Water issue when flying low P3Dv4.1

bill721

Hi Doug, Hope you had a great Holiday.  Thanks for the quick reply and assistance.  Let me know if you need anything else..

New simulator P3Dv4.1

Water settings:

Water Detail Medium

Envdir            

Inland Water, Ocean Water, and Tropical Water = Resolution  1024   Compression    DXT5

Inland water Set 1 Photoreal 

Ocean water Set 1 Photoreal

Tropical water Set 1 Photoreal

Waves Set 4

Active Sky for P3Dv4

Active Sky Cloud Art

New PC

MasterLiquid 120 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1, 80+ GOLD, 750W Fully Modular PS
LITE-ON DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS124-14FU - OEM
ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1STBLKBAS
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive WD1003FZEX-00M2A0
WD Blue 4TB Hard Drive WD40EZRZ
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GVK
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 65W BX80684I78700 Desktop Processor …
Windows 10 Pro 32-bit/64-bit OEM Download
Intel SSD 600p Series (1.0TB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC) SSDPEKKW010T7X1
Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handle SGC-2100-KWN3 Black  From Amazon
Alienware - AW2518H 25" LED FHD GSync Monitor - Black
4-Year Geek Squad Product Replacement for Monitor
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING, 11G-P4-6593-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M + Free Destiny 2 Game
2 x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Red LED Silent Fan

cables for Splitting and extending fans

ORBX Sceneries

Your products
FTX Global openLC North America Info
FTX Global BASE Pack Info
FTX Global VECTOR Info
FTX Global Trees HD Info
FTX Global openLC North America Alaska/Canada Info
KCGX Merrill C. Meigs Field Info
KSEZ Sedona Airport Info
NA Central Rockies Info
NA Southern Alaska Info
NA Northern Rockies Info
NA Pacific Northwest Info

NA Pacific Fjords Info

I tried flying in the summer and it didn't change the issue.  Not sure if that is a good test for frozen water.  The frozen water issue in the link above looks different that the light blue squares I'm seeing so not sure if it is the same issue.

Thanks, 

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth,  I've seen this phenomena repeatedly in FSX when I  was simply asking too much of my setup. Admittedly P3D is not FSX, but I note that you have a lot of products installed which combined might be too much even for your powerful setting.  You might disable /uninstall all but the basics and then add products one at time, reviewing your sim settings at each step.  Another issue I've wondered about is that although the claim is that product A is compatible with B,  C is compatible with B, and A is also claimed to be compatible with C, on and on,  with frequent updates to all, it would not be surprising if subtle compatibility issues arise. (A, B and C are just placeholders.)

Larry, thanks for the reply. I've tried simply loading the sim alone and the issue is still there.  My system isn't being task when the issue happens.  I've even see it a high altitudes with 70 or more frame rates.   It is just a nuisance and simply takes away from the great visuals that P3Dv4 has when it happens.  It doesn't happen and all the time when I fly over water.  Just certain areas and I see no rhyme or reason when it happens.   It happens every time when landing at KLIT as stated above so I can reproduce it.  Everything else is working really great.  You will love P3Dv4.1 when you make the jump.  

I wonder if any other owners of P3Dv4.1 see the same thing?

Bill  

Hi guys,

interesting indeed. Something I missed in the original screenshot but noticed on Nick's: these aren't corrupted textures but actually texture "voids" meaning no textures get applied at all to the water mesh. Notice the vertical features visible in the light-blue areas. Those are the lower parts of extrusion objects, such as antennae and bridge pylons; if you extend those features up you'll find  their parts that are above ground. Extrusion objects are very tall models that get only extruded above ground level by the required amount. In other words, in those light-blue areas you're looking through the terrain into the "underworld" of the sim.

This issue is unrelated to that with our "frozen" water, which is simply a problem with reflective overlays/shaders. However, I have no idea how one would even create such void areas. It's possible that something in the code of the nearby default airport causes it but I wouldn't really know what to look for.

Cheers, Holger 

Hello Holger,

thanks for your observation.

I have done a few tests and on the face of it, there is some kind of adverse reaction with Vector.

Disabling the APT files and the AEC files has no effect at all, however, once the aircraft is positioned

to see the shapes: 

This is with all of Vector enabled

image.jpg

and now with just the CVX, OBJ and EXX scenery libraries unticked

image.jpg

Ticking them returns to this

image.jpg

However, this is the same location with the entire scenery library disabled, except for the very few required core files and the three Vector entries active.

image.jpg

and here it is without those three Vector library entries.

image.jpg

so I must guess that it is something to do with Vector.

Folks thanks for looking at it. 

I think it has something to do with Vector also but not sure exactly what. 

I wonder why it isn't happening with what Doug is running.  

You think the Vector owner might take a look and maybe he might see something?

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Archived