True Earth North?

martinlest

I am wondering if ORBX plan to extend the True Earth UK for X-Plane 11 to the rest of the UK (or GB at least)? I use Ortho4XP at the moment for the whole country, but with various terrain colour mismatching issues (which I assume do not exisit in ORBX), might well go over to ORBX if the whole of the UK were covered. Having only part of the country is, for me, not really so attractive a proposition.. to keep crossing a line where the ORBX scenery 'runs out'...

I didn't get much when I Googled True Earth North ORBX, so thought I would ask here. (I am sure Scotland would look absolutely wonderful)!

Thanks,

Martin

That's good news. Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for this and then check my 'resources' (£££)!

Actually, my Ortho4XP scenery looks pretty good, but you have to put up with odd-looking colour mismatches. This ORBX scenery, when complete (will Northern Ireland ever be done too, BTW?) will be a very definite upgrade!

I wonder if ORBX would be giving a discount to folks buying all the UK TE series? It's quite an outlay for the lot (though properly priced, I am sure: I am not saying otherwise). Or are there sales occasionally? Supposed to be buying a house - which leaves me with little extra £££ to spare! But this is very tempting of course. :)

On 1/5/2019 at 12:50 PM, martinlest said:

I am wondering if ORBX plan to extend the True Earth UK for X-Plane 11 to the rest of the UK (or GB at least)? I use Ortho4XP at the moment for the whole country, but with various terrain colour mismatching issues (which I assume do not exisit in ORBX), might well go over to ORBX if the whole of the UK were covered. Having only part of the country is, for me, not really so attractive a proposition.. to keep crossing a line where the ORBX scenery 'runs out'...

I didn't get much when I Googled True Earth North ORBX, so thought I would ask here. (I am sure Scotland would look absolutely wonderful)!

The plan is to cover all of the UK and Ireland.

As per this post by John Venema:
"Due to the XP11 architectural limitation of 1-degree titles [sic], TE GB North will cover parts of Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man."

Wow, the news just gets better and better. I'll probably wait until the whole lot is available and then make a 'mega purchase'! Maybe there'll be a bundle available. Thanks for the information (which I seem too incompetent to be able to find in my searches!!).

Has John (who it appears, lives somewhere near to me) given any kind of time frame for the upcoming parts anywhere? I won't ask otherwise, 'cos I know developers hate to be 'hassled'! ^_^

John published a plan for the year ahead, but no dates, as things will slip the clue to watch out for imminent release is when Iain, posts his final pictures of a product, that normally means it will soon be released to the rest of us

• 2 months later...

Still thinking about this - but to be honest, I have covered the whole of the Uk with Ortho4XP terrain already, zl17,18 & 19, and most of it looks great. I wonder if ORBX would ever sell the autogen/buildings part of their scenery as a separate package? There would surely be a market for that amongst the many people who have Ortho4XP already set up?

Is that the case? That would be very nice to have, but  I only saw mention of the fact that GB North covers part of N. Ireland, coincidentally, as it were...

Will probably end up buying all the packages in one go fairly soon (I just need to drink the right amount of wine one evening, to 'oil' the opening of the wallet!). Pity about all the Ortho4XP I have, but there are some poor areas, especially in Scotland - I am assuming that there are no real colour mismatches in the ORBX scenery at all (that's probably a 'given'!).

My only other worry is that people are reporting that, although the products are advertised as zl17 equivalent, the resolutions have been 'toned down' and appear closer to zl16. I did notice some less than sharp images in YouTube videos, as a/c approach the ground. Any comment on that? Be good if a real 'HD' version were available too, if so, for those who would be OK with the extra disc space needed.

Thanks! :)

Hi Martin

Might I suggest that before googling for information on Orbx products, you 'Search' in The Orbx forum in this website as everything that you have asked in your mailings above has already been answered in the said website.

Kind regards

Ian S

although the products are advertised as zl17 equivalent, the resolutions have been 'toned down' and appear closer to zl16

Hi Ian... Point taken, but I did not find any 'official' answer to the above point, for instance...

No matter: ORBX came up with their 'trump card' today - a sale with very substantial discounts! So I bought (and am currently installing) all three packages. I am sure that overall I shall be very well pleased.

(I did find, after more searching here, that Northern Ireland and Eire will be issued (which is great!). Still looking for any posts in the last few months which might indicate an approximate release date...).

EDIT: OK, I found some comment on the zl compression too. Just a question of persistence when searching :)

Archived