FTX PNW - Blue blotches sometimes near water

It seems in PNW (possibly other regions, haven't checked yet), I get these blue blotches or spots on the terrain. It only seems to happen with certain terrain textures (in particular, forest textures). I also get the feeling that it happens whenever there's water nearby, like a lake or river.

One pretty obvious example is at 21W. Note that I have turned off autogen, shadows etc. to make it more apparent:

786d9be470487698722b29eecdec2980.jpg

e212229955343b40779ec51aac8eddbe.jpg

When moving closer, it becomes less obvious:

c5e034a7ee28b04199f1b1654c099f9c.jpg

And also when moving farther away:

d6021002144fb077ab39dd428d467fb5.jpg

Another example (forested mountainside just above the lake):

e32cfd8fc3502b8169decd5c9ea66c42.jpg

Again it vanishes when you get closer:

186eab314b7b186e03ddbe98667c62ba.jpg

I've tried:

Verifying the files
-Running the migration troubleshooter (no errors reported), migrating the files again from FTX Central
Re-installing PNW
-Verifying files of PNW and the OrbX Libs
-Disabling any other addon scenery
-Disabling HDR, shadows, water reflections, FSAA etc
-Increasing and decreasing the LOD radius, tessellation and other World-related settings

Hi Jimmi,

the textures in question represent subalpine forests and have small patches of residual snow in them, something that isn't uncommon even in summer. If you use the top-down view the context becomes more obvious.

Cheers, Holger

NA PNW 026b2su1.jpg

I might try a re-install if that would help. But first I was wondering whether anyone is running P3D 4.5 with somewhat similar specs to mine and could check out out 21W?

Hi again,

sorry, I misunderstood. Indeed, there's a bug in P3D that interprets near-black pixels as water in textures in the same grid cell as a river or lake and at a specific distance range from the user aircraft. We flagged it with L-M but it hasn't been resolved yet. Sorry, I'm not aware of any work-around or specific display setting that would make a difference.

Cheers, Holger

On 7/5/2019 at 4:32 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi again,

sorry, I misunderstood. Indeed, there's a bug in P3D that interprets near-black pixels as water in textures in the same grid cell as a river or lake and at a specific distance range from the user aircraft. We flagged it with L-M but it hasn't been resolved yet. Sorry, I'm not aware of any work-around or specific display setting that would make a difference.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks! Then I know there's nothing wrong with my installation so I don't have to waste hours reinstalling everything :)
It's not a huge deal, and when you have autogen enabled you barely see it. However it would indeed be good if LM fixed this bug.

I guess editing the textures so that black pixels are actually very dark instead of pure black would solve it, but it sounds like the problem is purely on LM's side.

Archived