SCQP La Araucania Airport missing

Daz Kealy

Greetings.

I've just flown down from Chillan and on approach the city of Temuco I couldn't find the airport.
Then loading the plane at the airport to see if it's there, I'm parked up in someone's back yard.
Can someone check if you have the airport in Open LC South America please because I do not!
Gracias.

I've had a look for you, SCQP doesn't even feature as an airport in my Airport menu? 

I did a search under Temuco and I did get the option of using SCTC, however these appear to be two separate airports, not an amended ICAO code for the same airport.

As an aside, I found that the runway at SCTC - Temuco Maquehue appears to straddle a river and has waves washing over the edge of the runway, with another river running over the top of a nearby hill. Something strange going on there.

Hello Daz, wikipedia states,

La Araucanía International Airport also known as Temuco Airport (IATA: ZCO, ICAO: SCQP) is the main airport in the Araucanía Region and southern Chile. It is 21 kilometres (13 mi) south of the city of Temuco, in the commune of Freire, Cautín Province.

It has a parking apron with capacity for 4 aircraft (up to Boeing 767 type), a 5,000 square metres (54,000 sq ft) passenger terminal, and 3 boarding bridges.

The Araucania VOR-DME (Ident: NIA) is located 0.58 nautical miles (1.1 km) off the approach threshold of Runway 19

Whether or not it is in the scenery is another matter.

Thank you for the replies.

I have it in my menu, so it's odd. It is classed as an international airport so I'm surprised it doesn't appear to be in the scenery.
I'm 8,000 miles into a tour of South America and it is the first major problem I have hit so it was a surprise and frustrating.

In response to Ian St's response, do you have an idea why the airport is not in your airport menu but it is in mine? When I was at Chillan airport, I was able to load it into my GTN750 flight plan and then, as I said in my original query, I was able to load my plane at the airport from the P3D airport menu but am in a poor Chilean's back yard!

Hello,

indeed this airport is not in the default FSX or P3D.

The most common reason for such airports to appear is one of the navigation data addons.

Do you have one, I believe that there is something called aero.sors or perhaps fsaerodata?

It may be that your database is updated to show SCQP but no one has placed an airport there.

Thanks Nick. Yes I sense that is the reason. I have FSaerodata and I did not know it adds airports into the P3D library.
Sometimes I envy people who keep their flightsim environment simple and stripped back and avoid these issues!
Best wishes all.

Archived