ESSA ground texture issue and no fix works

westbros

Hello westbros

Can you Copy the contents of your Add-on.xml file and Paste it into your next reply.   

Just left click the mouse and drag it over the complete Tex until it turns blue then right click and Copy this Tex and Paste here 

-------------

Also is Prepar3D Installed to this default location below ?  Or did you Create a New folder on your C drive and Install to this new folder 

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Hi Elaine.

I will check when I get home from work. What do you mean by "drag it over the complete Tex"?

As previously advised, Prepar3D is installed to C:\Prepar3D v4, i.e. in a new folder in the root directory.

Please could you answer my questions from yesterday about administrator rights. Thanks.

I worked out what you meant! The contents are as follows:

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>Orbx ObjectFlow 2</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>Allows Orbx scenery to display dynamic content.</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>DLL</Category>
        <Path>C:\Users\Gary & Adrian\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.0.6\Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll</Path>
        <DLLStartName>module_init</DLLStartName>
        <DLLStopName>module_deinit</DLLStopName>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Earlier on, we did have some customers who had this problem

and it turned out to be their user name, usually if there was an unusual character

in it. I wonder if the spaces and/or the & could be having a similar effect.

One cure was to find the path in Windows Explorer and copy and paste the user

account name, into that .xml file, overwriting Gary & Adrian.

Just a guess really, as we do seem to have ruled everything else out and are now

going round again.

Hi Nick.

This is getting technical. I did a search for how to change the user account name in W10, and I have now changed it to GaryAdrian. I restarted the computer, but when I go to C:\Users in Windows Explorer it still shows "Gary & Adrian" as the account name. I really do not want to mess up my Windows installation.

I don't understand what you mean here:

"One cure was to find the path in Windows Explorer and copy and paste the user

account name, into that .xml file, overwriting Gary & Adrian."

Which path do you mean? How do I edit an .xml file? Sorry, please could you explain exactly what I need to do and how?

Thanks.

BTW, I managed to work out that I am logged on as an administrator. 

The path in the .xml file still refers to "Gary & Adrian". As I've said, I don't want to risk messing up my Windows installation, and so I have now reverted back to the original account name. I changed it through Control Panel, but clearly there is something in the registry which is still forcing the original account name. 

So where do we go from here? 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, westbros said:

One thought. I created a folder "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" on my D:\ drive for the add-ons that I can install there, not knowing that P3D would create a folder with the same name on C:\. Could this be causing a confusion?

Just raising this question again, as you didn't make any comment. 

5 hours ago, westbros said:

I usually start P3D by right clicking and then selecting "run as administrator". Is this what you mean.  I have also looked at the properties for both shortcuts, and in the Compatibility tab I can select "Run this program as an administrator". Should I check this box

Hello westbros

Running Prepar3D as administrator is recommended only but not required.   It is required though to Install Prepar3D as administrator. 

Running Prepar3D is recommended of course from the user community as we all tend to stuff our Sims with loads of different Add Ons that require access to read and write files from Inside the C drive operating system and other drives that have not been set up with the proper Control writes 

But by right clicking on the Prepar3D desktop Icon each time and running as administrator is fine no problem 

You can also set up Prepar3D to run as administrator all the time via Prepar3D Icon > Properties > Compatibility > Change for all Users >  Run as Admin Like This 

Just to add:  In some Instances the Path from the Prepar3D desktop Icon to your Prepar3D Install location can become corrupt and when you launch Prepar3D nothing will happen 

If this is the case you can eliminate this by navigating to your Install location,  right click on the Prepar3D.exe file and run as administrator Like this

I could do the same with FTX Central

I have never needed to run FTX Central as administrator and to my knowledge this is not required,  But in situations like this you must try everything even as small as it is  

How do I know if I'm logged onto my PC as an administrator

By default and if your the only user on your Windows 10 system you should be the administrator already.

You can confirm this by typing exactly this   your info   into the windows search and confirm 

On 7/25/2018 at 7:27 PM, westbros said:

This is getting technical. I did a search for how to change the user account name in W10, and I have now changed it to GaryAdrian. I restarted the computer, but when I go to C:\Users in Windows Explorer it still shows "Gary & Adrian

Hello westbros

As Nick has pointed out Your User name could in fact be the cause of this 

But Changing the actual name for your folder directory is a bit tricky,   This would involve you creating another User account and removing your old account.

The alternative is also a bit messy,  You could add another User account to Windows 10 (Standard account)   Prepar3D would still be in place no problem,  But you would need to download and Install FTX Central again, All your Orbx files would still be located in the same place.

Then you would launch Prepar3D to generated the files first.  Then Install and launch FTX Central Tick the ObjectFlow box and Save it.   Then test Prepar3D again.

If you want to try this route let me know and I would run this through my own machine first and let you know how I get on 

Like i said its a bit messy...............

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok one more thought.........

I understand you have deleted the ObjectFlow folder and let it generate again but lets now refresh the actual Prepar3D v4 Add ons folder  (Worth a try) 

(1) Click and Move (not copy) Click and Move this complete folder out of this location and onto your desktop. We can move this folder back again if not successful 

(2) Now launch Prepar3D to the first screen and Shut it down again.   The Prepar3D v4 Add ons folder will generate again 

(3) Then launch the FTX Central control panel,   Wait about 15 seconds for FTX to Initialize, Then Click Settings and tick the box for Use ObjectFlow 2 and click Save

Confirm you now have an Orbx Objectflow folder in the Documents location,  If not repeat the process above 

Now launch Prepar3D and test to see if you now get the Enable Box for Object Flow ?    

If this is not successful just simple delete the new generated folder in Documents and Move back your original one 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If not,    Can I run you through some more steps ?    Trust me its less painful then changing your explorer directory name.  If this does not work you may have to. 

Remove the Prepar3D generated folders that is generated during the program execution.   These folders and files will generate as default again when Prepar3D is launched next

(1)  Navigate to your core Prepar3D v4 folder,  Scroll down a bit, Double left Click on the file Delete Generated files,

A small black window will appear and then disappear again,  this is normal.

---------

(2)  Next:  Navigate to this location below and Click and Move these 2 blue folders out of this location and pop them on your desktop

Note:  Do Not Copy these folders,  Ensure you Move them out of this location

PC ► Documents ► Prepar3D v4 files \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons

----------

(3)  Now Launch Prepar3D to the first screen then Shut it down again,  These files and folders will generate again  

---------

(4)  Then launch the FTX Central control panel,   Wait about 15 seconds for FTX to Initialize, Then Click Settings and tick the box for Use ObjectFlow 2 and click Save

Confirm you now have an Orbx Objectflow folder in the Documents location,  If not repeat the process above 

Now launch Prepar3D and test to see if you now get the Enable Box for Object Flow ?    

Hi Elaine.

Not good news I'm afraid. I followed your instructions for both tests, and on neither occasion did I get the Enable box for ObjectFlow. 

I have asked before what is supposed to appear in the Add-ons box, but nobody gave an answer. Is it supposed to show every add-on - sceneries, aircraft, weather utilities, etc? Or is this dependent on a specific file being present (add-on.xml??). As I said before, I originally had all of my UK2000 sceneries in this box, plus Sim-wings La Palma and SODE. Why have the latter 2 now disappeared, and how do I get them back?  The only Enable boxes I get when moving the original folders back in the above tests are for UK2000.

If I have to change my user name, I would really prefer if you tested it out first on your machine. Would this mean then that P3D would run on a non-administrator user account, and that I would need to switch to this every time I wish to go flying? 

Thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, westbros said:

I have asked before what is supposed to appear in the Add-ons box, but nobody gave an answer. Is it supposed to show every add-on - sceneries, aircraft, weather utilities, etc?

Hello westbros

It will show the Add On's that are being launched from the Prepar3D v4 Add Ons folder in Documents,  So if you have 6 Add On folder in this location it will show 6 Add On entries in the Add On menue.

---------------

I'm in the process of setting up a new User Account called  Gary & Adrian I will let you know my results either late tonight or tomorrow evening  

Hello,

I have created a new account in the name of my wife and I.

The account name is Nick & Carol.

I can confirm that using this account name, although the files are all correctly created by FTX Central,

P3D cannot see the objectflow entry and there is therefore no objectflow entry in the P3D add-ons menu,

despite, like you, all the files being present.

In other words, this line does not work.

<Path>C:\Users\Nick & Carol\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.0.6\Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll</Path>

but this one does

<Path>C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.0.6\Orbx_ObjectFlow_x64.dll</Path>

It would appear that I have identified the problem finally.

It also explains why none of your other products are having the same problem, they do not use a path that

includes your user account name.

Whether this is a problem created by Windows or P3D not being able to read the path and whether it is the

spaces or the "&" I do not know.

It may be that you will need to create a new user account that has no spaces and no "&" or similar symbols in

its name in order to solve this problem.

Creating another account is very simple and you have no need to disable the existing account to do so.

I would suggest that you create a second account with no spaces and no symbols in the name and test that with

P3D, FTX Central and objectflow. I can pretty much guarantee that it will then work and ESSA and your other

products will look as they should.

Simply changing the account name does not appear to change the way in which the add-on.xml file is created.

It's not the spaces in his user name, unless he has something else corrupted in his user account.  I've been using my first and last name with a space between them for my user account name ever since Windows 10 was installed on my computer a long time ago.  So do many other people, including IT professionals.  Spaces in the user account name work OK.  Get rid of the "special character" &.  Names don't have special characters in them (at least for most people).

A way to analyze it would be to change the user account name to "Gary and Adrian", substituting the "&" with the WORD "and".  That should work fine, just like a user account name that used a first, middle, and last name with spaces between them.  IF IT DOESN'T, then it is a different problem other than his user account name.

But, like I said, this ONLY assumes he doesn't have something ELSE in his installation(s) (OS or ORBX or P3D) corrupted.  And that he changes his current user account name in a way that WILL make the change effective across his entire OS installation AND any other software applications that use his user account name.  The second part...getting his current software apps to start USING his new user account name...may be the real bottleneck he will face.  He may be better off creating a WHOLE NEW user account name such as "Gary and Adrian" with Administrator rights, then deleting his current "Gary & Adrian" user account altogether.  Whether that will "force" all of his other software to use the new user account COULD depend on if the other software app is smart enough to allow that.  If it isn't, he would have to reinstall the software app again while logged in using his NEW user account (or possibly just re-running the software app again...like FTX Central...while logged in using his new user account.  That may solve the problem then...AFTER the old user account has been completely removed from the computer).

Yes...I know...some people are gonna say, "Well, why does some of his OTHER software work fine with "Gary & Adrian" as his user account name?"  Because software developers will never think of all the possible ways OTHER software developers can hose things.  I seriously doubt the Windows OS software developers ever considered someone would try to use something like "Mike & My !@#$%^&*() Friend" as a User Account name.  :D

Thanks.

based on your post, I have created another account "Nick  Carol", two spaces between the names

and P3D/Windows can indeed read the add-on.xml file.

As you say, the problem is the "&" character, thanks for clarifying that.

This topic seems to offer an explanation, I do not pretend to understand, beyond that the "&" is not a

good thing to include in an xml file and as we see here, can break it.

Other similar problems reported have also been the result of a character but so far only when the user account

name has included a character that is particular to that user's language.

The advice is already that changing the user name of the account will not solve this problem.

Creating a new user account without any special characters will do so, based on the above test of creating an account

including the "&" creating the problem.

I have removed the two unconnected posts to keep this topic focused on the problem in hand.

As an addendum to Nick's impressive sleuthing, I am copying part of a link within  the link Nick gives above for future reference.  This is from the body that governs xml syntax and noting that FSX, P3D and some addons rely heavily on xml and may do so in new ways in the future.

The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) MUST NOT appear in their literal form, except when used as markup delimiters, or within a comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are needed elsewhere, they MUST be escaped using either numeric character references or the strings " &amp; " and " &lt; " respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string " &gt; ", and MUST, for compatibility, be escaped using either " &gt; " or a character reference when it appears in the string " ]]> " in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA section.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#syntax

I have now created a new user account under the name Westbros. This is only a basic account. How do I change it to administrator rights? I am having to enter my password for my other user account every time I want to do anything. 

So I went to the Orbx web site, logged in, downloaded and ran FTX Central. I updated it to version 3.3.0.6, and then made sure ObjectFlow 2 is enabled in the settings. The first problem is that the installation hasn't placed an icon on my desktop, and I cannot find where the program is installed in Windows. 

So then I ran P3D. There was no Enable box for ObjectFlow, and it still doesn't appear in the Add-ons box. Consequently the problem at ESSA is still there. 

I decided to try to check the add-on.xml file under Documents, but my Documents folder is empty......

What have I done wrong????

Edit: I have worked out how to give administrator rights to the new account. I have never used different user accounts, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Would appreciate your help. 

2 hours ago, westbros said:

The first problem is that the installation hasn't placed an icon on my desktop, and I cannot find where the program is installed in Windows. 

Hello westbros

If you type FTX Central into your Windows search bar it will appear in the Options,    Then right click on it and click Pin to taskbar,   FTX Central will now be located in the bottom tray of your screen.

You can also click Open file location,  Then right click on FTX Central 3 > Send to > Desktop (Create shortcut)  It will now be located on your Desktop

2 hours ago, westbros said:

I decided to try to check the add-on.xml file under Documents, but my Documents folder is empty......

Empty,  As in no Prepar3D v4 Add ons folder ?   Or empty as in no Objectflow Add-on.xml file ? 

Did you launch Prepar3D first and then close it down again ?   Then check the Documents location again for the Prepar3D v4 Add ons folder ? 

If the Prepar3D v4 Add ons folder is in Documents but no Objectflow folder,  Launch FTX Central again wait maybe 15 seconds and repeat the process again of Ticking the Objectflow option and ensure you click Save 

Then look again for the Objectflow folder in Documents 

Hello,

I think you installed  and ran FTX Central before you had run P3D, so it would not have

seen it or installed objectflow.

When you log in as Westbros you should now have a whole new set of User folders, under

C:\Users\Westbros

Here is a checklist.

1. The first thing to do after logging on as Westbros is to install FTX Central, as you say 

you have done.

It should have installed to C:\Users\Westbros\AppData\Local\Orbx, you must add a

destop shortcut or start menu item that points to

C:\Users\Westbros\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\FTXCentral.exe.

2. Before you run FTX Central, run P3D v4 up to the aircraft on the ground in order to create the windows

registry entries that FTX Central needs to see P3D.

3. Only then run FTX Central for P3D v4, once again making sure that your desktop shortcut points to

C:\Users\Westbros\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\FtxCentral.exe

and not to

C:\Users\Gary & Adrian\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\FtxCentral.exe which will still be there

and would be found by a search for FTXCentral.

Check at the top left of the FTX Central window that it reads P3Dv4.

Give it time and watch for "activating Orbx scenery" at the lower left.

Don't close it until you have seen that and it has disappeared again.

4. Now start P3D and you should be asked if you want to run objectflow, answer yes.

Hi Nick and Elaine,

OK, so I followed your instructions and it finally worked on the 2nd attempt (for some reason on the 1st FTX Central couldn't find what simulator I was running)!!! ObjectFlow was showing in the Add-ons and ESSA had its ground textures in all their glory!! Huge joy, elation and relief were however short lived. Most of my sceneries were not showing in the scenery library, so I tried to load all of them manually in the scenery library and then for some reason P3D froze on start up. Because the whole thing had turned into a mess over the last week, I decided to bite the bullet and uninstall all of my sceneries and P3D and start again with a fresh installation on a clean slate on Westbros.

That has taken most of today. At some point P3D froze on the splash screen again, but I found Elaine's helpful advice on the P3D support forum and managed to get everything sorted. AT LAST!!!

Huge thanks to both of you (and other posters) who have faithfully stuck with me over the last week or so and got me to where I wanted to be. :)

Archived