Land instead of ocean

There appears to be a problem with FTX NCA.  From airport O48, down the coast of California all the way to KMRY, the lower boundary of FTX NCA, the ocean has been replaced with land.  The Pacific coast south of KMRY does not exhibit this problem, nor does the coast north of O48 all the way up into FTX PNW.  I have "verified files" for OLC NA, FTX NCA and Orbx Libs, but no joy.  Any ideas where the problem lies?

Thanks in advance.

Stew

Thanks, Doug.  I verified Vector, but......ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ was placed last instead of first, and ORBX!VECTOR_APT was placed first.  It's Orbx Control that is placing these entries incorrectly, I'm afraid.  Whatever order the installer(s) place the airports and sceneries, etc., I leave 'em alone.  But you might have seen my earlier posts in the Orbx Central forum about that program placing Orbx regions and airports in reverse alphabetical order?  No real problem with that, running the sim wise, but items *are* out of order, and Vector seems the worst affected.  I'll make the change and report.  Hope these glitches are fixed soon.  I hesitate to use the advanced layering fix until some of the kinks are worked out of that one.

Stew

6 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I verified Vector, but......ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ was placed last instead of first, and ORBX!VECTOR_APT was placed first.  It's Orbx Control that is placing these entries incorrectly, I'm afraid.  Whatever order the installer(s) place the airports and sceneries, etc., I leave 'em alone. 

Nick had discovered from another post that Orbx Central is not placing these correctly and he has reported it....so I would definitely move them like I have in my above image and see if it makes a difference.

12 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Nick had discovered from another post that Orbx Central is not placing these correctly and he has reported it....so I would definitely move them like I have in my above image and see if it makes a difference.

Hi, Doug.  I can't change the order, using SimStarter NG.  I save my changes, then go back and look at it again, and it's back to the old layering.  Since Vector was installed to an outside library, I'm thinking I'll reinstall to the P3D root folder, since P3D won't let me change the layering either.

5 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I'm thinking I'll reinstall to the P3D root folder, since P3D won't let me change the layering either.

Sounds like a good idea, I have chosen to install everything only to the root folder for now. I also hope your global base is not installed outside your sim...

10 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Sounds like a good idea, I have chosen to install everything only to the root folder for now. I also hope your global base is not installed outside your sim...

Global Base is installed to P3D root folder--Orbx Central won't allow any alternative.  To uninstall Vector, can I simply use Orbx Central to do so?  Or do I have to go hunt for residual files elsewhere?

Doug,  The problem remains, even after installing Vector in the P3D root folder in the correct order as you noted above.  Still land out there in Monterey Bay and up past the San Francisco Bay.  Northward from O48 on the California coast it's normal.  But at least the Vector layers are now correct.

5 minutes ago, Tamba765 said:

Also, I don't see an uninstall option for Global Base, just verify files. Is this intentional? Thanks.

Yes, it is intentional. Global base is not an addon, it is a default texture replacement, so if you uninstall it there will be no default textures and the simulator will no longer work.

3 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Stew

Have we done a verify files of Global base yet? lol, after all it is required for OpenLC NA to work properly...

Yes, with FTX NCA activated, the problem persists.  Is there perhaps something in OLC NA that is causing the problem, cuz FTX NCA is fine except in that narrow band between Monterey and O48, somewhat north of San Francisco.

58 minutes ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Mine is working fine. Is yours installed to the root sim folder? Maybe a full uninstall and reinstall of OLC NA is needed?

I'll try anything!  LOL!  On a side note, the damned Orbx Central is reordering my Vector entries, even though Vector is installed in the root sim folder and I have ordered them correctly.  :banghead:

Edit to add:  It shouldn't matter where OLC NA is installed, should it?  There appears to be a conflict between FTX NCA and OLC NA or, perhaps, Vector.  I might try disabling Vector and see what happens after I reinstall OLC NA.

Doug,  Reinstalled OLC NA in the sim folder, still no joy.  Uninstalled the Vector folders, but no joy, even shuffling the layers into correct order.  Is there a .bgl file somewhere in FTX NCA that turns off water bodies?  I recall there is such a file somewhere in Vector, but disabling Vector didn't solve the problem.

Hi guys,

FTX Regions are 100% self-contained meaning Base, openLC, and Vector will have no impact on waterbodies or other features within the region's coverage area (presuming they are properly ordered at lower display priority than the region).

NCA removes all waterbodies (and other scenery elements) and replaces them with its own version. Both the exclude and replacement files need to be in place for the add-on to work correctly, which would have been checked via verification or re-installation of NCA. 

If the issue is localized then it's likely that a third-party add-on contains a local exclude file. Thus, I'd suggest deactivating all third-party add-ons at higher display priority and then re-activating 50% at a time until the culprit is found. Also, a suitable cross check is to move all four NCA entries to the top of the scenery library to confirm it's not NCA itself.

Cheers, Holger

59 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi guys,

FTX Regions are 100% self-contained meaning Base, openLC, and Vector will have no impact on waterbodies or other features within the region's coverage area (presuming they are properly ordered at lower display priority than the region).

NCA removes all waterbodies (and other scenery elements) and replaces them with its own version. Both the exclude and replacement files need to be in place for the add-on to work correctly, which would have been checked via verification or re-installation of NCA. 

If the issue is localized then it's likely that a third-party add-on contains a local exclude file. Thus, I'd suggest deactivating all third-party add-ons at higher display priority and then re-activating 50% at a time until the culprit is found. Also, a suitable cross check is to move all four NCA entries to the top of the scenery library to confirm it's not NCA itself.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, Holger.  I've noted that deactivating NCA eliminates the problem.  That would seem to point to NCA as the problem, correct?

I have a profile for "California" set up in Simstarter NG in order to fly within the two Californias.  There were only 4 third-party add-ons at higher priority than NCA.  Deactivating these four did not solve the problem.  As noted above, deactivating NCA eliminated the land mass off the coast of Monterey up to and past the SF Bay Area.  I can try verifying files for NCA, just to make sure everything is ok.

Edit to add:  Verifying files for NCA didn't help.  There is something goofy with NCA, because I can deactivate NCA and the Monterey Bay becomes normal water.  I would try allowing P3D to rebuild the terrain.cfg file, but the last time I did this, it made things worse--all the way south, down the California coast.

Hi,

Did you activate the advanced layering option? When I tried this, I had similar problems. Water was gone in areas, where it always have been. Turning it off again, brought it back for me. So I have disabled it at the moment.

Rgds

Reinhard

3 hours ago, aua668 said:

Hi,

Did you activate the advanced layering option? When I tried this, I had similar problems. Water was gone in areas, where it always have been. Turning it off again, brought it back for me. So I have disabled it at the moment.

Rgds

Reinhard

Hello,  No, I have not activated that option.  But thanks anyway.

Stew

I had the problem with the yellow ocean and it was related to VECTOR_EXX.  When I unchecked it the problem went away. My final solution was to move VECTOR_EXX to last in the Vector list and checked it and the yellow ocean has no longer been a problem. :)

On 9/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Stew

Maybe try a verify files of Vector and ensure your vector entries are in the same order as in my below image.

Vector Entries.PNG

I had this issue and that fixed it! Central ordered my library wrong

Hi Stewart,

Edit to add:  Verifying files for NCA didn't help.  There is something goofy with NCA, because I can deactivate NCA and the Monterey Bay becomes normal water.  

How many files do you have in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA06_CVX\scenery? There should be 80 in a complete installation of NCA.

I don't think that terrain.cfg would be involved because if the custom entry for the water bodies were missing then you would see no water at all in NCA or any other NA Region.

Cheers, Holger

3 hours ago, bluestar said:

My final solution was to move VECTOR_EXX to last in the Vector list and checked it and the yellow ocean has no longer been a problem. :)

That's the correct location for that file.  Orbx Central botches the order of the Vector folders.  Every time you use Orbx Central, you have to go back and correct the order of the Vector entries.  PITA.

2 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Stewart,

How many files do you have in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA06_CVX\scenery? There should be 80 in a complete installation of NCA.

I don't think that terrain.cfg would be involved because if the custom entry for the water bodies were missing then you would see no water at all in NCA or any other NA Region.

Cheers, Holger

I have 80 items, Holger.  Mysterious........

Hi Stewart,

not sure what you mean by "attach the folder", it's more than 1.65GB.

Perhaps you can post a top-down screenshot, zoomed out, of the northern boundary of the problem area (O48), so I can check what's actually missing. 

From your description it seems like the water file that covers this area is the one named "cvx_FTX_NCA_water_1518w_SanFrancisco_summer.BGL". If you right-click it and select Properties it should list a size of 4.76 MB (4,993,028 bytes). Can you confirm? 

Cheers, Holger

Archived