no automobile traffic after I installed Global base

1 hour ago, mikegg@comcast.net said:

If I uninstall, can I reinstall later?

Hello mikegg, welcome to the forums.

Have you also installed the Orbx Libraries and Object Flow in Orbx Central ?
I don't think you can uninstall and reinstall, I think they replace the simulator default textures.

Orbx Libraries and Object Flow.jpg

Makes sense, but I changed nothing when I installed Global base. Traffic is set to around 20-25%. I believe it has to do with the masking or priority of the textures. The road textures are somehow blocking the traffic from showing. If you look closely at the screen shot you can see where the traffic ends. I should have made that more explicit. I also believe I have less static ground airplanes at airports, but I don't remember what that used to look like. There is some active aircraft traffic

Hi there,

as Doug mentioned, neither the ground textures nor the road textures have anything to do with traffic density. Road traffic is generated by an entirely separate set of vectors that make road vehicles spawn along specific (major) roads.  

There's a global file of population density that regulates road traffic based on landuse type, meaning urban areas spawn more vehicles than rural areas. I'm not sure but I believe there's also a time-of-day component to simulate rush hours, which may influence how much traffic you see at a given hour.

The only way to affect road traffic via third-party add-ons is by excluding the traffic vectors. Global Base doesn't contain any exclude files. Also, since there are some vehicles visible in your screenshot the vectors are present and thus density is regulated by your slider setting and the above mentioned population density file.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi, Holger,

Thanks for the reply. Though your logic makes perfect sense, there is the reality of what I'm experiencing. I've attached another screen shot. The left part of the photo is part of a 3rd party scenery, and the right part is the generic scenery. The left part has many cars and they disappear right in the middle of the screen. There are no cars on the right side of the screen. This is with ground traffic set at 90%. I slewed to the point where the ground traffic stopped.  I know what I was experiencing before the purchase and I can plainly see no cars now in most of the world. I do see cars in the demo Iceland scenery.

I don't mean to be contrary, but I know something changed and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. Is there something in the land class that says the new highways are not roads? I don't know how to explain it. I tried removing the scenery and that had no effect. I reordered the scenery as well. The purchase also included the simobject display engine and the world airports. What is simobject display engine? I uninstalled and reinstalled them as well to no effect.

2020-3-1_22-22-44-966.jpg

To amend my last message...I tried another area, Southeast Florida. There are no cars on most of the roads, but there are vehicles on one major highway. There used to be cars on many smaller roads and for example in the iceland demo there are cars on all the smaller roads.

There's something happening here and I don't know what it is...

Hello,

following Holger's detailed explanation,

here are two images of Florida that might help to convince you that he is of course entirely correct.

These are taken in a completely default version of FSX which has no addons at all, from any developer.

Road traffic is set at 100%.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If you have traffic in a third party addon and not in the adjacent default scenery, it is because the third party developer has added traffic where there was none before.

Archived