Yr Antur Poseidon dros Gymru

VH-KDK

1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

I wouldthink that Spanish would be useful in the US Jack but why the kids learn European languages over here is a mystery especially as we are so close to Asia.:rolleyes:

Dunno, but learning another language is good for you, it challenges the mind. ;)

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:  With what, toothpicks? :lol:  I love your retorts Martyn, always makes me laugh. B):)

If  you can stand my retorts Jack the chemistry must be right!:wacko::wacko::lol:

Well I was going to use toothpicks but I couldn't see the point.:wacko:

6 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Dunno, but learning another language is good for you, it challenges the mind. ;)

It is good for you Jack but I was thinking as it being useful especially for the younger ones as it could be used in a career.:)

4 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Is that in every state of the US Jack, or only in the Southern states?

Fred, it's not in every state, nor is it mandatory that you have to learn Spanish. Now, all that said, learning a foreign language IS mandatory in most states, but it does not have to be Spanish, although that is the most recommended foreign language to learn considering where our country is located. I went to school in California, and although Spanish was the most popular foreign language class, you could also learn French and/or German instead. Personally, at least on the west coast of the USA, I think learning Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese or some dialect of Chinese would be better options to go along with the Spanish. Conversely, if you are living in the upper northeast of the USA, then learning some French would be good, considering that a lot of eastern Canada speaks French-Canadian. 

13 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Fred, it's not in every state, nor is it mandatory that you have to learn Spanish. Now, all that said, learning a foreign language IS mandatory in most states, but it does not have to be Spanish, although that is the most recommended foreign language to learn considering where our country is located. I went to school in California, and although Spanish was the most popular foreign language class, you could also learn French and/or German instead. Personally, at least on the west coast of the USA, I think learning Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese or some dialect of Chinese would be better options to go along with the Spanish. Conversely, if you are living in the upper northeast of the USA, then learning some French would be good, considering that a lot of eastern Canada speaks French-Canadian. 

Thanks Landon, very interesting. I can understand the movitation to study the languages in the examples you mentioned.

And how is the situation in the NY area or the large agriculture areas in the Midwest to complete my understanding.

2 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Thanks Landon, very interesting. I can understand the movitation to study the languages in the examples you mentioned.

And how is the situation in the NY area or the large agriculture areas in the Midwest to complete my understanding.

Well Fred, I can the advantage of learning just about any language if you live in the New York area, although I imagine Spanish is the predominately learned language in school. Still, with so many people from all over the globe there, I would think there could be many languages that would beneficial...if I had to guess, I would say Russian, Persian, Jewish and probably several African languages would all be good there, as of course Spanish. 

Now, the Midwest? Mostly, Spanish would be the best foreign language as there are lots of migrant workers in that area working in the agriculture industry. I would think that Spanish is predominately the foreign language most learned in school in that area, but I could be wrong. I have lived all over the USA, but the Midwest is the one area where I have spent the least time living. Maybe someone else can chime in that lives there or was raised there.

Thanks again, Landon for the addition.

In the time when I visited primary and high school (yes, long ago), we were educated in three foreign languages, English, German and French.

Nowadays two languages, including English are mandatory.

20 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Thanks again, Landon for the addition.

In the time when I visited primary and high school (yes, long ago), we were educated in three foreign languages, English, German and French.

Nowadays two languages, including English are mandatory.

Your welcome Fred. And yes, I think that is something I wish my country did better at, especially nowadays. We live in a global environment now, and people that speak different languages are intermingled all over the place. In my opinion, it would benefit my country if learning more than two languages was mandatory. I know from personal, global experience that nothing starts better when you travel and you at least try to learn a little bit of the language wherever you are. For example, anytime I travel to another country, I always want to learn a few key phrases....

1) I want to know the phrase "How do you say..." and then I can point at something, like a sign or object. 

2) Where is the restroom

3) How to order a beer and some food....(ultra important :D )

4) How to say "Please" and "Thank You"....this being the most important thing to learn, in my opinion ;) 

Showing someone that speaks a different language that you are willing to try to speak their language goes such a long way to building a good relationship with them.

Landon has made many interesting points here that are along the lines of my thinking.

I agree that if you are going to visit it is well worth while learning some useful phrases.

However if you are going to live in another country for what ever reason, you should learn that native language and not expect the local people to have to learn your language.

23 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

Your welcome Fred. And yes, I think that is something I wish my country did better at, especially nowadays. We live in a global environment now, and people that speak different languages are intermingled all over the place. In my opinion, it would benefit my country if learning more than two languages was mandatory. I know from personal, global experience that nothing starts better when you travel and you at least try to learn a little bit of the language wherever you are. For example, anytime I travel to another country, I always want to learn a few key phrases....

1) I want to know the phrase "How do you say..." and then I can point at something, like a sign or object. 

2) Where is the restroom

3) How to order a beer and some food....(ultra important :D )

4) How to say "Please" and "Thank You"....this being the most important thing to learn, in my opinion ;) 

Showing someone that speaks a different language that you are willing to try to speak their language goes such a long way to building a good relationship with them.

Sorry for the late reaction, I was most of the day away....

That is a good suggestion you made to learn these basics. I was (and am) never good in foreign languages that's why we never go on holiday to countries where I can't understand or speak their language. Luckily we are not 'big' travelers and always stay in Europe in countries where English or German is spoken.

I worked 20 years for a German company, so that's no problem, although I have to say when you don't practise it every day, the routine reduces quite fast....anyway I can handle your four phrases in German without problems :D

When I can't express myself it makes me uncomfortable and nervous.....

Archived