Good GA

chumley

Transitioning from commercial jets to GA and seeking views on a good GA aircraft.

Have fiddled around in the last few weeks with MS offerings but with the advent of texture flow, having a few GA fields on the system and PNW on the doorstep I think now is the time to get something a little (lot) nicer but with so much around to choose from indecision is the word for the day.

A nice twin would be good but if a single is the best then that will be the choice - of course it could be a twin and a single but we will see.

Thanks

Aybe

MAN! get the RealAir Duke. It's AWESOME, then buy the RXP GNS 430 XP and put her in the duke's VC. It's just killin'. The RXP Database is from 2007, but I found out that most of the procedures havn't been changed since then, at the smaller fields of course. It has WAAS and Terrain Infor etc. Seriously its the bets GA twin goin. I was an airliners guy until I bought that things and man its just awesome.

I'd agree with realatp.  The Duke's tops.  Realair is the 2nd best Payware aircraft developer out there!

You can't share the cockpit in Gamespy MP but you can fly in separate aircraft in MP.

For VFR small strips/short distances, the A2A J3 Cub with Accusim is the pinnacle of FSX aircraft development thus far.  Ant's Freeware Moth does much the same job and is a fantastic bird.

It depends how you want to fly. Agree with Cub and Tigermoth which is quite different  from the Duke .  If you really like to fly stick and rudder and check out spontaneous scenic things then some of the warbirds are great . I love them for excursions out bush. Turn them on a sixpence and cruise at respectable rates , also they are much more fun to land . Out of those A2A do a good job . The p47 having accusim - most all systems working . They are accusimming some more I believe.  Another great one is the Warbirdsim Mustang - great flight model , although the support has seemed to have had some people in trouble.  Ive never experienced this.

Yep, depends on how you want to fly . A cubs not that good if you want to put in the miles . ( brilliant flight model though )

The Duke's a great plane, but it likes a long runway, so it's not so good for the short bush strips. But it's pressurised, does 200kts+ and is great for the longer legs.

For shorter strips and bush flying, I'd suggest something like the Carenado 185 (taildragger, and traditional bush aeroplane), or RealAir's Scout package (you get 3 planes in lots of configs, from bush, amphib to aerobatic -- really great package), For 6 seats/light cargo, the Cessna 206 is pretty STOL if you fly it right.

Aybe,

If I may.

I am VERY picky about my choice of add-on planes. I don't have many, never buy when it just comes out, and take my time to research a lot (both about the simulated plane AND the real one it's trying to replicate).

Like many others here, I have been in the flight simming community for a long time and I have seen, tried, beta-tested a lot!

There is not a single doubt in my mind that the best plane so far done in FSX (for GA) is the A2A Cub with Accu-Sim. At least in regards to the standards I apply when looking at a plane. It is actually just hard to describe in words how it actually feels to be in it. Here's a link to a little post I made on the A2A forum trying to capture it: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20957

Now, the flip side to it is that it is.... slow. Some like it that way, others don't. And I must admit that I sometimes would like it to be faster myself. And BTW, the dynamics of the float version are amazing.

Lately, Flight Replicas came out with a huge Super Cub package. It is also broken down in smaller packages for less money. I fought long and hard with myself about this. And for once, I broke down for more "emotional" reasons than usual and got it... yesterday. Why? Essentially to support the developper. Mike is a one man shop, very active in forums, quick with updates, etc. For me, it means something. Jury is still out on how I appreciate the flying model and all, and I did have some issues in my first test flight last night. But I might just have been tired. I was a bit surprised about the frame hit however.

Personnaly (and this is VERY personnal) I don't enjoy the Carenado planes much. There is just something about the "feeling" in the VC (and their gauges) I don't like. But they have many fans and good for them.

I have the Lionheart Quest Kodiak also. For the price, it's an okay buy. It's a fun plane, with speed and STOL, and yes I do like the glass cockpit. Mine is updated with the G1000 by Don Kuhn (disclaimer: I am a beta tester). Bill (designer of the Lionheart Kodiak) is also active in the community and does come out with frequent updates. They are some things I still don't like about it, but I can close my eyes on them (like using default sounds); and I still believe the flight dynamics are a bit off (especially the take-off "rocket" performance). It's a larger plane, you can fly procedures and all with it, etc. And it's good on frames.

Now, another great little piece of machine is the FREEWARE Auster J1. I was away when it came out in August so had totally missed it. Saw it just recently in a video, and figured "why not!?". LOVE IT! I have paid for stuff of lesser quality. There are a few hiccups here and there, but this is one fun plane to fly, and cruises faster than my beloved Cub.

I am sticking to those since you mentioned PNW flying. The Duke is a GREAT plane, but will limit some of your flying choices. If $$ is no prob, I would get the Duke for some type of flying with a nice single for other type of flying.

I hope this helps a bit.

Quest Kodiak!!! Great aircraft for PNW.

I also have the Quest Kodiak. It has STOL capabilities. Equipped with retractable gear in the floats it really is the ideal aircraft for combined land and water terrain. Flight dynamics are awesome. The features in this plane (Lionheart Creations) are also amazing for the price.

I also have the Quest Kodiak. It has STOL capabilities. Equipped with retractable gear in the floats it really is the ideal aircraft for combined land and water terrain. Flight dynamics are awesome. The features in this plane (Lionheart Creations) are also amazing for the price.

Speaking of which, does the Kodiak also try to level out automatically for you? The need to constantly press the stick into one direction during turns, fighting the aircraft, really is tiresome after a while.

Speaking of which, does the Kodiak also try to level out automatically for you? The need to constantly press the stick into one direction during turns, fighting the aircraft, really is tiresome after a while.

It does a decent job of leveling out, but since it has a glass cockpit, it has a nice AP too :)

My pick's:

A2A Cub with Accusim

Flight Replicas Supercub's

Realair Scout package

Sibwings O-1

Ants Tiger Moth

Personnaly (and this is VERY personnal) I don't enjoy the Carenado planes much. There is just something about the "feeling" in the VC (and their gauges) I don't like. But they have many fans and good for them.

I'm coincident in opinion here with HercFan

I love and recommend (in no particular order)

Auster Autocrat

Ant's Tiger Moth

A2A Cub

Lotus L-39 Albatross (for zoom factor!)

Carenado Cessna 152 & Cessna 185

Aerosoft Beaver

I have lots of other freeware/payware aircraft, but these get used the most!

It does a decent job of leveling out, but since it has a glass cockpit, it has a nice AP too :)

Yeah, except that this automatic wing leveling is going on my nerves and I'd love to disable it. When I have initiated a turn and and center the ailerons I don't want the aircraft to level out, but to more or less maintain the current turn attitude like any other aircraft. That's one reason why I don't use the Kodiak much after the initial fascination wore off. My arm hurts quick enough as it is without me having to wrestle the aircraft into maintaining the turn. ;)

It depends how you want to fly. Agree with Cub and Tigermoth which is quite different  from the Duke .  If you really like to fly stick and rudder and check out spontaneous scenic things then some of the warbirds are great . I love them for excursions out bush. Turn them on a sixpence and cruise at respectable rates , also they are much more fun to land . Out of those A2A do a good job . The p47 having accusim - most all systems working . They are accusimming some more I believe.  Another great one is the Warbirdsim Mustang - great flight model , although the support has seemed to have had some people in trouble.  Ive never experienced this.

Yep, depends on how you want to fly . A cubs not that good if you want to put in the miles . ( brilliant flight model though )

I have heard that A2A are accusimming the B-17, abd also doing a new F-4 Accusim

I like the Quest Kodiak, there is also a good freeware Maule out there, with Trigear, tundra, ski, and amphib versions. The DH Beaver is also good, and a "classic" bush plane. Have bot tried the duke but it is on my list, next up is the 727 Captain Sim

Dave Garwood does a good DH-86 Rapide for FSX, and the FS9 float version works fine, too

Yeah, except that this automatic wing leveling is going on my nerves and I'd love to disable it. When I have initiated a turn and and center the ailerons I don't want the aircraft to level out, but to more or less maintain the current turn attitude like any other aircraft. That's one reason why I don't use the Kodiak much after the initial fascination wore off.

Strange thing is I have not noticed this since getting the Logitech G940, maybe that is something more to do with the stick having force-feedback though. I must admit I used to find it rather irritating as well.

My arm hurts quick enough as it is without me having to wrestle the aircraft into maintaining the turn. ;)

I could make a joke out of that, but I think it best to leave it at that given this forum is open to people of all ages and not necessarily of my humour.  :o::):o;D

The Quest Kodiak from Lionheart has wing dihedral like many aircraft. I get this wing levelling tendency in a lot of aircraft, and use a little rudder to keep the aircraft in a coordinated bank... I would need to try in the Kodiak, because I haven't used it in a while (bought it in an amazing sale they had some time back... I thought why not!)

GA for FSX: no real order (though I would place A2A's J3 at the top here currently for VFR GA)

A2A Cub - seat of the pants, stick and rudder flying at its best for FSX

RealAir Beech Duke

RealAir anything for that matter...

Carenado have nice models, and they certainly work

Anthony Lynch's Tiger Moth is outstanding

Simwings

Flight Replicas Super Cubs

There are a lot of great addons out there...

Andrew

Of all the GA aircraft in my fleet, from slow to fast, large to small, the one I most consistently pick when I want to fly between two airfields with a reasonable speed, great visibility and able to comfortably handle all but the ultralight strips is:

wait for it...

The Carenado C182RG.

Unlike the 206 it has good forward visiblility, it will cruise at 140 knots, and will land in 500' or so if necessary.  The flight model is good, the instruments are sufficient for the purpose and the autopilot is so old and clunky you give up on it and fly by hand which is what you should be doing in PNW anyway.

It would certainly be my pick for best all-round GA plane for PNW.

As someone who flies exclusively GA Aircraft since I have no desire to fly higher than 12000 Ft or so undernromal conditions 7500 is god enough in Oz since you aint gunna run into anything at that height.

I like the A2A's J3 for bush exploration  it is light  not overly endowed with power but is rather manouverable and can land just about anywhere.

I only twin I have is the Carenado Seneca , great for longer hauls between provincial cities like Tamworth to the Coast so would suit inter city commute in the PNW well.

Low and slow and able to have some real fun in is the Real Air Citabria

I fly the Carenado 152, 172, 182, 182Q and 182 II RG regularly but am spending quite a bit of time in the 185 now as it is a real bush workhorse and would suit the PNW as well

The Quest Kodiac I have but don't fly much ( it's a kero burner) fantastic performance and is well suited to STOL needs of bush flying in that region of the US also.

You can ask 20 people and get a pretty good idea by the number of times the same Aircraft comes up and I'd have to say the big 3 for intercity commute are

Real Air      Beechcraft "Duke" (based on reputation) I don't have it .

Carenado  Piper PA34 "Seneca"

Carenado  Mooney M20J "Acclaim"

Bush flying and exploring in no particular order I feel any of the Aircraft listed below will suit but given the lakes and streams that couls be utilised the float versions of these aircraft could prove to be beneficial also.

A2A 's  Piper J-3 "Cub"

Carenado Cessna 152

Carenado Cessna 172II

Carenado Cessna 182II

Carenado Cessna 185

LIC Quest Kodiak

Don't forget the Stock Maule M7

For the Rotor heads there is only one that is even worth mentioning and that is the

DoDoSim Bell Textron 206

My Choices,

For low n slow... Ants Tiger,freeware but  better than 90% of payware, great

for shared cockpit flights.

High & fast... Realair Duke, best sounding twin IMHO and FAST

Cheers

TonyM

I won't list my GA aircraft, they all have a place in my flying experiences.

However let me say that Ant's Tiger Moth is right up to full professional standard.  I see absolutely no need to buy a commercial version.  Congratulations Antony.

I have quiet a few

Beaver X

A2A Cub

Bird Dog

Bush Hawk XP

Donier Do-27

Kodiak

I like them all but if I had to pick one from expirence with all of them, probably the Beaver because in general it was the most fun. Aerosoft did a great job but i wish A2A would do one with an Accusim package like there Cub.

Lots of planes listed and all deserve it.

@Hercfan

I notice you dont have the Tigermoth from Anthony. im usually a bit wary of freeware but this is payware quality.

@Patrick - i agree with your concern for self levelling. I have completed 6 circuits almost completely hands off in the tigermoth v1.1 at about 300ft AGL, just trimming for altitude. This little darling wont roll back level unless you want it to.

So my picks

PMDG J41 for serious miles and serious flying.

Ant's Tigermoth and A2A J3 cub for low and slow.

and all the rest for a change.

Regards

Trev

Archived