Why is one better than the other?

paulk

Hi

This is just a personal observation, but TE USA Washington seems to run so much smoother on my PC than TE GB North, Central and South does.

The FPS are higher, even around Seattle and if I pan around in views it is instant, no pauses, just very fluid.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if there is a reason for this?

(I use XVision and UWXP)

Hi John 

Thanks for your comments, you are possibly correct.

Although, Washington State has many many trees to draw, perhaps buildings take up more FPS than trees. 

I can depart Leeds airport heading 140 (this is prior to the Orbx EGNM Add on) and seem to only get low 20 FPS heading towards Leeds city centre. I do the same in Washington, depart SEA heading north towards downtown Seattle and seem to get high 20s and a much more fluid sim.

Hmmmmm anyone else noticed anything.

Yep. I suspect autogen texture resolution is too high in TE GB series, especially South. The initial release was less taxing on performance and I noticed a FPS decrease following SP1. I'm hoping Orbx provides an option to select texture resolution similar to WA TE enhancement pack. Personally, I like the high resolution for POIs but don't really care about the autogen stuff (especially when there is an FPD tradeoff). 

1 hour ago, MM100 said:

Yep. I suspect autogen texture resolution is too high in TE GB series, especially South. The initial release was less taxing on performance and I noticed a FPS decrease following SP1. I'm hoping Orbx provides an option to select texture resolution similar to WA TE enhancement pack. Personally, I like the high resolution for POIs but don't really care about the autogen stuff (especially when there is an FPD tradeoff). 

There is an option to revert back to the less demanding version of autogen within TEGB South.

Open the Overlay folder and you will see 2 autogen folders. The 1st is called "Autogen" and the 2nd is called "Autogen_old" If you check the Properties you will find the file marked as autogen is 190mb versus 22.7mb for the one labelled "Old".Rename the folders so that "autogen" becomes "autogen_old" and vice versa.

You will now have the less demanding and original version of Autogen.

Hi Jon

Thats a very interesting post by MM100 and yourself.

If reverting back to the less demanding autogen old version in TE GB South, I notice the Autogen folder has 99 items in it and the Autogen Old folder has 87 items in it, will this cause a problem.

Thanks.

PS I notice the autogen folder in TE GB North only has a Autogen folder in it (no autogen.old) however, it is only 20.5 MB and contains 80 files so I’m guessing it’s the less demanding version of autogen only?

MM100

Thanks for joining in on my original posting.

I really think Jon is on to something with this and it should help improve our FPS rates for TE GB.

I’m not near my PC at the moment so can’t try it out.

Its a shame ORBX have not made it an option in the Settings of Orbx Central for each of the TE GB Versions. (Hint hint)

I notice that TE Washington doesn’t have a Autogen Old folder, just an Autogen folder which is only about 19MB so I’m guessing it’s lower version Autogen. Even the HD Autogen folder is only 29MB.

Jon may well have released some great info here, where I, like you, was not aware of. I wonder how many others were not aware of this, just a little concerned why the Autogen folder has more files in it than the Autogen old folder. I’ve asked Jon so hopefully he can explain.

Hope to try this out in the morning, let me know your results.  

The autogen in TEGB South was given PBR treatment when the major SP for TEGB South was released. The option to use the newer or the older version of autogen was therefore possible and was actually discussed in a topic way back when on this forum. Central and North have not had the same treatment to my knowledge, hence the lack of Autogen_Old.

Here is the link to the TEGB South SP1 announcement which highlights the change to PBR and the additional 300+ new POIs:

Copy the link address into your browser.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/169598-te-gb-south-xp11-sp1-list-of-features-and-improvements/?tab=comments#comment-1491199

Archived