KACK Artifact in P3DV4.4 (Great Wall of KACK)

Orbx12

My purchase id is 5b002edb6b655.

After I updated from P3Dv4.3 to P3Dv4.4 (Client+Scenery+Content) I began to have a strange artifact appear very reproducibly at KACK. This appears when on approach to RWY 6, on approach to RWY 24, and when starting a flight on the tarmac. It appears with add-on aircraft (A2A C182, PMDG 777) and native P3D aircraft (F-22, Commander).  I have the latest Nvidia driver 419.35 for my GeForce 1060 6GB graphics card and all available Windows 10 updates completed. I have KACK updated to 1.20 using FTX Central 3. I have attached pictures which illustrate the issue. The file name identifies the aircraft, where the picture was captured, and a sequence number if appropriate. The screenshot includes an FSTramp display on a second monitor that shows where the plane was when the shot was taken. This was not included for the F-22 shots which were near the terminal building.

As RWY 6 shot shows, there is an artifact but it looks like a fog bank. It disappeared as the approach neared completion. The RWY 24 sequence ends just before the artifact is reached. After it is reached, the view becomes normal. The tarmac view is looking in the direction of RWY 24.

Whether or not you see the artifact - as in the tarmac views - depends critically on the angle you are looking toward. A few degrees one way or the other is the difference between seeing it or having it disappear.

Stephen Bickford

C182 VC On Appoach RWY 6.jpg

C182 VC On Approach RWY 24 (1).jpg

C182 VC On Approach RWY 24 (2).jpg

C182 VC On Approach RWY 24 (3).jpg

C182 VC On Approach RWY 24 (4).jpg

F-22 Outside Spot View Tarmac.jpg

F-22 VC Tarmac (1).jpg

F-22 VC Tarmac (2).jpg

This is one of the weirdest issues I've ever seen, Stephen, and offhand I have no clue what's going on. I can tell you it's the first time I've ever seen this or any issue quite like it, especially in conjunction with KACK. My first suggestion is that you uninstall the Orbx version of KACK, then test to make sure the problem is gone when using the default version, and provided it is, reinstall KACK and see if it persists.

Hi Bill,

I followed your suggestion about uninstalling the Orbx version of KACK and looking at the default version to make sure that the problem was gone. It wasn't!

These screenshots were taken from the Parking 8 - Ramp GA Large position in the default scenery. There are 3 views in various directions from the VC of the house F-22, one from the VC of the house Commander 114, and two Outside View Spots of the house Commander 114.

Unless you or Nick have some other suggestions, I will be contacting  P3D support using these screenshots to present the case.

Thanks,

Stephen Bickford

Screenshot (118).jpg

Screenshot (119).jpg

Screenshot (120).jpg

Screenshot (121).jpg

Screenshot (122).jpg

Screenshot (123).jpg

Hi John,

This problem appeared after I updated via the Client from V4.3 to V4.4 and updated the content and scenery from the original v4.0 to v4.4.  Are the content and scenery updates cumulative or incremental? In other words, to update scenery and content correctly, would I have had to go 4.0 to 4.1 to 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4 (which is what I did with the Client upgrades) or does a 4.0 to 4.4 get you to the same state in the sim?

Your suggestion is to uninstall the content (and perhaps scenery updates?)  I just did when I made the 4.3 to 4.4 Client update, see if the problem goes away, and then reinstall them?

Should I disable or uninstall Open_LC first to see if that might be involved?

Thanks,

Stephen Bickford

On 3/8/2019 at 7:25 PM, Orbx12 said:

After I updated from P3Dv4.3 to P3Dv4.4 (Client+Scenery+Content)

Did also reinstall FTX Orbx Global Base, TreesHD and the Orbx Libs after updating P3D? And maybe run the "Force Migration" option in FTXC3 settings

In the supposedly stock scenery in the screenshots above, there are still KACK custom buildings showing. Do you perhaps still have the original iBlueYonder version of KACK installed as well as the later Orbx version? If so, the first step would be to uninstall all versions of KACK before proceeding. 

Bill,

When I tried to uninstall the iBlueYonder version of KACK in Programs and Features section of Control Panel, It said that the program/uninstaller could not be found so what you are saying is not a surprise. I don't recall trying to uninstall the iBY version when I ported over to Orbx. 

I unchecked the iBY entry in the P3D scenery control and also used CCCleaner to remove the registry item from the installed programs list in Programs and Features.

I am beyond my depth. What other entries would I look for in the P3D root, add-ons, etc. folders?

Thanks.

Stephen Bickford

Stephen,

You'll need to check several things. First of all, with P3D running, check the scenery library and make sure there's not an entry for KACK in it (I'm assuming your Orbx version is already uninstalled). Remove any entry you find there for Nantucket. Then after quitting P3D, check in C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\xml for a file called "iBlueYonder_Nantucket.xml". If it's there, delete it as well. Once you've done those things, check in P3D and see if any of the custom objects remain. You should now have only the default files at KACK. I'll be curious if the great wall is still there after all this.

Bill

Bill,

I deleted the "iBlueYonder_Nantucket.xml" file in the directory you indicated and that did not fix the problem. However I searched the c:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\SimObjects directory which had a folder called iBlueYonder_Nantucket that had scenery-ish stuff in it. When I deleted this folder, the great wall was no more although I believe I found it among the normal base KACK scenery.

The first screenshot shows the building that I believe got morphed into the great wall.

The second screenshot shows the other files that are left in the c:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE directory. Although they don't seem to have caused me a problem, shouldn't the corresponding \XML and \SimObjects folders for Plum Island, Minuteman, 6B6, and 2B2 also be removed since they are now in Orbx also?

Thanks for your help in solving this weird issue.

Stephen Bickford

2098708207_Screenshot(131).thumb.png.38f3c94d63fe54c6b882d13d7f573f74.png

Screenshot (132).png

Archived