Global TerraFlora - what and where?

andy1252

I've just bought and installed Terraflora and as far as I can tell the install has created a single entry in my scenery_packs.ini file - (Custom Scenery/TerraFloraXP/) as the very last entry in the file, i.e. at the bottom.

Some questions, in the absence of any documentation with the product,

1) is this correct. location wise? I guess it is effectively a library to XP so the location may be irrelevant?

2) is everything self-contained in this folder, or does it install replacement files in \RESOURCES or wherever?

3) How does it relate to products like the simHeaven Forests packages, or even the SFD Global Forests?

Trees, along with water, are one of the things I've found myself struggling most with in XP

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

none of your questions would be answered in a user guide in any case.

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I would like to think that the first two questions are certainly things that ought to be covered by at least a readme with the product, but I'm not bitching about it.

1) is this correct. location wise? I guess it is effectively a library to XP so the location may be irrelevant? yes

2) is everything self-contained in this folder, or does it install replacement files in \RESOURCES or wherever? everything is self-contained and managed by Orbx Central (v4.0.23 needed)

3) How does it relate to products like the simHeaven Forests packages, or even the SFD Global Forests? don't know, but if they do the same thing then I guess it's a choice 

I purchased Global TerraFlora today and am trying to install it with Orbx central 4.0.23. The install has been running for more than five hours. Apparently it hasn't completed because on the Global TerraFlora download page I have a blue button top right near the PRODUCT OWNED text with a spinning circle. When I check the downloads it has nothing in the queue and Task Manager is showing Orbx Central using about 10% of the CPU. There is no Terra Flora folder in Custom Scenery nor an entry for Terra Flora in scenery_packs.ini.

Nick, I has restarted Orbx several times including after a reboot. The Global TerraFlora is show as Predicted Owned Version 1.0.0 ready to Install  and has the blue "Install" button. Pressing it, after reboot, has the same effect I reported earlier.

Nick, problen solved. I created a Library on my D drive moved  my TE Washington there then tried installing Terra Flora there and it installed in seconds. Just prior to that I had changed the locations where ORBX stores backups and temp files during installation to the D drive and changed the max file size to unlimited. One of those, I think the temp file location, had the maximum size set to 9.2 GB and was full. 

Regards

KP

@andy1252 Just as a note to your second question. Terra Flora does replace a couple of the default X-Plane textures in the resources folder so that autogen houses and gardens also have updated textures instead of the default. This is however handled completely automatically by Orbx Central.

4 hours ago, Karl Hoybye said:

@andy1252 Just as a note to your second question. Terra Flora does replace a couple of the default X-Plane textures in the resources folder so that autogen houses and gardens also have updated textures instead of the default. This is however handled completely automatically by Orbx Central.

Hi Karl, and thanks for the info. At the risk of being a PITA, could I possibly ask which textures/files? I've got all sorts of tree/forest related stuff in my XP setup and I know some of the other products have replaced resources as well, and I'm trying to get a handle on it all. I have a second, fresh, install where I can test, and I'm trying to get my main setup back under control! Too much stuff added to it initially without a good handle on what was going on.

Not a major problem if you can't answer, as I ought to be able to work it out by experimentation, but if I can get it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, I'll know for sure.

2 hours ago, Karl Hoybye said:

Not a problem Andy!

Terra Flora replaces 2 files in the directory: Resources\default scenery\1000 autogen\forests\textures 

The 2 files are "ag_trees_eu_ALB.dds" and "autogen_trees_ALB.dds"

Cheers, Karl

Thanks Karl, I'll make a note of that on my system for future reference.

Archived