Barton.

Dadtom65

Just installed it and it’s fantastic, haven’t gotten around to visit the other freeware airports yet but I am sure they will be great all so. Thank you Orbx for getting into doing things for X plane now. Derek.

Got my finger over the buy button!

Does Barton conflict with a) X Europe autogen and b ) existing ortho for the UK?

Presuming if Barton is higher in the scenery library it will take priority?

1 hour ago, sidfadc said:

Got my finger over the buy button!

Does Barton conflict with a) X Europe autogen and b ) existing ortho for the UK?

Presuming if Barton is higher in the scenery library it will take priority?

I would try GBPRO for the UK, much better than X-Europe in the UK (must be something to do with Brexit):rolleyes: and Ortho still works well.

Also, unless I am wrong, Barton and GBPRO were both made by same person. antwob, tonywob ?

Top marks tonywob for a fantastic piece of work and don't anyone say Qrbx is not supporting X-Plane, in the past few weeks I have downloaded seven airports.

Kind regards

Ian S

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Does Barton conflict with a) X Europe autogen

No, you can use x-Europe for autogen, although I recommend you to use GB Pro v2 by Tony (while England TrueEarth is not yet available)
I love x-Europe for the so called "DACH" area, for England I still prefer GB Pro v2.
Note: both x-Europe and GB Pro v2 are hard on frames.

[and b ) existing ortho for the UK?

No, you can use your existing orthos. I have myself +53-004 and +53-004 Bing ZL18. Make sure they sit below EGCB, of course.

Great I have GBPro installed but installed X Europe the other week and removed GBPro to streamline my addons.  Either way thanks for answering my Q's, will buy this later when I am home from work.  Can't wait for the phenomenal looking TruEarth England to compliment this bad boy.  Exciting times!!

30 minutes ago, Ian S said:

I would try GBPRO for the UK, much better than X-Europe in the UK (must be something to do with Brexit):rolleyes: and Ortho still works well.

Also, unless I am wrong, Barton and GBPRO were both made by same person. antwob, tonywob ?

Yep that's me :). GB Pro is more detailed than X-Europe, which is pretty patchy in the UK, and unlike xEurope, it doesn't have German buildings everywhere and is not based on OSM. However if you use GB Pro, please be aware it can be heavy in places and does requires you to find your own orthos (Until TrueEarth comes along)

On 19/04/2018 at 7:59 PM, anfield ace said:

With reference to my previous comment, sorry guys I was just dissapointed because Ive been looking forwards to this commng out for FSX for years!

Apologies, and please disregard earlier comment!

I understand your disappointment, and don't think you needed to apologise for being disappointed.

Don

Loving Barton Tony. Flew some circuits and had a good look round. It is great being able to use real world visual cues for it now!

Couple of things I noticed though. Some of the houses are a square block rather than the semi detached neighbors. Noticed it in a couple of places including the mother in law's house replaced by a large cube!

The other thing is when I tried to fly under Barton bridge, because why not? One of it's legs is right in the middle of the ship canal, might make it slightly less navigable! :) It just needs moving over a tad.

Without a doubt my new favourite scenery. Can't wait for England to be released. Then buy it all again for p3d so hurry up with it!!!

I haven't got X-Plane unfortunately, have to draw the line somewhere and when it's altered for FSX and AFS2 I know I going to 'love' every bit of it.

But what is so pleasing is too read all the great comments coming in on Barton.  Stand tall Tony, we are so glad you're joined the Orbx phenomenon.

JimNZ

I have a couple of questions that you chaps may be able to answer. Is there a coverage map for this scenery anywhere? I installed it last night, and it blends in so well with the ortho scenery that I can't tell where the scenery ends and the ortho starts. Does it actually include the city centre or will that be part of true earth UK? In my quick test I'm seeing the city centre, but I'm not sure if it's the free version from the .org that I am seeing.

Last question, can it be installed on more than one version of XP at a time? XP11 is designed so you can have several installs on one machine, so I have one with ortho scenery and add ons in a stable version, the same version brought up to beta stage, and one completely vanilla beta version with no add ons at all. This is the first time I've used FTX central on XP, and I'll probably find out by trial and error later, but I wondered what others were experiencing.

I just need to test a bit more, but the Barton scenery looks great so far, and I like the way it blends with my existing scenery.  If True Earth is all as good as this, it might be time to ditch ortho for the UK and streamline the whole lot.

Hi John

Yes, there is a coverage map in the manual. The scenery doesn't extend out to cover the entire city-centre, but stops just after Salford Quays (which includes many landmarks). I added in a good coverage area used for the VRPs for the airfield, which should blend in nicely with the default or Ortho4XP scenery.  I did add one of the skyscrapers to the city centre, but it falls outside of the ortho coverage we have. The free city objects one available on X-Plane.org I believe uses 3D warehouse objects and can be very heavy, so watch that if you get performance or loading time issues. The full city centre will be added as part of TrueEarth (as will other cities).

The ortho coverage areas are cut along roads, so it will likely blend very well with your existing orthos. In fact, if your Ortho4XP coverage area is using Bing from a few months ago ,then we both used the same provider, so the orthos will be the same. The TrueEarth orthos are from recent aerial imagery so they should offer a nice improvement over the Bing ones.

Regarding having two versions of XP11 to test. Well, FTX Central will only pick up one, but what you can do is either symlink your Custom Scenery directory between the two versions (as I do), or duplicate the entire folder between your two installs. 

Thanks Tony, that's really helpful. I've had a bit more time to test and this now has me feeling very excited for the full UK release.

You can tell when you move from ortho+GBpro into the OrbX area, but it blends so well that you have to look very hard and it's a pretty smooth transition. However there is a noticeable lift in framerate for me over the Barton map, which is something we all appreciate. There is a smoothness and subtlety to the OrbX area that is a step up in visual quality. This is flying 500-800ft in the Bell 407 at slow speed.

I haven't tried in VR yet, but I went back to 2D just so I could crank up the detail and get the full experience.

One of the things that was on my mind, given the high standard of XP11 scenery that can be assembled with a bit of work but very little cost outlay. Truth is you can get XP11 looking amazing more or less for free. After using the Barton scenery though, it looks like we'll get better framerate and higher image quality, alongside considerably less faffing about, which makes it more than worth it in my book.

Great work, very impressed, thanks for your hard work on this, it is very much appreciated.

Archived