XP11: 2W3 Swanson - Bunny Hops & Ground loops

TigerTigerM

On reflection, taking a tundra tired aircraft for the first flight into Swanson was probably over optimistic.

Forgetting to lock the tail-wheel didn't help either.

I arrived at dusk as the locals sat around their BBQ's & the air was heavy with the scent of cremating steak & cigars.

I proceeded to land heavily, bounced way up, came down, bounced lower, then executed 3 x 360 degree pirouettes down the airstrip.

The locals didn't know whether to run or applaud.

But they did offer me a beer before pointing out the rest room.

TTM

3 miles out, Mt Rainier in the background.

SxCcL1U.jpg

Late afternoon sun reflection on the water.

yOjeY4E.jpg

Yes, there are lights. Under the left wing strut. Lights are good for night landings.

yQVzUsb.jpg

Lining up & dropping the flaps.

mo1EL9x.jpg

At this stage the locals were probably impressed.

OXrkYjR.jpg

Over inflated tundra tire & hard tarmac don't mix. Up we go.

Lyq4z5K.jpg

Back view of the 2nd bunny hop.

7VR6SXy.jpg

The 1st pirouette. The locals were reaching for their drinks in case they had to run.

wlcQ6ZY.jpg

End of the 3rd pirouette.

If you cast your eye down the runway, from left to right, you can see just how uneven it is.

Nice touch.

HwqO6Z0.jpg

Spectacular shots! Oddly enough, I just completed a flight to 2W3 from Bowerman, what a lovely flight, and just landed on 16 with winds 220 @ 8knts haha not a smooth one.... but then taxied up to the same house as you! Cheers!

7 hours ago, Daan said:

Great shots, what sky textures are you using?

Ok

I run Ultra Weather XP v2.5.1 & X.Vision, & theoretically somewhere I ticked boxes so that they would play nicely together.

The Sky is Ultra Weather XP #12. This gives a  lilac undertone.

The Clouds are #3, or could be coming from xVision.

Note that getting new settings into Ultra Weather is a bit of a safari, you must read the manual to understand how to do it.

I was getting some nice scarlet sunsets, but an XP update stuffed that.

To get them I had xVision/Shaders, under Lighting, tick the box for "general glow of night texture", change the Red setting to 1.6 & leave blue & green at 1.0.

That worked then.

At the moment I haven't found where I lost the red  & I am getting more muted colors.

If you are after pink/red sunsets then try setting XP Scenario clouds to 'cumulus' & look for sunsets roughly between 5.45pm & 6.40pm.

I pause &  move the time around, it makes quite a difference.

Good luck

TTM

Archived