Blurry Ground

drefial

1 hour ago, Lawrence Hickerson said:

I have found more details and very crisp low level graphics by keeping my Frames set at 26.  I also have my settings to get a lot of shading and reflections.

Exactly.

Same here, only I use 24 fps. (tried that after  a comment Nick made a while back, and it does help)

I found fsx to be much better than p3dv4 at lower levels, and have also noted in my travels to some other forums, including LM p3d forum, that there seem to be quite a few posts similar to 

this topic here.

LM is supposedly aware and working on it.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:55 AM, lawrence aldrich said:

Exactly.

Same here, only I use 24 fps. (tried that after  a comment Nick made a while back, and it does help)

I found fsx to be much better than p3dv4 at lower levels, and have also noted in my travels to some other forums, including LM p3d forum, that there seem to be quite a few posts similar to 

this topic here.

LM is supposedly aware and working on it.

Agree, I just do not accept that it has taken a decade of computer upgrades to get us to where we just now can get a good result from the graphics.  As a gamer (also), I will put most of the issues to the process of creating the images from the "detail" of the images.  I would say "blurry does" as "blurry is".   Blame it on Direct X, OS, or whatever in the graphic creating, but do not blame it on a modern fast computer and graphic cards.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2018 at 8:22 AM, Lawrence Hickerson said:

Agree, I just do not accept that it has taken a decade of computer upgrades to get us to where we just now can get a good result from the graphics.  As a gamer (also), I will put most of the issues to the process of creating the images from the "detail" of the images.  I would say "blurry does" as "blurry is".   Blame it on Direct X, OS, or whatever in the graphic creating, but do not blame it on a modern fast computer and graphic cards.

According to Prepar3d, the washed out graphics are caused by a combination of LOAD and FPS on your video card which cannot support all that you are giving it at a certain FPS.  For true HD at 30 FPS, you would need at least a 11Gb TI card.

My 1070Ti card with just 8Gb will not display correctly at 30fps.  It stutters and at blurs at HD subjects.  It will even not display all the eye candy that I have turned on.  After your post, I did some reading at P3D forum.  I now have all my HD and running my sims at 22 FPS.  It is totally smooth with very HD settings.  I am happy as a Lark.  Try it.  You may like it.

Also, DO NOT ADD older Tweaks to v4.2.  It is tuned to recognize your setup.  They recommend a few you may use. 

Orbx has never looked so good at 3086 x 1080 and using 4096 graphics.

Larry

I signed in to make the same thread. Launch fsx and P3dV4 and the difference when on the ground is striking. FSX ground textures are wayyyy more crisp. This is not an orbx problem because the base sim does the same thing. P3dV4 is applying some kind of softening algorithm or something to foliage ground textures until you get to about 100 feet or so and then everything clears up. I've only been using p3dv4 for a few days and I am going to request a refund because of it. I've tried it on both of my rigs to see if it was something specific to my first PC but the 2nd rig does the same thing. Both are high end machines. You can change all the settings you want and it makes no difference to texture quality when on the ground.

FSX provides a much higher level of textures than this so called high end V4 sim does. Very sad. Can't believe more people aren't discussing this issue. The first time I installed the sim and noticed it I was like wth is this. It looks terrible and all of orbx's hard work  on local airports is negated because of it. I would highly encourage orbx to touch base with LM over this issue and fix it ASAP. Frankly I can't understand why you haven't already?

On 3/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, Lawrence Hickerson said:

I have found more details and very crisp low level graphics by keeping my Frames set at 26.  I also have my settings to get a lot of shading and reflections.

Where do you set your frame rate, in the sim?

Fxaa was already tried. No idea what a detail.bmp is but everything gets crystal clear right after takeoff as I said. The sim itself appears to be applying some kind of softening filter on the ground probably for frame rates. Increasing or decreasing settings makes no difference at all. If I can’t figure out how to fix it in the next month then I am definitely applying for refund. 

23 hours ago, j0nx said:

I signed in to make the same thread. Launch fsx and P3dV4 and the difference when on the ground is striking. FSX ground textures are wayyyy more crisp. This is not an orbx problem because the base sim does the same thing. P3dV4 is applying some kind of softening algorithm or something to foliage ground textures until you get to about 100 feet or so and then everything clears up. I've only been using p3dv4 for a few days and I am going to request a refund because of it. I've tried it on both of my rigs to see if it was something specific to my first PC but the 2nd rig does the same thing. Both are high end machines. You can change all the settings you want and it makes no difference to texture quality when on the ground.

FSX provides a much higher level of textures than this so called high end V4 sim does. Very sad. Can't believe more people aren't discussing this issue. The first time I installed the sim and noticed it I was like wth is this. It looks terrible and all of orbx's hard work  on local airports is negated because of it. I would highly encourage orbx to touch base with LM over this issue and fix it ASAP. Frankly I can't understand why you haven't already?

I am running Steam on one SSD and P3Dv4 on the other.  Since my P3Dv4 out shines FSX in all categories, I must assume your setup of P3D must be bad.  It is like day and night on my system.  I have been running both ever since P3Dv2.5.  Nothing can touch P3DV4 on a Windows 10 machine.

3 hours ago, Lawrence Hickerson said:

Nothing can touch P3DV4 on a Windows 10 machine.

The same could be said of a Windows 7 machine.  And I would add that more people aren't discussing this issue because they don't have this issue.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:26 AM, j0nx said:

On 5/1/2018 at 2:35 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

The same could be said of a Windows 7 machine.  And I would add that more people aren't discussing this issue because they don't have this issue.

I have no way to respond to either of you without upsetting each of you any further.  So let me take back my reply and redirect a reply to MY INITIAL ISSUES with P3D from 2.5 to 4.2.

First, there is not a generic setup for all platforms that every simmer is using.  This includes your MONITORS and what is inside the COMPUTER. 

Two, I have NOT FOUND one single setup which is giving me my clarity for running my system:  Two HP 27er's in 3840 x 1080 resolution attached to my Alienware Aurora 7 with an i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz, 32 GB ram, and a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti.

Three, my first impressions were not good either.  For this reason I kept my trusty old Steam FSX installed.

Four, to get where I am now I had to 'VALIDATE' each and every slider position and radial button selection. 

Five,  I would give my setup for each page of setup, but I do not think it will help anyone who is frustrated with P3D.  My recommendation is do what I did in line FOUR.  Validate everything from frame rates to using HDR.  It will not be the same. 

And lastly, I can understand the frustration and sorry that I am also part of the problem and not the solution.

Until standardized computers are issued to everyone regardless of race, color, religion and bank balances, nobody will ever have a solution to this problem.

I generally just do whatever Nick Cooper suggests and have no problem.

I try to keep in mind that I'm just playing a game .

A few blurries is not the same as missing your live refueling hookup over the middle of the Atlantic.

4 hours ago, Lawrence Hickerson said:

And lastly, I can understand the frustration and sorry that I am also part of the problem and not the solution

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I am not frustrated with P3Dv4.x running on Win7.  On the contrary, I'm quite satisfied and continue to find small improvements here and there which may, or may not, apply to anyone else.  So Lawrence's advice is spot-on, imo.

Hi all, maybe this will clear it up for those of you who can help. I have installed P3d4 on two different higher end PCs with the same exact result of blurry grass ground textures when sitting on the ground so it is NOT a PC problem.

The first photo is FSX at Jefferson County. Note how crisp and clean the grassy ground texture is.

2018-5-5_15-39-59-130.jpg.5228260e1aac0a34a4afd62a340eb099.jpg

The 2nd photo is in the exact same spot at Jefferson with P3D4. Look how washed out and blurry the ground is compared to FSX. It's harrible.

2018-5-5_15-54-49-153.thumb.jpg.862dddb5c32840c195914d8261b67970.jpg

The texture settings and other display config settings make absolutely no difference in quality that I can see. If this is a PC setting that can clear this up then I am all ears. Thanks!

Hi there,

the difference is in the aforementioned detail1.bmp global "bumpmap" file, it looks like you're using a replacement of the "bland" default version in your FSX installation.

See https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/145249-strange-winter-textures/?do=findComment&comment=1281956

You can experiment with the Orbx replacements, which are located in \ORBX\Scripts\Aero\Source\. Make a backup of the default version and then test the four options we have available; I believe you can do so with the sim running, in slew or pause mode, meaning no re-start is necessary.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: in FSX one can quickly activate/deactivate the detail1.bmp overlay in the scenery menu via the "Land detail textures" checkbox in Options > Settings > Display > Scenery. In P3Dv4 that checkbox has been removed from the menu though the flag still exists in the P3D.cfg file (DETAIL_TEXTURE=), with default setting = "1" / on.

Thanks Holger, that made some serious difference but it is still nowhere good as FSX on the ground even using the same default1.bmp. Nick mentioned that the other day but I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about. The aero program does not work for me in P3D4 because when I run it, it just shoots out an error which is why I guess you have to copy it manually instead. It's better at least we are headed in the right direction.

On 5/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, j0nx said:

Thanks Holger, that made some serious difference but it is still nowhere good as FSX on the ground even using the same default1.bmp. Nick mentioned that the other day but I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about. The aero program does not work for me in P3D4 because when I run it, it just shoots out an error which is why I guess you have to copy it manually instead. It's better at least we are headed in the right direction.

Still doesn't sound right.  I have seen some change their "Image and Texture Quality" settings according to their visuals in day and night because of their monitors.  My HP 27er's in wideview is very crisp with FXAA: on, AA:8xMSAA, Anisotropic 16x, and Ultra - 4096x4096.    Now this other guy will change between day and night by changing the AA: settings from MSAA to SSAA.  And for me, I do not use any VSync.

Wishing you the best.

Darn and I just loaded my online cart and was just about to buy another $120 worth of your software too since the big sale started today but I guess I will have to forget that now since you are recommending that I ask for a refund for the sim instead of trying to get to the bottom of my issue.

Grumpy support guy costs company income...

Thanks to Holger's detailed post I was able to get the sim to an acceptable level of ground detail. It is still not nearly as clear as FSX for some odd reason but it is good enough. It would be nice to know though if it wouldn't inconvenience you my liege if you could let me know why the aero program doesn't work and gives errors when I run it from the P3D folder.

Hello,

As has been explained , the two simulators do not work in the same way

and there is nothing further that we can add to the very good advice already given.

There are numerous versions of detail1.bmp available, an internet search for detail1.bmp

will find you many to choose from and you may find one that meets your needs.

My preference is this one:

Untitled.jpg

The Aero program is apparently not compatible with P3D v4, so if

you wish to try those Detail1.bmp files, you must manually copy them into P3D v4.

Archived