My Orbx Experience To Date - In case you are interested.

flsm (Frank)

I am a RL recreational pilot addict.  I am also addicted to X-Plane (XP) and Macs and forums.x-plane.org and photo-scenery.  Because of the huge, and forever growing, amount of good-quality freeware for XP, I have been somewhat anti-payware.  I cannot make aircraft or scenery, so I rely on others doing that.  I have heard only good things about Orbx.  When Orbx announced TE GB South (the UK being one of my favourite places to visit and to sim) I decided to give Orbx a go.  I started by signing up - that went well.  I decided then to "suck it and see" by downloading the 3 free Orbx airports for XP and Macs - that went well and they are excellent (the only slight negative is that I had to hunt for a post from Ben as to how to get the Mac version).  I then decided to purchase YBRM Broome International - that went well and it is excellent.  Then TE GB South became available and I purchased it - that went well and it is excellent (the only small negatives were that the Mac version was delayed and I again had to hunt for a post from Ben as to how to get the Mac version to work.  BTW, the main advertising on OrbxDirect still says that the Mac version is a week away!)  When Orbx had a recent sale, I purchased Monument Valley - that went well and it is excellent.  I started posting pics and other comments on this Forum - I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and the frequent presence of Orbx staff and the CEO.  I have also made numerous posts about Orbx on forums.x-plane.org, along with many others - I believe Orbx is being very well received by the XP community (and I hope this is being borne out by sales of TE GB South for XP).  I have seen absolutely no evidence of posts about Orbx being deleted from forums.x-plane.org.  I read rumours in the past about friction between XP and Orbx - if there is any truth in that, I hope it is a thing of the past.  I know my relationship with Orbx is going to be great because I am on this Forum so much and when my wife catches me she looks at this Forum on my screen and talks to it and and says "you and I are not going to be friends"!  THE FUTURE - I will be buying lots more Orbx stuff, and I hope Orbx gets up to speed with XP and Macs so that every Orbx product is available for every sim and every computer platform at the same time.  ONE SUGGESTION - there are so many freeware airports available, and becoming available, for XP that Orbx may be best off concentrating on TE products for XP rather than airports, at least initially.  Thanks if you read this far!  Cheers. 

Great post Frank, it’s really encouraging to get feedback like this.

I can tell you that TE GB is selling extremely well and certainly more TE regions are incoming for XP. We also have a service pack coming for GE GB South with a lot of new content, improvements and bug fixes.

Welcome Frank, Im not an XP flyer but it doesn't even matter. I have always had exactly the same experiences within the forums. Most people are only too willing to help you through everything from brain -farts to problems and issues, even though I can imagine the eye rolls that accompany some of my issues lol

SO THANKS EVERYONE

13 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

for XP that Orbx may be best off concentrating on TE products for XP rather than airports, at least initially

Frank, I think many here would agree, Orbx is one of the best, always keeping up to date. The move to XP is greatly appreciated.

I maintain both sims, P3DV4 and XP11.25+. For their own particular reasons each has its pros and cons. For instance I can't get Tongass Fjords and Return to Misty Moorings flying in XP, at least yet.

The TE products for me are a winner, I live for ortho in XP with overlays, this is where the strength is in my view. The great part about XP is that Orbx can convert already existing airports from P3DV4 into XP somewhat easily with the tools available so I suspect we will see both hitting the market ongoing.  I would prefer that larger regional areas get done in TE followed by complimentary airports.

Here is freeware New Zealand ortho and Idaho ortho with appropriate overlays in XP, colour adjusted, stunning for sure.

cheers

Bryan

-2018-nov-5-006.jpg

-2018-sep-26-001.jpg

Hi Frank

I hope I find you well and enjoying your flying.

It’s nice to see you in the forum here, I first saw you at the org. forum in a post where I used a ton of installs from Scottish wings and others and loads of libraries to recreate the Portsmouth area and the Solent and it was all becoming a bit much!

In the end i uninstalled the lot and brought the orbx TE GB and haven’t looked back since, I brought Southampton airport too and did a sunset flight recently it was simply amazing.

I just read there is a Service Pack coming soon which gives us the forts and a hard surface air craft carrier to land on. 

We just need the yatchs, moving sea traffic and animate waves then it’s all there in one package! And I understand from JV that the yatchs are on the way at some point in a SP which is just awesome.

Its lovely to see you Frank, hope you are not getting into too much trouble with the wife :)

9 hours ago, Meabeachboy said:

Hi Frank

I hope I find you well and enjoying your flying.

It’s nice to see you in the forum here, I first saw you at the org. forum in a post where I used a ton of installs from Scottish wings and others and loads of libraries to recreate the Portsmouth area and the Solent and it was all becoming a bit much!

In the end i uninstalled the lot and brought the orbx TE GB and haven’t looked back since, I brought Southampton airport too and did a sunset flight recently it was simply amazing.

I just read there is a Service Pack coming soon which gives us the forts and a hard surface air craft carrier to land on. 

We just need the yatchs, moving sea traffic and animate waves then it’s all there in one package! And I understand from JV that the yatchs are on the way at some point in a SP which is just awesome.

Its lovely to see you Frank, hope you are not getting into too much trouble with the wife :)

Thanks for your nice post.  I have noticed a few other new guys here from forums.x-plane.org - good to see.  I have also been able to remove quite a bit of older stuff because of TE GB South, with a view to reducing my ever-growing scenery list and increase loading time.  I have not yet looked at what I have around Portsmouth but I will later today.  I still find some nice older stuff that looks good on top of TE GB South, but even that might change as Orbx adds more POIs.  Funny you mention the wife - I was sitting here near her posting you and checking out other posts and was so absorbed that I did not hear her sneeze and so did not say “bless you” - she stared at me for 2 minutes before having to throw a book at me to get my attention and blessing!!  Cheers.

Archived