How to set-up GeForce 1660 Ti for Optimal Graphics ?

MZee1960

Hi Guys,

My ATI Radeon HD 7970 bit the dust after 9 years of faithful service.

Today, I opted to install Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti as a 'temporary replacement measure' until a new system is built  (planning early 2020 now - waiting to see what will happen between P3DV5, XP12, and MFS2020 re offerings/specs etc.... before finalizing everything). Hopefully early 2020 will bring a clearer picture of where the state of sim will be heading.

To my disappointment, my sim (FSX currently) is running with screen tearing,  jagged-edged aircraft wings, lots of shimmering textures everywhere, etc.  - a total, cartoonish mess... My old ATI card had Catalyst Control Centre with a slew of settings for AA, Anisotropic filtering, V-Sync, etc. My new GeForce card seems to have only 'Nvidia Settings' which is bare bones and very, very limited. I thought I was upgrading somewhat by choosing the 1660 Ti card, and at the very least was expecting better graphics than what I am getting.

I would very much appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to set-up this new card properly. I have heard of Nvidia Inspector with it's truckload of settings, but having never used it before, I fear I will just make things worse, not knowing what settings will work best in FSX. I know Nvidia cards are very good, just have to find out how best to 'tune them', using what settings,  and with what software. :unsure:

Thank-you, in advance, for any help.

Milan......

Thank-you, very much, Nick, for the prompt reply.

I have never had Nvidia cards in any previous sim computer, so 'tweaking' these and the software used is all brand new to me. I just knew there has to be a more involved program than Nvidia Control Panel, which for the most part just lets you turn filters 'on' or 'off'. I will check out your settings profile and see how things work out even though I don't run FSX in Preview Direct X 10 mode.

Milan.

Hi Milan

Here is a screenshot of what I used to use in FSX. Very similar to what Nick suggested ...

Also once you are up and running perhaps you might wish to have a look at a topic I recently posted in the XPlane section concerning Downsampling. The technique is very general and is not specific to XPlane even though this particular posting was written from an XPlane 11 perspective.

From feedback from other members using your card with XPlane 11 the technique works very well for improving overall image quality while minimizing processing load on the gpu.

It is an adjunct to the Nvidia Inspector settings and allows you to better balance the load on the gpu by reducing some of the settings for AA  to lower values.

The basic idea is very simple -- if we were to have FSX render an image at a higher screen resolution than your monitor resolution and then have the gpu resample (downsampling) the image to the monitor resolution we can get a better quality AA at lower settings (less overall system load) than we would by rendering the image directly at the monitor resolution.

It is a Nivida feature (AMD does it as well but under a different name) and is selectable within the Nvidia control panel. The little writeup I did gives a step by step to go about it.

Congratulations on your new gpu -- it is a very capable performer. The new Turing based architecture that it and the RTX series use is quite spectacular.

Cheers

Pete

XcS3dij.jpg

1 hour ago, renault said:

Hi Milan

Here is a screenshot of what I used to use in FSX. Very similar to what Nick suggested ...

Also once you are up and running perhaps you might wish to have a look at a topic I recently posted in the XPlane section concerning Downsampling. The technique is very general and is not specific to XPlane even though this particular posting was written from an XPlane 11 perspective.

From feedback from other members using your card with XPlane 11 the technique works very well for improving overall image quality while minimizing processing load on the gpu.

It is an adjunct to the Nvidia Inspector settings and allows you to better balance the load on the gpu by reducing some of the settings for AA  to lower values.

The basic idea is very simple -- if we were to have FSX render an image at a higher screen resolution than your monitor resolution and then have the gpu resample (downsampling) the image to the monitor resolution we can get a better quality AA at lower settings (less overall system load) than we would by rendering the image directly at the monitor resolution.

It is a Nivida feature (AMD does it as well but under a different name) and is selectable within the Nvidia control panel. The little writeup I did gives a step by step to go about it.

Congratulations on your new gpu -- it is a very capable performer. The new Turing based architecture that it and the RTX series use is quite spectacular.

Cheers

Pete

XcS3dij.jpg

Thank-you, Pete.  I will definitely check into this as well.  The ATI card came with my old system and was the only one I knew wrt sim settings/tweaks.  I now opted for Nvidia because heard so many good things about them, but frankly was a bit disappointed with the 'out of the box' product's Nvidia Control Panel's limitations re settings for AA etc..

5 hours ago, MZee1960 said:

Making some nice progress .........

xvOKVnC.jpg

Hi Milan 

This is looking very nice indeed.

It's like many things in life, initially a bit daunting but then you develop a feel for the settings and it becomes much easier to develop settings that work very well.

It looks like you're there :)

Cheers

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,  Pete,  for your  'downsampling' thread link. 

I will check this out next,  now that I have the card reasonably well set-up. 

My fps is slightly better vs what it was with my ATI card, as far as I can remember, .. especially at KSEA.

• 11 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, MZee1960 said:

Making some nice progress .........

xvOKVnC.jpg

Hi Milan,

That looks awesome. Would you miond posting what changes you have made to get these results? My graphics are looking far worse with an expensive Nvidea card on an expensive new computer, than they were on my old PC. I need to get it sorted. Thanks.

I upgraded to the 1660ti from my old 760....and the improvement is spectacular. As for settings, I have not used Nvidia Inspector, as I used to do in the past. Instead, I use the Nvidia Control Panel software. Be sure to check the box that allows for Image sharpening. It is the first setting. I have mine at Sharpen .070 and Ignore Film Grain .017. Everything else is default...and as I say, image is spectacular. I have fps set at 30, btw.

Sherm

On 9/18/2020 at 12:15 PM, Calum WE said:

Hi Milan,

That looks awesome. Would you miond posting what changes you have made to get these results? My graphics are looking far worse with an expensive Nvidea card on an expensive new computer, than they were on my old PC. I need to get it sorted. Thanks.

Actually, it turned out I had corrupted scenery files hence why my graphics were ridiculously bad. 

I'm looking forward to getting the benefit of the new PC and graphocs card now.

Archived