Protection

VH-KDK

16 minutes ago, paulb said:

That is an interesting shot Martyn :).

I wonder if ships can get through there?

Thanks for commenting Paul.

There are 4km of sluice gates which are usually left open for environmental reasons but I don't know if they are suitable for marine traffic to pass through.

No doubt Fred will be able to answer this question.

17 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks for commenting Paul.

There are 4km of sluice gates which are usually left open for environmental reasons but I don't know if they are suitable for marine traffic to pass through.

No doubt Fred will be able to answer this question.

Of course I know that....;)

Yes, there are locks between the Northsea and the Oosterschelde. It is called the Roompotsluis. (see map and the red arrow).

image.thumb.png.e7554c319cfcd625792abca9fe8c9897.png

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

Yes, there are locks between the Northsea and the Oosterschelde. It is called the Roompotsluis. (see map and the red arrow).

Cheers Fred, you being a keen sailor I was very sure you would have the answer.:D

11 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Thanks Fred.

I thought that there might be locks. We have locks both at Cardiff and Swansea Marinas. I have been through the Swansea one a number of times. The only big restriction is the length of the boat.

4 minutes ago, Richard Bui said:

Nice ! Roompotsluis has a special treatment. yu can get close there

That's right, there is a special tourist educative information centre.

Cheers Fred

14 minutes ago, paulb said:

Thanks Fred.

I thought that there might be locks. We have locks both at Cardiff and Swansea Marinas. I have been through the Swansea one a number of times. The only big restriction is the length of the boat.

If I remember well, it is the river Severn or Severn Estuary near Cardiff ?

Yeah, lot of British marinas are protected by a lock and they will only be opened during a certain period of time around high tide. Otherwise the marina will dry up.

So during the closed period you are trapped within the marina.

2 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Very good shot Martyn i know Manston  very well worked for the RAF  there as a civi driver for 4 years many years ago be for my European Trucking  regards EMM

Thanks Stewart, interesting to know you worked there.:)

4 hours ago, Sundancer said:

If I remember well, it is the river Severn or Severn Estuary near Cardiff ?

Yeah, lot of British marinas are protected by a lock and they will only be opened during a certain period of time around high tide. Otherwise the marina will dry up.

So during the closed period you are trapped within the marina.

That is correct Fred. The Severn Estuary (Bristol Channel) has one of the biggest tide movements in the world. It goes past both Swansea and Cardiff.

The locks are actually very flexible as to opening times. The issue is the draft of your boat.

I used to own a motor cruiser (33' Rinker twin Volvo td) berthed in Swansea. My two biggest issues were the winds and the tides. Winds were a real pain! With the tides the issues was simply avoiding low tide. Although some small fishing boats could get out. I usually waited for a couple of hours after low tide, as did the yachts.

Archived