load XP you will see SkunkCraft Updater. When you click on that it opens the updater and it will tell you if there's an update. If there is, click on the right box to update.

1 hour ago, TerryM said:

just place the folder in the usual Xplane11/Resources/Plugins folder Jack, then the Skunkscraft Updater option will show up in the sim and you can update the planes by downloading only the files that have changed. If you want, you can also configure it so your planes are automatically kept up to date

Thanks Terry, I’ll try this.

1 hour ago, JoseCFII said:

The Mustang is available at the org store. Let me know if you need the link.

When you download the SkunkCraftsUpdater_v2.5.zip drop the extracted folder into the XPlane 11 plugins folder. After you load XP you will see SkunkCraft Updater. When you click on that it opens the updater and it will tell you if there's an update. If there is, click on the right box to update.

Thanks Jose.  It’s on my to buy list, I found it.  Right now I’m setting up the Toliss A319, xCamera is working great, but still trying to configure a couple of things.  Trial and error I guess.

Also, your settings create a slideshow at EGLC but with Global Traffic set to max and your settings I’m landing at EGLL, Heathrow right now and I’m getting 22-25 but it’s very smooth.  This Airbus is amazing.

3 hours ago, JoseCFII said:

This is the one thing I hate about XP. Updating can be a nightmare.  I installed it but when I ran XP it told me I can’t use it because IT is not up to date.  I got the very updated in your link.  Why can’t everything be nice and simple like Orbx?

:banghead:

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

This is the one thing I hate about XP. Updating can be a nightmare.  I installed it but when I ran XP it told me I can’t use it because IT is not up to date.  I got the very updated in your link.  Why can’t everything be nice and simple like Orbx?

Yep, in this regard X-Plane is a bit - let's call it - dilettantish.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Jack,

When you put updater in your XP plugins folder it will appear in your plugins dropdown menu. That's the one thing I failed to mention.

There's certainly a learning curve when dealing with XP11.

38 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Jack,

When you put updater in your XP plugins folder it will appear in your plugins dropdown menu. That's the one thing I failed to mention.

There's certainly a learning curve when dealing with XP11.

Thanks Jose, this is exactly what I did. And it worked, but it said it was an old version, so now I have to try to find it. This is what I meant about frustration, chasing down updates like this.

Archived