Has anyone seen type of issue before?

Jocko Flocko

I am just curious if anyone has seen this type of problem in the attached screenshot? The white squares appear and disappear randomly only over water, sometimes for a minute sometimes for just a few seconds. I've never seen these white squares in FTX Regions like PNW, NCA, etc, only while flying in OrbX Vector Open LC North America. In vector I have Ice in winter disabled and I even did a P3D 4.2 "repair" to make sure I wasn't missing any core files. Everything is vanilla, no addon water, sky or shader modifications. I have emptied the shader cache multiple times, however the issue is still there. I am wondering if someone might be able to duplicate the issue at the coordinates in the screenshot? The area is Algonquin Park in Ontario Canada.

2018-7-8_2-5-6-821.jpg

Hi.  I have seen these squares in the past in different regions.  From memory I saw them appear in the water in Germany North quite a while back.  I have checked the exact area, and I don't see them in my sim at the coordinates you posted.

From my understanding, these are just artefacts, and can be caused by issues with settings, graphics card drivers etc.

To test, backup your p3d.cfg, then let the sim build a new one.  Check the area again with default settings that are set with the new p3d.cfg.  You can also try updating your graphics card driver, and/or adjusting graphics card settings.  You will need to delete your P3D shaders if updating your driver or changing graphics card settings.

Cheers,

Ok Scott, I'll check my drivers and allow a new P3D.cfg to be rebuilt. My drivers right now are Nvidia WHQL 388.00 (2017.10.23) running an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti. I've never had an issue with any other game or application and I'm a 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' kind of guy with Nvidia drivers as I have over a 120 different games installed right now that all run correctly.

And Nick, I have done all of those methods you suggested. This has only started happening since I installed Vector and began flying in very remote areas.

Hi there,

note that the color of those square is light blue, which indicates that they aren't incorrect textures, like white ice tiles, but rather no textures at all; this specific light blue is the "background" color of the sim globe free of textures. If you see these voids then it's indeed an indication that your sim is struggling to load mesh or textures in time. It's different from not being able to find certain textures -- which causes the sim to load random (morphing) ones instead -- and I don't believe it's a graphics driver issue either because it's usually confined to specific locations or types of textures, like, in your case, water. 

It's like the sim's display engine has already received all the required information -- name and location of files -- but then something causes a slow-down and prevents complete loading of those textures. Not sure what that might be, perhaps an antivirus app that slows down texture loading, or an issue with the mipmaps (=lower-detail subtextures) of those specific textures? Outside of FTX Regions those water textures would be default or perhaps third-party replacements, like REX.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger. I'm going to do quite a bit of testing this afternoon after updating my drivers. My computer is based off the top of the line Jetline System as I simply copied the components being used and the overclock settings (i8700K @ 5.3Ghz) However on my system I upgraded the cooling system, increased the memory quality and speed. I also have a  2TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 Solid State Drive that P3D v4 is installed on, all my other internal drives are 1TB Samsung EVO SSD drives.

Updated drivers, emptied shaders cache and deleted p3d.cfg. Now, this is odd, the problem isn't there with default settings and it's not lighting, shadow or texture size issue. As soon as I increased the detail radius from medium to high and my scenery, autogen and autogen draw distance to one notch below the highest, the squares came back. It's odd to me because it's only doing it in that one area that I've found. Ah well, one of those things I guess... :/

Archived