Ortho XP11 and True Earth

Sorry, another question: File size after conversion is huge. Using TE Washington renders most of these ortho rendundant. If I wanted to just keep the ortho that covers the non TE Washington regions, what would I keep and delete? 

Hi,

My questions is similar. I currently use ORTH4XP generated tiles but wish to remove them to save space and just use the TE Washington tiles. Is there a list of tiles that I can reference to remove the ones I do not need from my ORTH4XP library.

Thank you.

I asked this question before Washington was released as I have all Forkboy's orthos too. The reply was to the effect that it would be obvious once I had the product!

Make what you will of that.

Perhaps someone will now give a sensible answer!

Page 8 of the user guide shows the coverage area. Since all ortho tiles in XP cover 1 degree by 1 degree of latitude/longitude, it should be easy to find the tile to exclude. Google Earth will help with finding the corners if you're uncertain. Here's a .kmz for the initial POIs from the topic below that should help you zero in on the relevant lat/long:

TEUSA WASHINGTON (Suggested POIs).kmz

Note the tiles in NW Washington aren't outlined but that shouldn't be a problem.

I think you will find  the answer in the TE Washington/Ortho/Earth nav data folder. Open each of the 2 files in there, +40-120 and +40-130. In those files will be the dsf files that you can then check if you have duplicated in your Ortho from Forkboy or Orth4xp. Then remove the Forkboy/Orth4xp copies to a safe area in case you need/want to replace them and you should now have no duplication. 

8 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I think you will find  the answer in the TE Washington/Ortho/Earth nav data folder. Open each of the 2 files in there, +40-120 and +40-130. In those files will be the dsf files that you can then check if you have duplicated in your Ortho from Forkboy or Orth4xp. Then remove the Forkboy/Orth4xp copies to a safe area in case you need/want to replace them and you should now have no duplication. 

Brilliant!

5 hours ago, mauricecohen said:

The Forkboy2 Oregon orthos cover KVUO, so "they" refers to the "US othophotos," not just the WA ones.

Eureka! Wondering why no ortho after I installed and loaded KVUO. Wrong State!!!! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Thanks, but I have a question or two. So we delete the duplicate dds files from X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\z_ortho_Washington_v6a\Earth nav data. However, how about the texture files in X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery\z_ortho_Washington_v6a\textures. How do we know which ones to remove? Don't they have all the weight?

I am confident that you will find that there is no Forkboy2 WA orthos dsf file that is not also covered by TE WA and hence that you can delete all of the Forkboy2 WA.  I will verify that this evening (UTC -6) and confirm.  (I have no space problem, so just placed them lower in the .ini scenery file)

Yes...my mistake. I switched to Oregon. The ortho certainly livens up the Portland area around KVUO and seems to blend quite well with TE ORBX. I took a flight up to Mt. St Helens on a gorgeous sunny morning (July 1st, with ASWXP and Ultra weather in VR). Only issue was the frame rates when leaving Portland. I imagine it’s the different scenery and lack of optimisation, as no such problems in TE Washington regions and cities. Anyway, the ORBX scenery around St. Helens is EYE-DROPPING.

I have now compared the coverage of the Forkboy2 WA orthos and the ones in TE_WA and I was wrong (but not by much): there are 3 dsf files in the Forkboy WA that are not in TE_WA - +46-117.dsf, +47-117.dsf and +48-117; these cover a very thin vertical strip of Washington on its eastern edge and a large vertical strip of Idaho on its north-western edge.  The thin vertical strip of the eastern edge of Washington is missing in the TE_WA.

On the other hand, TE_WA has 3 dsf files that are not covered in the Forkboy2 WA orthos (+45-120.dsf, +45-121.dsf, +45-122.dsf), they are, however covered in the Forkboy2 Oregon orthos.

Archived