VR, is there a virtual age limit.

A young Geek told me my rig was really up for VR. I told him many in the sim world were into.it, big time.  I also said I thought there was another programme required to make the panels clickable and turntable. As well I said there was an older programme called TrackIR that was poroven.  What say you to a 79 yr old who still loves simming...daily.

Thanks Olderndirt for at least commenting. I watched a few videos of Occulus and Fly Inside. The woozies got me. So I have ordered the latest version of TrackIR, I can always take my hat off if I feel unwell. Thx guys, your response was overwhelming........

Mate, I am with you on VR,  and I have had TrackIR for years, but never got it set up to suit me.. so I stick to two standard 30 inch Monitor, and STILL have a ball flying..I don't think I have missed many days since I became an old Coot (and Lovin' it).. Teecee.

I just took a dive into the VR pool and have discovered boy do I have a lot to learn.  

Oculus for simming is still an infant and has a lot of growing up to do just like MSFS was back in the 80's.

Doing a loop in VR is so different.  Your whole body feels it.

Dale

On 3/14/2018 at 10:17 PM, macca22au said:

Thanks Olderndirt for at least commenting. I watched a few videos of Occulus and Fly Inside. The woozies got me. So I have ordered the latest version of TrackIR, I can always take my hat off if I feel unwell. Thx guys, your response was overwhelming........

And that's why I purchased a pack of seasick pills and keep a trash can handy. :wacko:

So far, so good, everything is staying in my stomach but I have yet to have enough courage to find out what my limits are.

When the woozies start you can just raise the visor to reset your inner ear.

It's sort of like becoming an Astronaut.  Learning to overcome the nausea is why they all have to fly in the Vomit Comet.

If you like Track IR you will love Oculus.  It is the closest thing to actually sitting in the cockpit.  

Dale

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, macca22au said:

What say you to a 79 yr old who still loves simming...daily.

Just found your post and I would say VR sort of depends on what you want out of the sim.  For me I was interested in what the buzz was all about so I got the Oculus Rift Touch a couple of weeks ago and have been pleasently surprized by it (well worth the money for me)!  I does have some growing up yet to go through but I think sometime soon it will get there.  As for the sickness I have not had any in the flight sim but on some of the other programs offered on the Oculus site I found I did have to remove the headset for a second or two to reorient myself.  If you are the adventureous type I would certainly go for it but if you are content with your current setup that's the place to stay.  I am 72 and feel like a kid again learning this new stuff! :D:rolleyes::wub:

• 1 month later...

I can see how VR is going to be the system for our grandkids to use,

I do like it but it needs to grow for a while.

On top of the need for better resolution, somebody really needs to come up with better flight controls.    You can forget about using your keyboard or anything else in the "real world".

Archived