New US Washington HD Install crashes X-Plane

kerrygipe

Hello. I just installed US Washington HD using Orbx Central into a fresh X-Plane 11 installation. Now when attempting to start a flight I get the message "Could not locate image file for terrain Custom Scenery/Orbx_c_us_Washington_TE_orthos/Terrain/b230x5340x17sm.terr" and "Custom Scenery/Orbx/c_us_Washington_TE_orthos/terrain/..textures/b230x5340x17.dds."

Upon clicking the "Understood" ( I think) button X-Place closes.

This installation is the first addition added to a fresh X-Plane Install on a new computer build. X-Plane operated fine prior to the scenery install. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Note: Don't know if this helps, but Orbx Central locked up at the end of the install, after the installation complete message, and would not reset no matter what I tried. I ended up doing a restart to clear it.

Log.txt Cycle Dump.txt

OK I appreciate the hint, however I performed the 'Verify Installation' process as per the suggested post, but still have the same error. I went ahead and uninstalled the scenery and reinstalled it again trying the other of the two offered locations (In a library and in the program itself?) with the same result. Running the 'Verify Files' after each if these resulted in the green check mark, and the program installed message, however each had the same result.

After the uninstall I did successfully start X-Plane to verify that the core program is still functioning properly, however after the reinstall I have the same issue with the 'Could not locate image file for terrain...' errors

Have we any other suggestions? Orbx Central is version 4.0.13

Log.txt

Just a little additional info...I mentioned that this is a new computer build. Everything is stock installation, ie no over clocking or any thing  other than straight assembly, install windows 10 followed by XP-11, followed by Washington HD. THe X-Plane and the Orbx are all on the same SSD. I'm attaching my scenery_packs ini (converted to txt) in the event it may provide any answers that I have overlooked.

scenery_packs ini.txt

Getting stuck on ideas now. Need more details from you to assist in trying to find where the problem is happening.

What size is your SSD and what drive is it on?

What drive do you download to and how much free space is there? You can choose which drive you want to download to. You must have enough space for the download plus extraction process., as outlined in this extract from the "Solutions for Installation" post I linked for you:

The initial download of TE Washington is 39GB, the installation uses at least twice that and the installed product is 207GB.

This would indicate that you would need at least 78Gb of free space on the disk you download to and then enough space (207GB) on your installation drive.Can you confirm you have that space available on your download disk?

Hi Jon

The destination drive currently has 1.72 TB free on a 2TB SSD. The files download on my D Drive which currently has 421 GB out of 500 GB free. 

I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ files, as this is a clean windows install, and tried Washington HD again with the same result. I then removed Washington HD again and installed Washington SD with no problems. I don't know what is different in file structures other than file size associated with the lower resolution, but the lower resolution SD installed just fine, as did Darrington and Anacortes. With Washington SD, Darrington and Anacordes installed and active, using the frershly installed Carenado C-208 Caravan, I am seeing a pretty steady 68 FPS, so it doesn't seem to be a machine performance issue. Something else is causing the problem. I have no doubt that the problem is on my end, just getting more stumped at what it could be...

Still no success with Washington HD, however perhaps this might help someone to understand what is going on...

I purchased and installed Oregon HD this afternoon, and experienced exactly the same as HD Washington. I received the 'Could not locate image file for terrain..' error. I performed the 'Verify Installation' process but still got the error. I then removed Oregon HD and installed Oregon SD successfully with no errors. So, Oregon HD is behaving exactly the same as Washington HD. For those who understand the inner workings of the Orbx files, does this  help to shed any light on what could be causing the issue?

Sorry about your problems with the HD versions. I will have to forward this to @Nick Cooper who maybe able to guide us better regarding the installation problems you are experiencing.

Just confirm some relevant points for me:

1. You are using Orbx Central and not FTX central

2. How are you "removing" what bits of the HD versions that have been installed?

@Josh Koz Josh do you have any ideas?

Hi Jon

yes I am using Orbx Central 4.0.13.

I have been uninstalling using the (going from memory - not at home) ‘Uninstall’ link associated with the scenery package in Orbx Central. The link is right beside the ‘verify files’ link for the sceneries. 

I have not been manually removing or moving any files or anything, simply utilizing that uninstall function in Central. I am guessing that it has been working, because it subsequently allowed me to install the SD versions, and as I understand it, Central will not allow you to have both versions installed. I have also visually verified that the SD versions are actually installed and displaying in place of the default X-plane scenery. I have also installed 3 other Orbx sceneries in the region besides the SD packs and these all installed with no issues.

Also I have been installing everything within the Xplane program, not in remote libraries, although I did try a remote library with one installation to see if it made any difference (it didn’t). 

I am betting that the issue is related to this being a brand new computer build. I have installed the C++ files, but could there be some other similar type dll that the HD version requires,but the others do not, that most people would have by default, but which might have been missed being installed with the new Win10 install?

Thanks for your response. This is a bit beyond my expertise especially if it is related to your brand new PC. I cannot confirm, but am not sure that a HD version requires additional dlls or similar, that would not be required by the SD version. The difference between the 2 versions is that the HD requires conversion to dds and SD doesn't because it is already shipped as dds. The error message regarding the missing texture file is typical of the incomplete conversion process. I am unsure about how to advise you further.

There is a programme which does fast conversion called release210candidate but I am unwilling to provide further details before I get a response from the Orbx devs as to what they think is problem. To me it looks like something is preventing a complete conversion process.

Please advise @Tony Wroblewski @Josh Koz or forward to an Orbx staff member.

Do you have the 2 missing files in your installation of TE Washington HD? You know the name and location of the missing files as they are in your initial post quoting the error message.

Do you have any jpeg files in your TE Washington Orthos Texture folder?

Check inside your TE Washington Orthos/terrain and /Texture folder for the 2 missing files

Yes, I do have both files. There are no .jpg in the TE Washington Orthos/Terrain  or  /texture folder, only .TER in the terrain and .DDS and .PNG in the Textures folder. However I currently have SD installed, not HD. Should I reinstall HD and see if I have any .JPG then?

I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem as Kerry because I'm receiving the same error message. I'm anxious for a solution. I'm running Windows 10 and installing on drive D (My X-Plane install in on Drive C). Attached is a screen shot of the error that comes when X-Plane loads.

MissingFiles.jpg

Guest Josh Koz

Hey guys,

If your currently using Orbx Central and suspect something has gone wrong with the installation of a product, make a new topic within the https://orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/283-orbx-central-support-forum/.

From there, we can diagnose if and why something has gone wrong with the installation. Be sure to include your central.log file or we won't be able diagnose what the issue may be.

OK, I have removed Washington SD, and physically removed the directories (A,B,andC). I will make a new Washington HD installation attempt, then file a new topic, with the resulting Central.log at the requested location.

And Jon, I greatly appreciate all of the effort that you have put forth here!!!

Archived