Layering Guide for all Orbx Products

CXA001

Hi all,

I looked through all the documentation and searched here in the forums and could not find anything.

Is there an example on how all Orbx products should be layered in P3Dv4.5 that I can refer to?

It seems that everytime I run an update from Orbx Central, some of the ordering is changed and is incorrect.

For example, Orbx Libraries Lookup & Orbx Libraries Global was installed at the top of all my scenery and some other layering was changed even though I do have the correct insert points configured in Orbx Central.

Orbx HD Trees and HD building should go where?

Thanks in advance,

In theory this should be the case, but in reality when adding other scenery, things tend to get move around a bit, so I am looking for the correct order for Orbx scenery.

Regards,

This does help.

Couple of questions:

1. Does the Orbx Global Trees HD & Orbx Buildings HD belong just above Default Scenery?

2. Orbx Libraries Lookup & Orbx Libraries Global shoud be just above Sharuah (Default Scenery)?

3. Here is my scenery order. Does everything look okay?

Everything was fine, until I did my last Orbx Central update and everything seem to go out of whack.

I really appreciate your help on this.

P3Dv4 Scenery Layering.jpg

@CXA001 I'm confused by a number of things regarding your scenery library.

Why do you have multiple duplicate entries, such as:

• Orbx!OPENLC_EUROPE1 (1) and Orbx!OPENLC_EUROPE1 (2)? There should only be one entry of these. Delete the light green entry and remove the '(2)' from the remaining entry's name.
  • Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (1) and Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (2)? Again, only one of these is necessary. Delete the light green entry and remove the '(2)' from the remaining entry's name.
  • Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (1), Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (2), Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (3) and Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (4)? Delete entries (1), (2), and (3), remove '(4)' from the remaining entry's name.

I cannot confirm your point 1 and point 2 questions unfortunately. I have installed Orbx products in the "old way". Someone will hopefully answer those for you.

Other points:

• Are all the '(scenery name) elevation stub' and '(scenery name) scenery global' entries made by you or did Orbx Central 4 create those?
    Seems extra work to create individual entries for files that would all habitually reside in the same shared 'Prepar3D v4\Scenery\World\scenery' folder.
    Also, makes the sim take longer to read the individual folder locations at start-up.
  • Given that you've installed the vast majority of your 3rd party scenery as add-on.xml entries (dark green) as opposed to scenery.cfg entries (light green), why don't you consider moving your FlyTampa, FSimStudios and PacSim sceneries to the add-on.xml method also?
    Highlight one scenery at a time and click the 'Edit scenery' button, then in the next window click on the 'Move to add-on.xml' button and 'Submit'.
  • Along the top row of buttons in Lorby's P4AO program, there's a 'Backup/Restore' button. Click on 'Create Backup' before making any changes in future. Means you can revert to your previously good settings easily or at the very least, have set of files to compare with.

I have made a backup and deleted the duplicates as suggested.

The scenery name elevation stub & scenery global were not created by me but by Orbx when I installed each scenery package.

The reason some of my scenery is not installed via scenery.cfg instead of add-on.xml is because they have configurators to adjust the scenery and some of them do not work if installed with the add-on.xml method. 

Regards,

Here is an updated.

I removed all my Orbx scenery and reinstalled everything from Orbx Central into an Orbx library (located at D:\Orbx Library). Again, I was getting Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (1) and Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (2), etc. and the layering was all over the place.

I removed all my Orbx scenery and reinstalled everything again from Orbx Central but this time to my default Prepar3D 4.5 folder and guess what? No double names and the order of all Orbx scenery is perfect.

Regards,

Hi

It is my understanding that when scenery items are installed outside the simulator via the .xml method it does not matter what order they appear in the scenery library. Only if they are installed to the simulator root folder and appear in the scenery.cfg is when the layering has any affect.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, F737NG said:

Why do you have multiple duplicate entries, such as:

• Orbx!OPENLC_EUROPE1 (1) and Orbx!OPENLC_EUROPE1 (2)? There should only be one entry of these. Delete the light green entry and remove the '(2)' from the remaining entry's name.
  • Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (1) and Orbx!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (2)? Again, only one of these is necessary. Delete the light green entry and remove the '(2)' from the remaining entry's name.
  • Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (1), Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (2), Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (3) and Orbx!OPENLC_zBASE (4)? Delete entries (1), (2), and (3), remove '(4)' from the remaining entry's name.

This is completely normal behaviour, do not delete these.

Many of your questions are answered in the Insertion Point section of the user guide, including the duplicate entries and how Orbx Central layers scenery.

Archived