AUv2 shadows around gable markers

Nick D

Using AUv2 and I have these triangular shadows around gable markers.  Seems to happen at every airport. Does anyone have a fix for this? I tried validating all of my files and making sure everything is up to date but that didn't work. 

I have had this problem before and I somehow managed to fix it but I can't remember what I did :/ 

Thanks in advance for any help

IMG_2355.jpeg

I've just tried it and can confirm that turning off ground scenery shadows does fix it.

I have also ,worked out if I remove the file Orbxlibs_AUv2_airport_markers_FS.BGL from my FTXAA_ORBXLIBS/Scenery folder both the gable markers and the shadows go away. 

I also found this thread https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/174826-ceduna-ycdu-auv2/ and thought maybe this could be related. I tried the replacement file from that thread and still had the same problem though

Also worth mentioning is that for airports where I have additional scenery (for example I have the YLIL scenery) this problem doesn't occur. I guess the gable markers in that scenery are not broken in this way. I don't think its possible for me to get it to just use the ones included with YLIL instead of the broken ones for the other airports though...

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to confuse the issue unnecessarily, but I've had this issue in the past - even in P3Dv4. So ... I did a quick search for that file and all three <??> of them were dated May 2019. None of them have the September date that Frank mentions.

airport-markers.png?dl=1

However - in my last two or three visits to AU (all different airports) a day or so ago, all seemed OK. I suspect the 3rd BGL is the P3Dv4-specific file that's in use on my system ... are the other two there for backwards compatibility?

Adam.

56 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

I don't want to confuse the issue unnecessarily

No worries, this is confusing :)

All 3 on your list are outdated and not there for backward compatibility. There should be only one "..._airport_markers_..." file with September date in the FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\scenery folder. The one in the FTXAA_ORBXLIBS main folder (not in the scenery folder) is definitely in the wrong place.
Try deleting all of your three "..._AUv2_airport_markers..." files and verify files again.

10 minutes ago, Frank Schnibben said:

No worries, this is confusing :)

All 3 on your list are outdated and not there for backward compatibility. There should be only one "..._airport_markers_..." file with September date in the FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\scenery folder. The one in the FTXAA_ORBXLIBS main folder (not in the scenery folder) is definitely in the wrong place.
Try deleting all of your three "..._AUv2_airport_markers..." files and verify files again.

Thanks, Frank. I actually ran the "verify files" option yesterday. I nearly always do this after an upgrade or hotfix anyway (it doesn't take that long).

I set the three files to *.inactive and re-verified. No new versions were downloaded :huh:

So ... I then *renamed* the files as well as keeping the extension as .inactive. This did the trick. Looks like the verifier ignores the extension, so the correct procedure is (as you say) to actually DELETE the relevant files. However the problem remains that the ORBX Central update/hotfix installer (or even verifier) somehow isn't removing redundant versions - nor overwriting/replacing the old version.

Off to Australia to test ... wish me luck!!! :D

Adam.

Hey guys

I had a few files with .off etc as extensions from before when I first tried to resolve this problem, so I deleted those as well as the normal file and did a verify files again to ensure I was getting a fresh copy. A new copy downloaded when I did the verify files so I assume it is the right file, but it still had the same problem. I also tried the file above that Nick attached, but that one was the same. 

I also checked in the sim when I had the file deleted to make sure again that the shadows were coming from that, and without the file there were no dodgy shadows.

It's also worth noting again that any airports that I have other scenery for don't have this issue (so YMML for example doesn't have the issue because I have YMML scenery - same as YLIL; but YCOE, where I took the last screenshot, does have the issue because the only scenery I have for that airport is as part of AUv2.

Nick

55 minutes ago, Nick D said:

I also tried the file above that Nick attached, but that one was the same. 

Still 90° rotated markers with giant shadows? Did you delete all marker files as described above and placed the file provided by Nick into the FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\scenery folder?

Huh I didn't notice the rotation but that has been fixed up and they are now pointing in the right direction at least.

Yes that's correct, that is exactly what I did.

Here's what it looks like now:

T2.PNG

Ok so the date on the file is now September 22nd 2019 at 04:43. I downloaded the file above and had the same issue with it. I even diffed the files (this one attached above and the one I had in my ORBXLIBS\scenery folder after doing the verify files) and they are identical.

I also tried clearing the shaders cache but that also didn't help.

I guess there is no easy way for me to replace the gable markers in this file with the ones in the YLIL scenery since those ones seem to be working fine?

37 minutes ago, Nick D said:

I guess there is no easy way for me to replace the gable markers in this file with the ones in the YLIL scenery since those ones seem to be working fine?

This will not work because they have different GUIDs.

Since updating and verifying the Orbxlibs actually works fine in this regard, there must be another (older) file interfering on your system. Try a search all over your system for *AUv2_airport_markers*. Perhaps there are remnants in OC library folders or elsewhere.

I did already do a search for any files that matched airport_markers and didn't find any extras.

Maybe I need to go through and completely delete and reinstall my orbx scenery? I would rather not do that though since I still only have ADSL where I live and it will take some time to redownload everything

20 minutes ago, Nick D said:

Maybe I need to go through and completely delete and reinstall my orbx scenery? I would rather not do that though since I still only have ADSL where I live and it will take some time to redownload everything

Please wait before deleting everything - I hope we will find a more convenient solution. :)

Ok thanks.

I've just gone through and turned down a bunch of graphics settings including disabling DX10 mode, and turned off all scenery except for FTXAA_ORBXLIBS and FTXAUv2_05_SCENERY since they both seem to be required for this problem to present itself.

Then I looked into which files were under each of those groups to try to get more specific. From FTXAA_ORBXLIBS/Scenery I removed (moved away into a temporary location on my desktop) all files except for Orbxlibs_AUv2_airport_markers_FS.BGL, and from FTXAUv2_05_SCENERY/Scenery I moved out all files except for FTX_AUS_YTYA_objects.bgl and ADE_FTX_AUS_YTYA.bgl (testing at YTYA atm since I was just flying around there), and with only those three files remaining the problem persists (but with any of them removed its gone, along with the gable markers). 

I'm not sure how helpful this information is for you but I'm just trying to get you as much detail as possible in case it helps. If there is anything else you would like me to test please let me know.

Since its just these files causing the problem I don't think redownloading the scenery is going to help at all

Here's a screenshot from YTYA with my settings down low and only those 3 scenery files in place

Capture.PNG

Yes, I did mention before that turning off ground scenery shadows gets rid of the shadows. 

I disagree with you that shadows in FSX are inherently broken though. For me this is the only problem I have with them, so I would rather this single scenery object be fixed rather than me having to disable a part of the sim graphics options

Yes, I did mention before that turning off ground scenery shadows gets rid of the shadows. 

I will defer to our developer although the developer of the Direct X 10 Fixer has this to say:

In response to a user request I have agreed to include some tweaks for FSX Ground Shadows.  The fact that I agreed to do this does not mean that I recommend that you enable Ground Shadows or believe that you will have a happy experience if you do so… 
In my view Ground Shadows are expensive in frame rate, don’t work very well and since many sceneries have never been tested with it enabled then they are likely to show problems. 
So if you enable Ground Shadows and find that your frame rate drops and your scenery looks a mess please do not complain to me. 
There are two types of Ground Shadows supported by default in FSX 
 Flat Shadows (aka FS2004 Shadows) 
 Volume Shadows 
Flat Shadows are drawn on the ground and do not shade the object itself or other nearby objects.  This is very similar to the aircraft shadow that you see on the ground. 

Issue 2: Transparent Flat Shadows  
The following picture is from Orbx CEN4  
Unfortunately the rectangular model used to overlay transparent runway markings has the shadow property set.   This results in FSX drawing the “shadow” to each of these transparent squares as a black square.      
No criticism is intended of the scenery author, it’s a consequence of the history of this FSX feature.  Because Ground Shadows have faults, no one tests sceneries with them enabled leading to more faults. 

It could perhaps be that removing the shadow from the model will fix your problem.

That’s interesting. I always knew some people had problems with ground scenery shadows but wasn’t sure why, since for me they’ve been ok. Thanks for the info. 

Removing the shadow from the model sounds like a good solution. I’m guessing that would have to be something that comes in an update to the libraries and not something I can do?

Yay! A result!I I wasn't going to add to this thread (as my P3D inpiut is irrelevant!!) ... but ... well done ;-)

Though I no longer run FSX, I had a fair bit to do with Steve (DX10 Fixer) - though I disagreed with him on the shadowing. I found that the extra shadows cast by both terrain and autogen (trees in particular) really helped add depth to the landscape - albeit with a framerate penalty. I do remember having the odd glitch (gables included) but thought it was worth it.

Adam.

The assertion by Steve Parsons is that the FSX ground shadows are broken and this is indisputable.

If a user is lucky enough not to see broken shadows or not to be troubled by them,

then that is another matter.

Having said that, the shadows on these airport markers are an odd shape.

• 1 month later...

Archived