Out of Memory in P3D4

Greetings,

I have been getting an out of Memory notification whenever I try to fly around the San Francisco area, including KHAF Half Moon Bay , KSQL San Carlos and KSTS Sonoma.

The warning appears before loading has finished, although initially I used to be able to load Half Moon Bay and get into about five minutes of flight before it appeared.

My computer specs are pretty high and I can fly around KSAN San Diego International with the 3D enhancements selected in the Control Panel whilst flying the Quality Wings 787 with no problems at all.

The problem seems only to affect the area around San Francisco after purchasing and installing the surrounding airports during one of the recent sales.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Jesper Hansen

OOM.jpg

It sounds like the same problem I recently encountered (different area). For some reason my page file was set to just 1GB. Don't know how that happened but setting it manually to 16GB solved the issue. Once I got it running I then reset the page file to system managed and it's been fine ever since then..........Doug

Thanks for the reply Doug.

I tried the Page File solution but it did not work in this case.

I also tried loading another non ORBX airport in the San Francisco area with the same result.

Whilst loading I noticed the Terrain Data loading finishes at about 70% and then the sim begins loading the auto-generated scenery which is when the OOM sign appears.

It seems strange that it is only this area that is affected in the P3D4 Simulator.

I also use XPlane with ORBX addons in England with no problems.

Very Strange.

I tried the Memory fix and the cached Memory went right down [ thanks for that tip ] , but the Task Manager only shows 9.3 GB of the 16 GB of Memory available, with 6.4 GB in use [Compressed] even though I've only got the Browser and Task Manager running.

There is a program on my system called RamCache which when I disabled it increased the Memory available by 2.4 GB.

Memory Usage

Tried loading San Francisco International After all that but the OOM warning still pops up during the loading.

I've also included the Virtual Memory information if that helps pinpoint whats going on with my system.

796974875_VirtualMemory.jpg.83bcb5a5dc30d24e00b9f0b854e01578.jpg

Thanks for the assistance so far,

Jesper

PS. Below is the Memory before disabling RamCache

Memory after FS shutdown.jpg

Actually what you have shown is very informative. If I read it correctly, only 850 GB is available and not the 1T (100 GB unallocated!), and only 24 GB (3%) of this is free, thus your computer does not have enough disk 0 space to store the ever expanding (as the computer is used) page file.

All is not lost. Someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you how to partition the unused space, if can be appended to the C: partition, and if it cant how to get the page file assigned to this new partition.

Edit

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/extend-a-basic-volume

"You can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent unallocated space on the same disk."

Exactly what you want to do.

Thanks for the feedback Guys.

I noticed how low the free space was so cleaned up the drive and deleted a lot of stuff to get it up to 21% free [ 181Gb ].

I also reset P3D4 back to the default settings in the Display Options and loaded up Half Moon Bay.

It loaded up [ yahoo!! ] and I took off for San Francisco International where 5 minutes into the flight the OOM warning came up again :-[

Tried a long flight around Melbourne International YMML with Australia V2 without any problems.

The 95 Gb of Unallocated space on Disc 0 was done by the company that built my system , and am not sure if extending the C drive into it is the solution I need.

• 2 months later...

Just an update for anyone looking at this post,

I decided to upgrade my computer system when I couldn't resolve this problem and reinstall everything on a fresh install of Windows 10, and "Hey Presto" no more Oom's!

There were a few CTD's [Crash to Desktop] initially but eventually everything settled down after a Bios reset and have just enjoyed an IFR flight from Half Moon Bay to San Francisco International landing through the low fog on 28L :)

Archived