"manual conversion" TrueEarth GB South HD to SD

S3rg1o

First things first: This ins not a support request.

I want to downsize orthos rom TrueEarth GB South. I've tried a simple app to downsize textures files (.dds) to half (from default 4096x4096 to 2048+2048). witch I did sucefully, but when I load XP with the reduced size tiles, I'm getting errors like the one below:

0:11:38.784 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a910xf8e0x17.ter
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | ../textures/a910xf8e0x17.dds
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:168)
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a clue of what that exactly means, even less how to correct it, so I'm asking any expert in this matter, would it be possible to provide some instructions on how to properly downsize the orthos, as in TE Washington and Oregon SD ?

Thank you

Just now, Rob Abernathy said:

The simple way would be to uninstall the HD version and then install the SD version via Orbx Central.  No other software needed this way.

That would be possible if there was an SD version of TrueEarth GB South, witch there isn't at the moment, or I wouldn't have created this topic.

22 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Yes, of course, sorry for the wrong information.  Must have had TE WA  on my mind!

I'm really hoping for an SD version of all GB packages, I've bought GB South but I'm starting to have disk space problems. I have TE SD versiond of Washington and Oregon and they're perfect for me... if Orbx releases SD versions for GB I won't hesitate on buying North and Central, assuming South would be free to owners of HD version already.

In the meantime I'm struggling to convert original HD to half definition...

15 hours ago, S3rg1o said:

First things first: This ins not a support request.

I want to downsize orthos rom TrueEarth GB South. I've tried a simple app to downsize textures files (.dds) to half (from default 4096x4096 to 2048+2048). witch I did sucefully, but when I load XP with the reduced size tiles, I'm getting errors like the one below:

0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Error, could not locate image file for terrain
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a910xf8e0x17.ter
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | ../textures/a910xf8e0x17.dds
0:11:38.784 E/SYS: | (REN_terrain.cpp:168)

I don't have a clue of what that exactly means, even less how to correct it, so I'm asking any expert in this matter, would it be possible to provide some instructions on how to properly downsize the orthos, as in TE Washington and Oregon SD ?

Thank you

Hi. This indicates that the conversion process did not complete. Normally to resolve this you would Verify Files, but in your case it would probably result in all the work you may have done being undone and the original 4096 dds files being reintroduced. You could try the Verify Files, and then redo your downsizing.

I can advise what the error message relates to but not how to resolve the issue......sorry.

Just having a thought here but if you downsize the texture dds files and the terrain mesh remains the same size, won't that result in a mis-match? In other words, if you use a low res texture and high res mesh, will that give problems?

Dunno! Just a thought....

The other thing would be to try and convert the files in small batches, say 200 at a time, to make sure the conversion process completes properly.

8 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Hi. This indicates that the conversion process did not complete. Normally to resolve this you would Verify Files, but in your case it would probably result in all the work you may have done being undone and the original 4096 dds files being reintroduced. You could try the Verify Files, and then redo your downsizing.

I can advise what the error message relates to but not how to resolve the issue......sorry.

Thank you! your explanation is very helpful, i'll give it a try.

6 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Just having a thought here but if you downsize the texture dds files and the terrain mesh remains the same size, won't that result in a mis-match? In other words, if you use a low res texture and high res mesh, will that give problems?

Dunno! Just a thought....

The other thing would be to try and convert the files in small batches, say 200 at a time, to make sure the conversion process completes properly.

That's a very logical thought, thanks for the tip.

Any idea on how could I downsize terrain mesh files?

Is there a particular way to downsize textures ? after doing it with a generic pic converter, I'm always getting errors saying all .dds files do not exist.

"WARNING: we are missing the texture: Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/textures/ab60xfd10x17.dds"

but all are present I didn't move them nor change their names

somehow during orbx installation they get some particular ID, that after downsizing them that ID is gone...

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I don't know too much about X Plane 11 but does it perhaps need the files to be dds DXT 5 before it can see them?

Yes, they are dds DXT5, even after size reduction.

I just don't have a clue why XP keeps giving me that error, if files are present, all of them.

I've just rerun "verify files" in orbx central, and it didn't reinstall the original 4k .dds files.

So reduced size doesn't seem to be the issue...

DONE IT !!!

I converted all original 4k dds to jpg reducing to half size at the same time, and the converted all jpg to dds DXT1 with generated mipmaps (had a precious tip from a friend) 

Now I'm enjoying TrueEarth Great Britain South in 2k resolution orthos, much faster to load and even more fluid, 40+ fps, on xEnviro stormy weather.

:D

5 hours ago, S3rg1o said:

DONE IT !!!

I converted all original 4k dds to jpg reducing to half size at the same time, and the converted all jpg to dds DXT1 with generated mipmaps (had a precious tip from a friend) 

Now I'm enjoying TrueEarth Great Britain South in 2k resolution orthos, much faster to load and even more fluid, 40+ fps, on xEnviro stormy weather.

:D

Glad to hear you have achieved your objective 

Archived