Orbx Central 4.0.16

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

Operating system:  

Simulator:  

Screenshot:  

Issue:  

May I ask what exactly the new update to Orbx Central was supposed to accomplish?  Scenery layers are still backwards/out of order, particularly the sequence of the Vector entries is still incorrect.

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Have you installed Vector into an Orbx Library?

Nick,  Yes, I have, thus my question.  Every time I run Orbx Central to reinstall Orbx airports (because I'm installing them into an Orbx Library), I must correct the Vector layer ordering.  I thought perhaps the latest OC update would have corrected this.  If not, so be it--I can wait.  But the rest of my scenery library, as far as Orbx entries are concerned is pretty jumbled.  3rd party airports remain where they should be.  That hasn't affected my flying so far, but it sometimes makes for difficulty verifying if an airport has been installed in the correct order or not.  Most of the time, "not".  Again, though, I can wait.  I find OC not difficult to operate, and in many ways, it's better than FTX Central, so I'm sticking with it.

1 hour ago, sim123 said:

Have same issue, have nothing in ORBX Library , all in P3D Root , and order is exact backwards you have in layer ordering.

My Scenery CFG  starts with :  Vector_Exx and  ends with Vector_OBJ

This is what 4.0.14 was doing.

Have you activated the Fastlane, so you get the latest version?

This problem with the Vector entries continues, but only when new scenery is added/installed.  Merely opening Orbx Central does not affect the Vector layers.  One must alter the scenery library in some way in order to see the Vector problem.  Again, this is not a serious problem in running the sim, just a minor irritation.

Carry on then!

Stew

12 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Stewart,

are you on version 4.0.1.6?

I know it's in the title but the problem seems typical of 4.0.1.5

Yes, 4.0.16.  That's why I asked the question.  My version of OC acts like it's 4.0.15.  As you can see from my screen shot above (post #9), the Vector entries continue to be mis-layered after using Orbx Central to install airports.  Perhaps I should reinstall Orbx Central?  I'm not using Advanced Layering, in case you were wondering.

Hello Stewart,

I wonder if this has anything to do with using saved scenery.cfg files?

If I start from a default scenery.cfg file, Orbx Central adds every product in

the right place and in the right order.

Could you try renaming your scenery.cfg file, let P3D create a new one, close

P3D and run Orbx Central.

See how the scenery order looks then?

Hello Stewart,

if Vector is installed into the P3D folder, its scenery library entries should be read from

ORBX\Scripts\VECTOR_lib.cfg.

I have made a test and discover that in the event of that file being missing, Orbx Central

makes up its own entries that look like yours.

I attach the file that I expect that you are missing.

Please put it into ORBX\Scripts, run Orbx Central and see if the entries are then as they should be.

VECTOR_lib.cfg

Hello, Nick.  I'm afraid that didn't work.  OC failed to place Vector in the scenery.cfg.  This is after I started from scratch with a new scenery.cfg and then ran OC, but Vector entries were absent when I ran P3D and looked at the scenery library.  Curious that this is so much trouble--it should be pretty straightforward.

Hello Stewart,

it is that straightforward but it looks like something has gone wrong for you.

It seems clear that Orbx Central is not reading the Vector scenery configuration from

ORBX\Scripts\VECTOR_lib.cfg despite your stating that Vector is installed into

your P3D v4\ORBX folder.

As it does so on mine and I can replicate the odd Vector scenery order if I remove that file,

it looks like your installation and mine of apparently the same files, is in some way different.

Under the circumstances, would you recommend a re-install of Vector then?  Also, I noticed the entries in the VECTOR_lib.cfg file were characterized by "Area.xxx" entries.  Does OC recognize those and correct the entries when it installs Vector?

So would you recommend a reinstall of Vector?  I can fly in the full fat regions, of course, but not elsewhere without some strange results, as you know.  Or I can manually install each of the Vector folders by using the P3D scenery library "add area" function.

Edit to add:  Ahh, I see with no Vector installed, there are some strange issues even within a full fat region.  Odd.

Yes.  Some odd textures (black areas, night textures, etc.) at CZNL.  I think a re-install of Vector is in order, don't you?  Hopefully Orbx Central (4.0.16) won't mess up the layers order again.  Might there be a problem with my version of Orbx Central after all?

Things seem to be back to some degree of normalness now.  I revived my backup scenery.cfg, which had Vector correctly installed, ran Verify Files on NRM, since that scenery was a possible source of the texture problems at CZNL, ran P3D, and the scenery library looks to be fixed, with Vector correctly layered.  The Orbx regions and airports are still layered in haphazard or in reverse order, but that doesn't seem to result in anything goofy--yet.  Clearly, Orbx Central, while an advance over the older FTX Central, still has some kinks to be worked out.

Guest Josh Koz
6 hours ago, chris b said:

Curious as to whether or not we can now move the global base folder out of the root p3d folder yet, with Orbx Central 4.0.16.

We're currently have an open task to investigate Global base installed into a library and whether to lift this restriction. Keep an eye on the changelogs of future updates as we'll note if this change has been included.

I can't believe how complicated all this is getting. Using Orbx used to be so easy, but now there are all these installation and migration options which, quite frankly, have me totally confused.

As an end user I should be able to plug and play. I'm just not comfortable moving, renaming and deleting various folders and files, and hoping that it doesn't cause additional headaches. I've reverted back to FTX Central, and now everything is working fine, although I can't reinstall my Cityscape Honolulu product, which requires Orbx Central.

Is there, or will there ever be a detailed tutorial that COMPLETELY explains all the different installation and migration options for someone like me, who really needs additional information on these types of things? Thanks.

Pete Locascio

So you're saying I have to create a separate Orbx Central library folder somewhere on my machine, and install object flow into it?

When I was using Orbx Central, before I went back to FTX Central,  the object flow box was checked, and on start up, P3D asked if I wanted to activate it. I said Yes.

I never had to create a library for it. Doesn't it know where to go?

13 minutes ago, Tamba765 said:

So you're saying I have to create a separate Orbx Central library folder somewhere on my machine, and install object flow into it?

When I was using Orbx Central, before I went back to FTX Central,  the object flow box was checked, and on start up, P3D asked if I wanted to activate it. I said Yes.

I never had to create a library for it. Doesn't it know where to go?

For years the flight sim community has been asking for the ability to install everything via the .xml method which FTXC3 was not able to do.

In order for that to work ObjectFlow needs to be dealt with differently, hence installed into a separate library.

I'm still not getting it. As I said P3D had a prompt on startup, to activate Object Flow, so it was there right? Also, when you say a separate library, I'm not sure what you mean. Do I create a file somewhere on my machine, or does it have to be in a specific location? How do I install it in a separate library. Does it ask that when you check the box next to it or what? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to make things worse. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

Hello.

If you have decided to use Orbx Central instead of FTX Central:

You need to go to your Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder and delete the Objectflow folder that FTX Central added to it.

The FTX Central version only works if FTX Central is itself installed.

Then, you can either open the User Guide in Orbx Central, if you have installed it, or you can read the same guide here

Pages 17 to 20 deal in detail with how to set up Orbx Central Libraries.

Once you have set one up, this topic will bring you up to date.

Maybe it's just me, but this seems very complicated. Do I need to uninstall FTX Central first, or will all my products show up when I install Orbx Central? Do I have to migrate anything? When I initially installed the prior version of Orbx Central it worked fine, and I didn't move anything or create any library files. I only started having serious scenery issues when I installed the latest P3D hot fix. It seemed like all my scenery files suddenly got rearranged. 

After looking through my computer files, I found a folder on my C drive, located outside of my sim, that was called "Orbx Library" Inside that folder there were 2 additional subfolders "p3dv4" and "Orbx ObjectFlow" I don't recall making these files,  so it seems they were created spontaneously.

9 minutes ago, Tamba765 said:

Maybe it's just me, but this seems very complicated. Do I need to uninstall FTX Central first, or will all my products show up when I install Orbx Central? Do I have to migrate anything? When I initially installed the prior version of Orbx Central it worked fine, and I didn't move anything or create any library files. I only started having serious scenery issues when I installed the latest P3D hot fix. It seemed like all my scenery files suddenly got rearranged. 

I never installed the latest hotfix.

Life is much simpler that way, as is my sim system, which gives me no trouble at all.

:rolleyes:

Archived