OpenLC SA - La Paz, Bolivia - completely washed out textures

Rod999

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding OpenLC South America. Taking off from SLLP and looking down on La Paz , Bolivia, the textures look poor and completely washed out throughout the whole area, as if the city was nuked the day before. It doesn't matter either what season I choose. Cities nearby don't have this terrible look. They look better.  Is it a glitch with La Paz? Can anybody of you confirm? Do I have to lower my expectations regarding OpenLC South America? I hope not. Thanks.

Rod

lapaz.jpg

Hi Rod, welcome to the forums

The OpenLC SA product does not alter city building textures.

"Landclass Data

This data instructs the simulator to display specific types of terrain in given areas. Examples would be High Density Urban, Arid Scrubland, Pine Forest, Irrigated Crops... The list goes on and on and is designed to encompass a wide variety of land use across the globe. There are actually two types of Landclass data that can be provided. Standard Landclass, or Vector Landclass. For Standard landclass, the entire Simulator world is split into 1km x 1km tiles and each tile is given a terrain type. You can quickly build a large scale picture of the world using this method by assigning the appropriate land use to each tile in the grid. The second method is far more data intensive and time consuming to produce (usually being hand crafted). This is Vector Landclass. This system allows developers to create specifically shaped areas of specific land use. For example, a beach or a complex city outline. Like terrain mesh however, this is just data and is not visible within the sim."

Thanks, Doug. Sorry, I can't follow your technical explanation entirely. I just notice that any other city in that area has a much more colored, normal look  (red roofs etc. etc. ), whereas La Paz is just dull with the same washed out color all over.  It just looks ugly and even FSX default looks much better. I own all ORBX Global products and I am very satisfied with the quality in general, but this city - and we are not talking about any minor city but Bolivia's biggest city with nearly 1 mio. inhabitants - is badly rendered. I mean, whatever the technical aspect is, fact is, I buy this product and I expect better than that. Maybe in an update you can address this concern.

Hi Doug. It seems we are not talking about the same thing. Of course, OpenLC doesn't alter textures. That's not my point. It alters the LC, and the result with Global Base and Vector combined is this what we see here, a desert town.  FSX Default with default textures and even FTX Global Base without LC looks looks way better (see attached).  Now, we all know that La Paz is not that green, but it's still a city that is alive and not a replica from Fallout3. The FTX Global product looks bad in La Paz, worse than FSX Default out of the box, and no technical explanation can make it look better. What is actually your point?

lp.jpg

Hi John. I agree, ORBX looks as washed out as the images from Google Earth. That's what I initially said, the ORBX scenery looks like (bad) photoscenery patched together with some grey buildings. Maybe closer to reality than FSX default, but still bad. Also, your GE image is pretty far away. You don't even see the details anymore. Even in Google Earth, looking at La Paz from the same distance as in the other shots I posted there is at least a little bit colour, some red roofs etc, in it. Don't you agree? I also post a real image from La Paz. -- Anyway, I wanted to bring this matter to your attention. Maybe you will look into it or not. For me, after installing OpenLC SA and starting in La Paz, I first thought the installation went wrong. As I said, in general I am happy with your products, it's just this particular city so far that really bothers me. Thank you for your assistance and patience, anyway.

lapaz.jpg

screen-shot-2017-12-09-at-8-19-24-am.png

On 1/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, John Dow said:

Perhaps you need this, it's on special until the end of the month.  As far as Orbx scenery goes, I think the scenery that is part of OLC  S America is reasonable considering the product.

https://secure.simmarket.com/latinvfr-la-paz_bolvia-el-alto-sllp.phtml

I have that Product but the city terrain doesn't look nice. All the airport area looks very well but the city in the valley doesn't look nice, though it has buildings.

I installed it in P3D and disabled all the photo bgls. it doesn't look that bad in the end, but the city still is poor.

We do need a more extense range of Orbx products for South & Central America, there are so many great places to replicate..

Archived