ESSA ground texture issue and no fix works

westbros

Hi there

The issue of the ground textures at ESSA not displaying has been documented before and suggested fixes have been put forward. I have tried all of them to no avail. To summarise, I have a brand new PC (Windows 10) with a clean installation of P3D v4.3. I have version 3.2.5.9 of FTX Central and in addition FTX Vector, Global Base and Open LC Europe. I am also running FreemeshX v2 for what it's worth, but I'm sure that isn't a factor here.

I have already seen all of the following threads on this forum:

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/156690-essa-ground-textures/?tab=comments#comment-1382092

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/156356-resolved-orbx-essa-arlanda-ground-textures-not-showing/

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/156048-orbx-airport-buildings-disappeared/

I downloaded the older version of Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll and followed the instructions:

1. Download the older version of ObjectFlow 2. Click here ---------> Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll

2. Go to "C:\Users\YOUR_NAME\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\"

3. Place the new Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll in v3.2.5.8 or whatever version of FTX Central 3 you have.

(although I didn't actually overwrite the existing file - I renamed it to disable it and just pasted the "old" version in.) Incidentally my P3D also has the file Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64_PRE43.dll - I don't know if that is significant, but there has been no mention of that file in the previous postings.

Nick Cooper mentioned that Object Flow needs to be ticked in both FTX Central settings and in the P3D add-ons menu. Well, it is checked in FTX but there is no listing of Object Flow in the P3D add-ons.

I have also tried uninstalling and re-installing ESSA twice but that made no difference. I am now out of options. Can you please offer any more suggestions?

Many thanks.

Hello,

the older version is not compatible with version 4.3, is is compatible with version 4.2 and earlier.

I would recommend that you opt in to the Fastlane and update FTX Central to version 3.3.0.6.

This will reactivate the objectflow module for your version of P3D and you should then see the

ground textures display correctly.

Hi Nick

Thanks for the swift response. So I have opted in to Fastlane and my FTX Central is now at version 3.3.0.6. But this makes no difference whatsoever. I have uninstalled the scenery and re-installed it - still no difference. I have checked the time/date stamp on the .dll file in both parallel folders (3.2.5.9 and 3.3.0.6) and they are identical - 26/06/2018 19:30:32.

In FTX Central I have "Use ObjectFlow 2 in Prepar3d v4" checked. There is still no listing of Object Flow in P3D add-ons.

Any further suggestions?

Kind regards

If there is no listing of objectflow in P3D, it cannot work.

Are the Orbx libraries installed?

Do you have C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2\add-on.xml?

FTX Central creates that but it has to be given time to do so.

Make sure that it is running for P3D v4 and that you see "Activating Orbx scenery" appear and dsiappear.

Hi again

Yes, Orbx Libraries are installed and up to date.

I have a file called add-on.xml in that folder, if that is the one you meant?

Yes, FTX Central flashes up "Activating Orbx scenery" if you look carefully (my system is fast) and it disappears again.

So why would P3D not list Object Flow under add-ons? And how can I get it to do so?

Regards

Hello,

P3D is supposed to look in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

and read all the add-on.xml files that it finds there.

Then they are listed in the add-ons menu.

It seems that FTX Central has done what it should have.

Do you have any add-ons in the add-ons menu?

Hi.

In the add-ons menu I have SODE, 8 entries for sceneries by UK2000, and Sim-wings Canary Islands Professional La Palma. However I do have the following other sceneries, none of which appear in the add-on menu:

Aerosoft Mega Airport Oslo 2.0

Flytampa Copenhagen

Flytampa Amsterdam

Taxi2gate Paris CDG

MK-Studios Tenerife Vol 1

Sim Giants Gran Canaria

I am trying to install as many sceneries as possible on my D:\ drive to save space on my C:\ drive. Prepar3d is installed on my C:\ drive. The UK2000 airports, Paris CDG and La Palma are all on the D:\ drive, but the rest are on the C:\ drive due to automatic installation procedures. All of my Orbx airports are on C:\ (ESSA, EGKA, EGHR, EU free airport pack), and non of these appear in the add-on menu either. 

Regards

Thanks.

I have no idea why your copy of P3D cannot see the objectflow add-on.xml file.

Can you open it and check that it contains this text please?

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>Orbx ObjectFlow 2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>Allows Orbx scenery to display dynamic content.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Path>C:\Users\your PC user account name here\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.0.6\Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll</Path>
        <DLLStartName>module_init</DLLStartName>
        <DLLStopName>module_deinit</DLLStopName>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Thanks.

I wonder if you can try moving all the other folders temporarily out of the 

C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder, leaving only the 

Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder.

Start P3D and from the scenario screen, see if it then appears in the add-ons menu?

1 hour ago, westbros said:

If I look in C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons the only entries are the UK2000 sceneries and Orbx ObjectFlow 2.

Hello westbros

Just a thought...........

Do you have Onedrive activated on your PC ?   Maybe Prepar3D is only launching the Add-on.xml files from the location below

C: ► Users ► You ► OneDrive ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 Add-ons 

If there is a "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder in this location Click and Drag the Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder into this Onedrive location above and test 

13 minutes ago, Elaine Dixon said:

Hello westbros

Just a thought...........

Do you have Onedrive activated on your PC ?   Maybe Prepar3D is only launching the Add-on.xml files from the location below

C: ► Users ► You ► OneDrive ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 Add-ons 

If there is a "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder in this location Click and Drag the Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder into this Onedrive location above and test 

Hi Elaine.

This is a brand new PC and I haven't activated OneDrive. The OneDrive folder is empty. 

One thought. I created a folder "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" on my D:\ drive for the add-ons that I can install there, not knowing that P3D would create a folder with the same name on C:\. Could this be causing a confusion?

Can you take a look at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

and post the text that is in that please?

There is also one at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg, can you see what, if anything is in there

and post that text too?

The file at C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg  is empty. 

The file at C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg has the following text:

[Package.0]
PATH=D:\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Aerosoft\Sim-wings Canary Islands Professional\La Palma
TITLE=Sim-wings Canary Islands Professional-La Palma
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false
[Package.1]
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\12bPilot\SODE\P3Dv4
TITLE=SODE
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Hello,

I am wondering then where are the add-ons.cfg entries for your eight UK 2000 airports?

You did move the folders back into C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons?

P3D v4 is designed to read, for example, C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2\add-on.xml

when it starts and create C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg, using

the information that it finds there.

We appear to have confirmed that the add-on.xml file is in the correct place and that it contains the correct text and yet

your copy of P3D apparently does not see it.

Perhaps a search of your PC for add-ons.cfg might reveal more versions.

Perhaps as an experiment, you might create an add-ons.cfg file manually.

Based on the contents of the one add-ons.cfg file that does have entries, the text should be:

[Package.2]
PATH=C:\Users\
your PC user account name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\Orbx ObjectFlow 2
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

Obviously you will need to edit the red text and add your user account name instead.

SODE appears to use this method.

Place it in C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\ and let it overwrite the empty one.

Start P3D and see if there is an objectflow entry in the add-ons menu.

If not, perhaps try reinstalling just the P3D v4.3 client.

Hi Nick.

I will try this probably tomorrow as I am out all day and away from my PC. Yes, I did move the UK2000 folders back into C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.

When you talk about reinstalling the P3D v4 client, does this mean reinstalling the whole of P3D again? I presume I would need to uninstall first? Or is the client just part of  P3D, and if so, how do I reinstall just the client? Will I need to reinstall all of my add-ons too? P3D is completely new to me (having just switched from FSX).

Thanks.

If you need to, reinstalling just the client is very quick and easy.

1. Go to your Windows Control Panel/Programs and Features and uninstall Prepar3D v4  (Academic or Professional or Developer) client.

Note: When asked if you want to unregister it, select No.

2. Browse to where you backed up Install_Client.msi, right click on it and select Install.

Note: If you didn't back it up, you can download it separately from your P3D

account, it's about 274 MB.

that's it, no settings or installations will be affected at all.

Good morning Nick.

First of all, there are 3 listings for add-ons.cfg on my system:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\add-ons.cfg

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items - this entry is a shortcut

I have created an add-ons.cfg file manually as per your instructions, and P3D now sees this. But there is no title given - should there be a line TITLE= ??

However when I run P3D and go to ESSA there is no change whatsoever. So I will try to reinstall the client and see what happens.

Incidentally, why do only some of my add-ons appear in the add-ons menu? So for example neither of my Flytampa sceneries appear, nor does my Aerosoft Oslo, nor my MK-Studios Tenerife. I am not expecting you to speak for other developers, but should these also be listed too? Or does it depend on whether the add-on scenery has an addon.xml file? 

Hello,

there seem to be a number of ways to install products.

I confess that I don't know exactly what P3D does but it

seems that your copy is not doing the same as mine.

As far as I can tell, P3D is taking the Title of the Objectflow

add-on entry from the add-on.xml file which only seems to

confirm that your P3D is still not seeing it.

I think that creating the add-ons.cfg has not solved the problem,

rather it has only added that line to the add-ons menu.

I would have expected the UK 2000 airports and any others with

folders in the documents folder to appear in the add-ons

menu, it may be symptomatic of the underlying problem.

So I have now reinstalled the client, and this makes no difference. 

I am starting to become rather disheartened now because ESSA is one of the main airports that I use. I never had a problem with this scenery on FSX. This is a brand new PC that I have owned for just 2 weeks, I have installed everything in accordance with the respective developer's instructions, and of course FTX Central installs everything for you with no input from the user. Something is completely screwed up with how FTX Central is installing this airport. There are no apparent issues with any of my other Orbx airports (EGKA, EGHR, LFRG). 

Hello,

no, for some reason your installation does not seem to recognise folders in

C:\Users\your name\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons, as apparently evidenced

by the lack of add-on menu items in the in game menu.

I am reasonably certain that the problem is not limited to objectflow and quite sure that if you were to

look more closely at your other airports, you would see other objectflow features missing.

I wonder if you could attach a screen shot of the contents of your Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

folder, ideally also showing the full path to it please.

4 minutes ago, westbros said:

So I have now reinstalled the client, and this makes no difference. 

I am starting to become rather disheartened now because ESSA is one of the main airports that I use. I never had a problem with this scenery on FSX. This is a brand new PC that I have owned for just 2 weeks, I have installed everything in accordance with the respective developer's instructions, and of course FTX Central installs everything for you with no input from the user. Something is completely screwed up with how FTX Central is installing this airport. There are no apparent issues with any of my other Orbx airports (EGKA, EGHR, LFRG). 

My suggestion, after having many problems with the Objectflow 2 module as well, is to keep P3DV4 as simple as possible, and that means getting a dedicated SSD for P3DV4 and ensuring the program and all sceneries are installed there, except sceneries that you know work just as well from outside the P3D drive.  (For instance I have all my OZx and other miscellaneous sceneries in an Add-on Scenery folder on another drive that is linked by both FSX and P3D.)

Anyway, I ended up completely uninstalling P3DV4, formatting the SSD, reinstalling the program on the dedicated P3D SSD, and then ObjectFlow2 worked like a charm and I haven't looked back.

(I did create a backup of P3D on an external drive, including all the relevant folders from my user account local and roaming, and the relevant folders in C:\Program Data, which I then used to bring back the scenery.cfg, controls.xml and all the other files that I wanted to keep.  Once they were in place, copying the ORBX folder back into P3D, then merging the Effects, gauges, Modules, Scenery\World\Scenery, Simobjects, Sound and Texture folders meant that within three hours I had just about all the program restored to how it was before).

Here is the contents of C:\Users\Gary & Adrian\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons. 

I am very loathe to perform a complete reinstallation including formatting my disk so soon after the purchase. My PC is a dedicated flight sim machine with a 500 MB SSD as my main C:\ drive and a 1 TB HDD as my D:\ drive. When I was looking into a new PC many people suggested having 2 drives - an SSD for Windows and the main P3D installation, and a secondary HDD for all of my add-ons including sceneries, weather programs etc. All of my Orbx stuff is on my C:\ drive, because FTX Central doesn't allow anything else. The only add-ons on my D:\ drive are the UK2000 sceneries, Aerosoft La Palma, Taxi2gate CDG, then FreemeshX, ASP4 and REX Sky Force. The rest (Flytampa, Aerosoft Oslo, MK Studios Tenerife) is all on C:\. 

Prepar3D v4 Add-ons.jpg

Hello westbros

Please try this step.   Delete these 2 add-on.cfg files.  These will generated again when Prepar3D is launched,  It will also refresh these files.  

When you launch Prepar3D it will (Should) prompt you to "Enable" these Add On's 

Note:  Even if these files are empty,  Delete them anyway 

Navigate to the location's below and Delete the 2 blue files. 

------

Local Disk (C:) ► ProgramData ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 ► add-ons.cfg 

Local Disk (C:) ► Users ► You ► AppData ► Roaming ► Lockheed Martin ► Prepar3D v4 ► add-ons.cfg

------

Now Launch Prepar3D,  Do you now see the Option to "Enable"  Orbx Object Flow ? 

------------------------------------------------

If this is not successful............ 

Delete the Orbx ObjectFlow folder in the Documents location 

Then launch the FTX Central Control panel, Navigate to Options and Ensure you Tick the box for  "Use ObjectFlow" Click Save and close FTX Central 

This folder will (Should) generate again.

If the ObjectFlow folder does not generate in Documents,  Launch FTX Central again wait 10 \ 15 seconds and close it. 

Now Launch Prepar3D again,  Do you now see the Option to "Enable"  Orbx Object Flow ?

Hi Elaine.

I deleted the 2 add-ons.cfg files. I then started P3D, but the only prompts I got was for the 8 UK2000 entries. No prompt to enable Orbx ObjectFlow. The only add-ons listed in the menu now are the UK2000 ones. Sim-wings La Palma and SODE have disappeared, as too has the titleless entry for ObjectFlow that was created when Nick asked me to create an add-ons.cfg file manually. 

I deleted the ObjectFlow folder, launched FTX Central, saw that Use Orbx ObjectFlow was already checked, so I unchecked it, checked it again, and then saved. The ObjectFlow folder has reappeared in Documents. I launched P3D, but still no prompt to enable ObjectFlow. 

30 minutes ago, westbros said:

. All of my Orbx stuff is on my C:\ drive, because FTX Central doesn't allow anything else.

My P3D is installed on a 1TB SSD 'P" Drive, which is the location I specified when I installed P3D.  Many simmers find that the default location in C Drive program files leads to problems further down the track, whereas a dedicated drive is much more flexible.

P3Dfolder.jpg.58b8484eb4eb453beb4b532f62878597.jpg

I know from the past that we should not install FSX or P3D at the default location under Program Files, so mine is installed at C:\Prepar3D v4. 

To make sure that you understand what I am seeing, here are some more screenshots:

Add-ons menu.jpg

Rwy 26.jpg

Rwy 26 overhead.jpg

Rwy 19L overhead.jpg

Gate B12 overhead.jpg

That's exactly what I was seeing at ESSA when Objectflow wasn't working.

There's another thing that Windows likes to do, and that's make permissions and sharing too restrictive.

Under the folder properties for your user account and the P3D location, you should be able to set permissions under Properties for Sharing and Security to maximum control and sharing for all users, using the advanced tabs.  Whether this makes a difference I don't know but I can imagine access might be blocked to P3D if full sharing and control isn't granted?

Hello,

thanks.

I am assuming that your image of the add-ons menu was taken after FTX Central had added the

Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder back in to the documents folder and after you had run P3D at least once?

I am struggling to understand why P3D is recognising the UK 2000 folders and not the Orbx ObjectFlow 2 folder.

Perhaps Elaine may have an idea why it might not?

No need to replicate the images of ESSA, it will not look right until objectflow is working. 

Hi,

Just figured I should add a comment to this as well, as being the developer of ESSA.

As I'm in my cabin right now with little - > no internet access I can't really be of any help at the moment. 

Quickly going through the thread it seems like it has already been established that ObjectFlow is not working as intended.

For ESSA in P3D v3/v4 the main ground textures are placed with ObjectFlow, so is also windsocks & grass. Which seems to be the objects missing.

Earlier we placed the buildings with ObjectFlow as well, but that has been changed so they are no longer placed with that method, so reading old threads it might seem like ObjectFlow is working if buildings are showing up.

Hope it get solved and sorry I can't be of more assistance at the moment,

Regards,

Marcus

Yes Nick, the image of the add-ons menu was taken AFTER I had followed Elaine's instructions. That is what I can see NOW.

Marcus, thanks for your comment. I can confirm that I can see buildings, but no ground textures. Hope your cabin is nowhere near the forest fires and you stay safe. Lykke til.

Hopefully you will not need to reinstall P3D but it might be worth

noting that it can be installed anywhere on the PC.

If you wanted it on your D drive, it would have been possible to create

D:\Prepar3D v4 and tell the installer to place it there.

FTX Central does not "insist" on installing to the C drive, but it does insist on

installing into the P3D root folder.

It takes the location of that from the Windows registry and the registry entry is

written there by the P3D installer, upon first installation.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

could it be that you have two installations of P3D, one on the C drive and another on your P drive

or are they somehow linked?

Hello westbros

Please first have a look at Nicks post above.   

------------------------

Have you tried running Prepar3D as administrator ?  

Have you tried running the FTX Central control panel as administrator

Are you logged onto your PC as the administrator ?  

--------

Ok, This is a long shot   :) 

Type file explorer options into your windows search bar,  Click View,   Ensure you Un-Tick the Box for Hide Extensions and click Apply    (Just like the Images shows) 

Then click into the ObjectFlow folder in the Documents location  ensure your ObjectFlow add-on.xml file is this add-on.xml,  Maybe it says this add-on.xml.txt ?    

If so just remove the .txt  Save it and launch Prepar3D and test 

35000883950_2eed3aafbf_o.png

Hi Elaine.

I usually start P3D by right clicking and then selecting "run as administrator". Is this what you mean? I could do the same with FTX Central. I have also looked at the properties for both shortcuts, and in the Compatibility tab I can select "Run this program as an administrator". Should I check this box?

How do I know if I'm logged onto my PC as an administrator? Sorry, but as well as being new to P3D I'm also new to Windows 10! 

I already have file extensions visible. The file in the ObjectFlow folder is add-on.xml - no reference to .txt. 

Archived