EGLC not added to scenery.cfg

pmb

I bought EGLC for Prepar3d4 a few days ago and added it via ORBX Central (up to date). I didn't migrate any sceneries yet and thus added this one into the simulator as well. Installation seems to have gone fine.

The scenery is there under

J:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGLC

as it should. I can open the Control Panel and see TE is active. However, there is no entry added to the scenery.cfg file (attached) in

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4.

Now, I would know how to add the scenery manually, however, I think this isn't the way it should be done with ORBX sceneries.

I already evoked the "check files" procedure running without issues. Next, I uninstalled and reinstalled EGLC but with the same outcome.

Logfile of  ORBX Central is attached as well.

Now I am running out if ideas,

Thanks for any hints and

kind regards, Michael

central.zip scenery.zip

Thanks Doug.

I just tried this, but unfortunetaly it led to a red

"An error occured while trying to synchronize your simulator".

Logfile (after the failed sync) is again attached. 

Intuitively, I feel the next step would be to uninstall and re-install ORBX Central - right?

Kind regards, Michael

central.zip

Tried restart and reboot, didn't help. Uninstalled (without deleting the generated files) ORBX Central and reinstalled and tried to synchronize again. However, this again leads to "An error occured while trying to synchronize your simulator".

The issue seems to be with ORBX Central rather EGLC, perhaps the topic should be shifted to ORBX Central support accordingly? I just detected LYBE, which I bought and installed before but didn't find time to try, is not in scenery.cfg as well. Anyway, I'll make a search though the ORBX Central support forum if I can find a related issue.

My next take would be uninstalling ORBX Central including all traces under AppData, but I'll wait for further suggestions before.

Perhaps I should mention I use SimStarter, but I've been using this for ages without any issues in conjunction with ORBX scenery.

Thanks for helping,. Michael 

Edit: It didn't take long to find a related issue in the ORBX Central support forum:

Thanks. I just found those reports as well and looked for a scenery.cfg file (empty or not) under 

C:\Users\Michael_Basler_2016\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

but there is none in my case.

Kind regards, Michael

May I ask someone from the ORBX Central team for suggestions how to proceed? To summarize, I have two (presumably related) issues:

- I cannot synchronize simulators, leading to the red "An error occured while trying to synchronize your simulator".

- Recent sceneries I bought are not being added to scenery.cfg.

The above shows the steps already taken. Logfiles are attached.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Michael, Doug,

The error that outlines the issue appears in the central.log file here:

2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] - System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key 'Layer' was not present in the dictionary.
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Utilities.Configuration.Scenery.Area.FromSection(ConfigurationSection section)
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Utilities.Configuration.Scenery.SceneryConfiguration.Rebuild()
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.ConfigureStage.UpdateSceneryConfig()

This indicates that there is an entry within the scenery.cfg that is missing a Layer. Currently Orbx Central doesn't protect against a scenery.cfg with entries missing layers and throws the above error. I've created a task to implement some protection against this issue so the scenery.cfg rebuild will still happen and new entries will be added. 

The fix in this case is to find the entry within the scenery.cfg file that's missing a layer and add one. Then re-syncing the simulator (and potentially verifying the files) should resolve the issue.

5 hours ago, Josh Koz said:

Hi Michael, Doug,

2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] - System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key 'Layer' was not present in the dictionary.
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Utilities.Configuration.Scenery.Area.FromSection(ConfigurationSection section)
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Utilities.Configuration.Scenery.SceneryConfiguration.Rebuild()
2019-09-01T19:38:49.925Z [INFO] [Saturn] -    at Saturn.Jobs.Install.Stages.ConfigureStage.UpdateSceneryConfig()

This indicates that there is an entry within the scenery.cfg that is missing a Layer. Currently Orbx Central doesn't protect against a scenery.cfg with entries missing layers and throws the above error. I've created a task to implement some protection against this issue so the scenery.cfg rebuild will still happen and new entries will be added. 

The fix in this case is to find the entry within the scenery.cfg file that's missing a layer and add one. Then re-syncing the simulator (and potentially verifying the files) should resolve the issue.

Thanks Josh, for chiming in. I'll do so tonight and report.

Kind regards, Michael

17 hours ago, Josh Koz said:

Hi Michael, Doug,

Hi,

I just made my way carefully through the 617 entries in my scenery.cfg, but couldn't find anyone without a layer entry. scenery.cfg file is attached.

Kind regards Michael

scenery.zip

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Michael,

That is very unusual. It may also be that the scenery.cfg failed to parse for whatever reason. We have a new version of Orbx Central that is currently in beta testing which includes a new Advanced layering feature which will handle any issues that may be detected with the scenery.cfg and work around these. We'll hopefully have this publicly available soon and it will likely address the issues your encountering.

Thanks for making me aware, Ben.

Unfortunately this didn't cure my issue.

I have been on fastlane already. Opened ORBX Central and the update kicked in. Next, I activated the Advanced Layering System checkbox. Now, ORBX Central did work for a while ending with the ugly "An error occured while trying to synchronize your simulator" again. 

I tried to sync via the help menu option, but with the same outcome.

Logfile is attached.

Kind regards, Michael

central.zip

I just renamed scenery.cfg and let the simulator generate a new (minimum) one which is attached. ORBX Central (now the recent 4.0.12) still doesn't sync.

While this scenery.cfg only covers few entries (compared to my full one) my add-on.xml-based sceneries are still intact, of course. It already occured to me, the issue might not be within the scenery.cfg but within the add-on.xml realm?

Kind regards, Michael

scenery.zip

Hi Nick,

I am approaching my wits' end here. I renamed the original scenery.cfg and replaced it by the minimum  one I attached above under

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Next, I deleted central.log from

C:\Users\Michael_Basler_2016\AppData\Roaming\Orbx\Central

I opened ORBX Central, went to Help and tried to synchronize, and it gives the red error message again. The new central.log is attached here. It reports a host of FTX entries and others which are all NOT in the active (minimum) scenery.cfg. I checked once more, but there is noy stray scenery.cfg under

C:\Users\Michael_Basler_2016\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

There must be some different place where ORBX Central reads the info from...? As far as I can judge, the scenery.cfg is still the same after running ORBX Central (i.e. minimum).

Besides, I see an entry

"The given key 'Layer' was not present in the dictionary."

however, I can't connect it to a special scenery entry.

Kind regards, Michael

central.zip

Hello Michaeal,

sorry to cause all this touble.

It looks, as you suspect, that the "Layers" message is about something else than the scenery.cfg file.

I don't suppose you could attach your programdata add-ons.cfg file and if it is not empty, the one from appdata as well?

Thanks

Thanks Michael.

The only place left that I can think of is in the add-on.xml file, where there is

<Layer>?</Layer> in some but not all of the files.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone else's addons but I can see that it is in the files for

BuidlingsHD, EGLC and KSUN but not for LYBE.

Hopefully there will now be more than enough information in this topic for the Orbx Central

team to determine what is happening and do something about it tomorrow.(0035 hrs there now).

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Nick,

I am all but an expert on this add-on.xml stuff, but as far as I recall, layer entries are (unfortunately) indeed not mandatory in the add-on.xml files. I am pretty sure some of my addons have them and other don't. But this would apply to most of the ORBX users, wouldn't it?

Feel free to ask in case you need more info.

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael,

I agree.

I am a novice at the add-on.xml method, in fact I don't like it much, but I am hoping

that Josh will come back to this topic in the morning and with the extra information

that you have kindly added, he will be able to find out why it's not working for you.

I have left him a message asking him to do so.

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Michael,

It is indeed the same issue with a Central not correctly handling the absence of 'Layer' key missing somewhere. Unfortunately the log doesn't specify where or in which file it encountered this. However there should be enough information in this topic to for me to recreate this issue on my end and implement a fix. We have an internal task open to track this and will follow up once a fix is in place.

I just upgraded ORBX Central to 4.0.13 and can gladly report P3D4 snychronization as well as addition of newly bought sceneries are working now. Thank you to Josh for working on this and also for the support by Nick and Doung. From my side, this topic can be marked as solved now.

Kind regards, Michael

Archived