Memory clothing

Hi all. Today is Thanksgiving Day in the United States. On this day, we Americans give thanks for the nation and its bounty. We gather for a meal. stuff ourselves silly, watch sports on TV, and try to ignore the weird uncle who always has loud opinions on every subject. As for me, one of the things I like to do is take some time and make a list of the things I'm most deeply thankful for. This year, I was surprised to see an old, worn-out coat make the list. It was my Dad's sheepskin high-altitude coat from WWII. He gave it to me when I went off to college, and I wore it (despite the fact that I was a size bigger) through many a winter until it basically fell apart. I loved that coat and the father who bequeathed it to me, and  I find myself able to smell and feel it even now that it's gone. My question is -- do you have a piece of clothing that carries deep memories for you?

Sounds great Rodger! Unfortunately the only pieces of clothing I can consider memory clothing are my blue jeans. It’s uncanny how well they remember how much weight I’ve gained, especially around the holidays!

Happiest of Holidays to you and your family and all those in ORBX LAND! A Great bunch of People!

1 hour ago, Aussie123 said:

Ahh John, you stored that suit in a wardrobe didn't you? It's shrunk! That's the problem.

Every time I get a suit out of the wardrobe, it doesn't fit as well.

But it fitted OK before I put it in?

I'm blaming the dark wardrobe.

Yes it is true and it is a fact that if you keep clothes in a wardrobe for long time they will shrink.

Back in my baseball playing days I sometimes wore a blue nylon warm-up jacket. It's been hanging in my closet now for over 60 years. I'll never throw it away. Back in those days I was dating the only woman  I ever truly loved. She wore that jacket more often than I did. Every time I touch it it's like she's still here..........sigh..........Doug

My Grandpa had his Jacket he wore when he flew the spitfires during WW2. He only showed it to us once, it was brown leather and the liner was a map of Europe in case you got shot down. He kept a lot of the stuff from the war but it has now been mostly donated to museums.

One of his Spitfire's was AB910 that he flew it on D-Day, his name is Flying Officer George Lawson, his Spitfire is still flying today. One thing he said about that day was he was grateful to be up there instead of on the beach, he saw everything.

https://www.spitfireab910.com/about

Some of his photos are now with the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum, you can see them here:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/337/Bull-Dogs-on-the-Coast.aspx

18 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

My Grandpa had his Jacket he wore when he flew the spitfires during WW2. He only showed it to us once, it was brown leather and the liner was a map of Europe in case you got shot down. He kept a lot of the stuff from the war but it has now been mostly donated to museums.

One of his Spitfire's was AB910 that he flew it on D-Day, his name is Flying Officer George Lawson, his Spitfire is still flying today. One thing he said about that day was he was grateful to be up there instead of on the beach, he saw everything.

https://www.spitfireab910.com/about

Some of his photos are now with the Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum, you can see them here:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/337/Bull-Dogs-on-the-Coast.aspx

Hey Matthew. Thanks for sharing the links and the memories. Flying Officer George Lawson sound literally like a man for the history books.

Archived