Zoom Problem

They both look wrong to me - your dials are squashed even in the 'normal' shot. If your aspect ratio is set incorrectly I would think the zoom out is merely emphasising it. It will help to check that your full-screen resolution matches the aspect ratio of your monitor.

10 hours ago, shane280172 said:

Hi Mark, Im a bit of a noviceat this. I have checked on my pc and this is what I have

Your screen resolution: 2560x1080 pixels

This is a widescreen resolution. The aspect ratio is 2.37:1.

Where are you reading this information from? Do you know the make and model number of your monitor? From your screen shots it looks like you are setting your monitor to a resolution that does not match its native aspect ratio, so it is important to rule this out.

Do you still see this distortion while running in Windowed mode? (Press ALT+ENTER to switch to windowed mode). If so, you also have Windows set to an inappropriate resolution and your Windows desktop will be distorted (e.g. circular icons will be squashed).

The WideViewAspectRatio setting will not help this problem.

Hi guys

My monitor is an AOC Q2963P.

Dadtom my system doesnt give me an 2560x1440 option? only 2560x1080?

I didn't have this problem with other versions of P3d. 

Mark, I still get this problem in Window mode and whether I have Wide View aspect on or off.

This is doing my head in. Can anybody suggest anything else?

Hi. Just put your monitor number in and it’s an ultra wide screen model at 29” and your right it’s only 2560 x 1080 res. and think maybe that’s the problem. Did you buy it on Scan because that monitor had end of life at the top of the product page. Sorry I can not help anymore but maybe some one else can help. Have you just bought it as they might let you change it. Also just noticed do you use it for virtual reality as that was at the top on your Fltsim page. So perhaps it’s something to do with that. Derek.

8 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Have you just bought it as they might let you change it

If it works correctly for Windows it seems very unlikely that there's anything wrong with the monitor. So P3D is behaving irrationally. The only suggestion I have now is to find all the sections in your p3d.cfg file that look like this:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670.0]

and delete them. There may be more than one such section. When you restart P3D it will recreate these sections correctly.

42 minutes ago, shane280172 said:

Hi Mark, because I run with a 1080ti would in read GeForce GTX 1080ti?

Yes :)  Don’t forget there may be more than one entry. There may also be old ones if you upgraded from a different card or ran more than one card.

Are you still suffering from this problem?

Do you use a camera/view program such as chaseplane, ezdoc or opusfsi?

Looking at your screenshots I guess the problem is affecting ALL aircraft or is it just some?

Good thinking MarkH.

Unless it’s a weird driver issue I can’t believe the problem lies outside Prepar3D.

It must be a P3D camera/view configuration issue (as evidenced by the fact the red status text and the menu bar are not distorted in your screenshot).

There are only a few files associated with these settings:

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Cameras.cfg

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\CustomCameras.xml

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ViewGroups.xml

Shane: you've tried backing up and deleteing cameras.cfg, then running P3D to regenerate a fresh version... which didn't work. But could you now try the same with the other two xml files mentioned above? ViewGroups.xml is probably the likely culprit.

Also, each aircraft can have its own cameras defined in the AIRCRAFT.CFG (or SIM.CFG) file for the aircraft... but as you don't use chaseplane etc I'm sure you haven't manually modified each of the aircraft you fly.

I guess it could also be a post-process shader modification but that seems unlikely?

I suppose you could delete all of your configuration files.

The file you need is in the P3D root folder and is named

Delete Generated Files.

Right click and run as an administrator.

Be aware though that it will reset all your configurations to default when you next start P3D.

Thanks for all the guidance Nick,Paj,Mark, Dadtom

I have been playing around with the camera view and Im not sure if ive fixed it or not but I do not have the squashed in look anymore. 

For a non-tech head like myself this is why this is my favorite forum. I dont think I have ever exited out of this forum without a solution to my problems with flight sims. And Ive have quite a few over the years.

Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old post but I've just been able to reproduce Shane's symptoms.

In the prepar3d.cfg file is a setting:

[GRAPHICS]

ViewGroup_Number=-1

But if ViewGroup_Number=1 (instead of minus one) on a single monitor setup the horizontal fov will increase as zoom is decreased causing the view to appear to "squeeze in"

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember where I finally got the answer but it was a video by an English bloke on focal lengths

and how they effect various problems with differing screen sizes

This was his answer - especially if you are using the wide screen choice

It is simply a matter of  the formula - screen height - divided by screen width= focal length (zoom)

ie - in your case - 1080 - divide by - 2560 - = 0.42 zoom in the top right hand corner

and you cockpit panel and outside view - will be right where your EYEs would see it from the seat

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, paj said:

Sorry to dig up an old post but I've just been able to reproduce Shane's symptoms.

In the prepar3d.cfg file is a setting:

[GRAPHICS]

ViewGroup_Number=-1

But if ViewGroup_Number=1 (instead of minus one) on a single monitor setup the horizontal fov will increase as zoom is decreased causing the view to appear to "squeeze in"

Oh, my gosh, @paj you saved my life! I had the exact same problem but with your solution now it's all ok! Oh dear!

Archived