No buildings since updating True Earth Great Britain South

paul123

I know you said you don't have links but, just to be sure, you aren't using shortcuts or symbolic links at all?

One such mistake is to have the ini file in the storage drive with all the scenery, rather than in the root Xplane custom scenery folder.

Thanks Nick, no problem.

Paul's going to get a vanilla copy of Xplane and just install the ORBX stuff only and see how it looks. What's happening is Xplane keeps creating a second copy of the scenery ini file. I've checked the Xplane shortcuts, links, scenery etc locations, LUA scripts, plugins etc etc all to no avail. Paul says he'll post an update when he has done all my suggestions!

I haven't got Soton Airport - can you have a look at his screenshots and say where the errors are? I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like.

Hello,

here is what Paul sees

Cessna_172SP_16.png

which is, as far as I can tell, the X Plane 11 default version.

Here is the Orbx version.

awxdc3_76.jpg

It does seem pretty clear that X Plane 11 is not looking at the scenery_packs.ini file that you are supplying to Paul, nor does it seem to be looking at

the ini file that X Plane 11 creates either, or Southampton would be added automatically.

All this of course depends on the addons being in the X Plane 11\Custom Scenery folder, along with the ini file.

It looks increasingly to me that this cannot be the case, perhaps the bespoke installation is faulty?

I don't think that even X Plane 11 can create two identical files and let them be in the same location and yet separate.

Windows will not allow that in any circumstances.

Hi again

Thanks for your time earlier. Well I put orbx files on a virgin copy of plane. Southampton now looks fine but GB south is non existent. Put files in order as you said. Given up for now. Will try again tomorrow. Many thanks once again.

1 minute ago, paul123 said:

Hi again

Thanks for your time earlier. Well I put orbx files on a virgin copy of plane. Southampton now looks fine but GB south is non existent. Put files in order as you said. Given up for now. Will try again tomorrow. Many thanks once again.

Stick your new scenery file here Paul. Let's check it one more time.

As far as I understand it all your OrbX folders should be below Global airports. none should be above in the scenery_packs.ini list.

All custom airports should be above global airports.

This is because OrbX TE series do not contain custom airports so putting the overlay above global airports will just hide all those Xplane airports in the area covered.

If there is a  custom OrbX airport (or any other) then having it above global airports will ensure they overwrite any Xplane airports.

Looking at the ini Frizelle supplied he did this so perhaps it was just a typo when he stated overlay should go above global airports?

The two scenery_packs.ini files was baffling as windows should not allow this and automatically rename any duplicates, but then I downloaded the attached scenery_packs.ini and see that it had indeed been automatically renamed "scenery_packs.ini(7)

All I can think of is that one of the scenery folders within the custom scenery folder is generating another one somehow and this could be proved by running the install and the OP will likely see a scenery_packs.ini(8) file.

If that is correct then the clean install should only have one scenery_packs.ini and no duplicates with numbers in brackets and it is just a case of correcting that scenery_packs.ini

Fizelle as always has done Stirling work on rearranging this but the ini he uploaded was incorrectly named (likely because of this weird duplication thing) and named scenery_packs.ini(8)

Xplane would not recognise this and recreate a new scenery packs.ini so possibly there is no duplicate issue and the ini just needs renaming.

I will attach Frizelles corectly reordered ini file with just a couple of minor changes but rename it and you can try it but read below first.

Here is an important consideration when editing or replacing Xplance scenery_packs.ini

Firstly always remember to save any changes you make (I know but it is easy to forget to save an edited ini file)

Xplane WILL OVERWRITE A NEWLY PLACED OR EDITED scenery_packs,ini the first time it is run which of course gets very confusing.

The solution is to run Xplane to the first menu screen and then quit out without loading a flight.

Go back into your custom scenery folder and check your scenery_packs.ini again, you will likely find Xplane has reorganised any new edit made.

re-edit to the order you want and save.

Now run Xplane again and load a flight and your scenery_packs.ini will now remain in that order until you next edit or install new scenery.

When you install a new scenery repeat the process.

Hope this helps.

scenery_packs.ini

10 minutes ago, david broome said:

Here is an important consideration when editing or replacing Xplance scenery_packs.ini

Firstly always remember to save any changes you make (I know but it is easy to forget to save an edited ini file)

Xplane WILL OVERWRITE A NEWLY PLACED OR EDITED scenery_packs,ini the first time it is run which of course gets very confusing.

Hello,

this is not my experience.

If there are scenery_pack.ini entries for all the scenery in the Custom Scenery folder, then

at least here, X Plane 11 leaves it alone.

If there is only one missing, then it does indeed rewrite it and reorder at all.

Well I am back now. Just checked the ORBX Southampton folder and all that was in there was a plugins folder !! File was downloaded correctly from FTX Central. So now FTX Central was saying that Southampton was not downloaded.  So i have now downloaded it again and it is showing as a full download in the file. So ran xplane again (not vanilla version yet) and its still showing the default airport. Double checked the ini.file as procedures above and no idea why. Regarding the 2 scenery packs file, just deleted both again. Ran xplane as David suggested to the first menu screen. Only 1 scenery file showing now but it is not prefixed ini. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyway will run xplane again now and will report back. For some peculiar reason xplane was saving the old prefixed ini. file for some reason but creating another scenery pack file every time I started xplane. 

Screenshot (6).png

Well success with Southampton now that second scenery file has disappeared.. Looking good but can someone with a keener eye than me tell me if the surrounding autogen looks OK ? I have got GB south but it looks a bit like xplane autogen still to me. It might just be me. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

If there are scenery_pack.ini entries for all the scenery in the Custom Scenery folder, then

If there is only one missing, then it does indeed rewrite it and reorder at all.

7 hours ago, paul123 said:

Well I am back now. Just checked the ORBX Southampton folder and all that was in there was a plugins folder !! File was downloaded correctly from FTX Central. So now FTX Central was saying that Southampton was not downloaded.  So i have now downloaded it again and it is showing as a full download in the file. So ran xplane again (not vanilla version yet) and its still showing the default airport. Double checked the ini.file as procedures above and no idea why. Regarding the 2 scenery packs file, just deleted both again. Ran xplane as David suggested to the first menu screen. Only 1 scenery file showing now but it is not prefixed ini. Not sure if that matters or not. Anyway will run xplane again now and will report back. For some peculiar reason xplane was saving the old prefixed ini. file for some reason but creating another scenery pack file every time I started xplane. 

Screenshot (6).png

I think that possibly you were recreating anew scenery_packs.ini because the original was incorrectly named and so Xplane was not reading it and and creating a new scenery_packs.ini alongside it.

Now you only have a scenery_packs.ini correctly named the duplicate issue should be gone.

Hopefully now all is well. as Nick says the scenery above looks correct.

Try London as that will show a very obvious difference tot eh flat textures you were seeing before. 

Happy flights.

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Yes good additional info.

Most people assume that once the ini is saved and Xplane run it will be preserved though which isn't always the case when editing the ini file so probably best practice to go the route I suggest unless you are sure all scenery in your custom scenery folder are included in your custom_scenery.ini and understand the implications if it is not.

I think you'll get duplicate scenery sitting on top of each other, such as buildings superimposed over others etc.

However I don't have it so I'll let others confirm!

Glad it's all working finally, Paul.

1 hour ago, paul123 said:

Thanks guys. Just one more question. Can you run gbpro with Orbx GB south as I want to keep it for the rest of the UK ??

Theoretically possible by removing from GP Pro all the dsf files in Earth Nav data that are duplicated in GP Pro for the southern area of TEGB.

I won't advise further on how to that because it also has the potential of mucking up all kinds of things if not done correctly an meticulously.

Your best and most efficient bet is to buy the other 2 TEGB regions and you won't have any of the hassle you have been experiencing and the sim will look much better.

Anyway there may be financial constraints in play so possibly wait until another sale is announced.

As a test you could run GB Pro with TEGB South but ensure that TEGB South is above GB Pro in the scenery.ini

9 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

Theoretically possible by removing from GP Pro all the dsf files in Earth Nav data that are duplicated in GP Pro for the southern area of TEGB.

I won't advise further on how to that because it also has the potential of mucking up all kinds of things if not done correctly an meticulously.

Your best and most efficient bet is to buy the other 2 TEGB regions and you won't have any of the hassle you have been experiencing and the sim will look much better.

Anyway there may be financial constraints in play so possibly wait until another sale is announced.

As a test you could run GB Pro with TEGB South but ensure that TEGB South is above GB Pro in the scenery.ini

I was hesitant to suggest that! However it does solve all conundra!!

Archived