Not enough space to install Netherlands TrueEarth HD

ikbenik

I tried before my current problem via changing the temporary file on another drive than C:\ with more than enough space left(182GB). But download stopped

and was busy to extract(and install?) the package without result. I had to stop the HDD (in my config E:\) because he was 100% reading/wrinting for already

more the 6 hours without any progress and no moves of files to my Orbx-folder within the FS-directory(P3Dv4) on the C:\ drive.

NotenoughspaceforNeth.HD_2.jpg

Tried to alter the 'temp' drive to my c:\-drive because supposing of enough space, but a message via popup indicates requiring 76.48GB but I have 135GB free.

NotenoughspaceforNeth.HD.jpg

Any advise/solutution is welcome why in the first case the temporary placed download on E:\ kept 100% working for more then 6 hours and why shoudn't

I have enough space for a direct download/Install on my Orbx-drive C:\ like shown on the screenshot above , thank you. 

Hi

Sorry, the disk size reporting is flawed and a fix is being worked on......you will need more like 225gb free space where the temp folder is located to install this product.

Orbx products are downloaded and unzipped to your C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp folder and sometimes need up to 3x their install size before they get installed to the simulator location, then after the install is complete they are removed from your C:\ drive. You can move the temp folder to a drive with more space as per the below link, or free up more space on C:\.. :)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818?auth=1

Cheers

Doug

I wonder how it will go with coming true earth regios like UK and Germany in future then we need HDD 2-3 TB free space to install

think that orbx serious have to think about this for future, because I think that most flightsim users will not have 2 tb SSD running

and with normal 2tb HDD loading takes ages.

I am curious about size of next region to follow.

hello,

You should prevent futur buyer about the size of their simulator HDD/SSD, i have a plenty free TB on my pc, but unfortunally your installer want to put the files into p3d folder where the free space is not enough, so what  i do know ?i bought someting and i can use it :/

5 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

Sorry, the disk size reporting is flawed and a fix is being worked on......you will need more like 225gb free space where the temp folder is located to install this product.

Orbx products are downloaded and unzipped to your C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Temp folder and sometimes need up to 3x their install size before they get installed to the simulator location, then after the install is complete they are removed from your C:\ drive. You can move the temp folder to a drive with more space as per the below link, or free up more space on C:\.. :)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/change-location-of-temp-files-folder-to-another/19f13330-dde1-404c-aa27-a76c0b450818?auth=1

Cheers

Doug

Doug,

I'm confused by this...I thought the new FTX Central allows you to move the temp folder to another drive. Are you saying that even though this is true, the C drive also needs up to 3x their install size before it can install?

In my case, I have three drives:

C

E for Prepard3D (has 172 GB left)

F, a 6TB drive where I store all my downloaded files AND where I have a folder for FTX Central for the TEMP DOWNLOAD LOCATION.

Are you saying that even with FTX Central set to use a TEMP DOWNLOAD LOCATION on a completely different drive, the most important is the C drive free space left?

Hi,

To get the new FTXC3 you will need to opt into FastLane at this link  https://orbxdirect.com/account/fastlane  

52 minutes ago, FlyBlueSkies said:

also needs up to 3x their install size before it can install?

It needs to download, extract, and install...1,2,3 ....if this is taking place all on the same drive, then yes that is up to 3x the space needed.....if your temp folder is located on a different drive, then just the download, extract will take place there, which would be up to 2x the space.

I have my P3Dv4 on a 2TB SSD, I tried putting my temp folder on a different internal HDD, but the extraction process would not take place, so after I moved my temp folder to the same 2TB SSD that the sim was on, it worked perfectly. I have also been made aware by a very reputable source that Windows10 is by far the worse OS for file management in this regard.

1 hour ago, FlyBlueSkies said:

I'm confused by this...I thought the new FTX Central allows you to move the temp folder to another drive. Are you saying that even though this is true, the C drive also needs up to 3x their install size before it can install?

Are you saying that even with FTX Central set to use a TEMP DOWNLOAD LOCATION on a completely different drive, the most important is the C drive free space left?

Hello,

in my experience, no.

If you move the download target folder using FTX Central version 3.3.0.2, the files

will be downloaded to that folder and the whole process will take place there.

Ideally, that folder should be on the same drive as the target simulator, otherwise the

already long process can take even longer.

Downloading and installing a 76GB product is testing the internet connection, the PC

hardware, the PC operating system, the PC configuration and the software, which is why

customers  are reporting such widely varying experiences.

For example, in my case I had to move hundreds of GB of data, wait 5 hours for the

download to complete and then another 2 hours for the extraction and installation before

moving most of the same GB again. Probably around 9 hours in total.

It did expose the woefully slow speed at which data is transferred inside the PC it seems

even when it is all on the same HDD.

I understand that those with large enough SSDs find the process much faster, as one should expect.

4 hours ago, sim123 said:

I wonder how it will go with coming true earth regios like UK and Germany in future then we need HDD 2-3 TB free space to install

think that orbx serious have to think about this for future, because I think that most flightsim users will not have 2 tb SSD running

and with normal 2tb HDD loading takes ages.

I am curious about size of next region to follow.

It is not up to Orbx or other developers to future proof flight sim users, I think most flight sim users will have to think about there own hard drive space requirements just as they do there other hardware requirements such as CPU, and GPU....

56 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

in my experience, no.

If you move the download target folder using FTX Central version 3.3.0.2, the files

will be downloaded to that folder and the whole process will take place there.

Ideally, that folder should be on the same drive as the target simulator, otherwise the

already long process can take even longer.

Downloading and installing a 76GB product is testing the internet connection, the PC

hardware, the PC operating system, the PC configuration and the software, which is why

customers  are reporting such widely varying experiences.

For example, in my case I had to move hundreds of GB of data, wait 5 hours for the

download to complete and then another 2 hours for the extraction and installation before

moving most of the same GB again. Probably around 9 hours in total.

It did expose the woefully slow speed at which data is transferred inside the PC it seems

even when it is all on the same HDD.

I understand that those with large enough SSDs find the process much faster, as one should expect.

Excellent information Nick!

I'll consider moving my FTX Central temp folder to my P3DV4 drive.

Great information!

1 hour ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi,

To get the new FTXC3 you will need to opt into FastLane at this link  https://orbxdirect.com/account/fastlane  

It needs to download, extract, and install...1,2,3 ....if this is taking place all on the same drive, then yes that is up to 3x the space needed.....if your temp folder is located on a different drive, then just the download, extract will take place there, which would be up to 2x the space.

I have my P3Dv4 on a 2TB SSD, I tried putting my temp folder on a different internal HDD, but the extraction process would not take place, so after I moved my temp folder to the same 2TB SSD that the sim was on, it worked perfectly. I have also been made aware by a very reputable source that Windows10 is by far the worse OS for file management in this regard.

Thanks Doug,

Excellent information as well!

I very much appreciate the support!

Offcourse you are right about

hdd size, but i have never seen

software besides orbx that uses

three time the space for installing.

until now max space was about 30gb but when we talk about this and coming scenery ahead we speaking of hundreds of gb.

when I look about prices for single ssd 2tb drive it 12times the price of a single orbx scenery.

Yes, I guess this is the new reality..... very few flight simmers hesitate to spend the big bucks on the latest and greatest of CPU’s and GPU’s when they are released....everybody also wants the most complex scenery and aircraft technology can produce, so why not expect the same in regards to our hard drives?

My problem is now solved. I connected via USB3 an external SSD drive with about 150GB free space. Download and extraction was performed on this drive in a couple of hours.

Then the installation was the 3th step and took about one hour adding the files(76,5GB) to my C:\ drive where all my Orbx sceneries are integrated in the FS P3Dv4.

Did tonight a first flight with great satisfaction and admiration for this splendid made scenery. A great respect to everyone in the team involved for making this Orbx-addition. 

I am struggling with this, too.  I thought I remembered that it was possible to install ORBX files to a different SSD than P3D is installed to.  But I'm not seeing that now.

I have only about 89GBs left on my P3D drive.  But I have another SSD I use for other scenery and REX, etc that still has more than 400GBs on it.  I'd love to have future ORBX packages installed to that drive.  (Nearly $300 for a decent 1TB SSD isn't where I want to be putting  my money right now, when I already have multiple 500GB SSDs for use with P3D.  To say nothing of the hassle involved in migrating P3D to a new drive...)

Is it possible to parcel up your ORBX installs?  Is it even possible to install them to a different drive than P3D resides on?

Archived