Snow on the ground

Marshall01

Hello and happy new year

I am new so forgive me if this question is a repeat.

I have Active Sky for P3d v4 and it works fine. But it seems the orbx scenery  gives false snow when there is no snow and the climate is warm.

I have been shopping in the sale and have the Base, Vector., OpenLC Europe, EU  and EGHI Southampton. I have no other add on scenery.

Windows 10 pro, P3D v4, GSX, Pro ATC networked, PMDG aircraft.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Nick

So what you are saying is Active Sky does not work for scenery  when using  real time weather. it's only real use for the simulation is just the wind.

So in your expert opinion, how would you correct this, is it Lockhead Martin.

Hello,

I am not sure that I am saying that at all, although I do have Active Sky for FSX and for P3D,

I am no expert in how it works.

As I understand the ground textures, I have explained and I think I am correct.

I would expect that if one was seeing green ground textures and Active Sky made snow start to fall,

that the green textures would gradually turn to snowy ones.

It must be said that the way it happens is less than realistic, they change in blocks and look quite odd

if there is not snow all over the visible area.

The effect of falling snow is not well handled by FSX or P3D ground textures.

The simulators do seem to react well to falling rain, hard surfaces do look wet and if it is snowing,

the hard surfaces will look a bit snowy but the terrain textures only change all at once for each tile and in blocks.

May I add, that Acitve Sky not only simulates the wind but also the cloud types and at what locations and altitudes the clouds appear.  This is easily verified by viewing ASN's active sky map as you are flying your route--what you see on ASN's map, you also see outside your cockpit.

I once made a flight from Monterey to Las Vegas, using ASN (in FSX) as the weather engine.  I arrived at Las Vegas just as it started to rain, landed safely, and then sat on the ramp as the storm increased in intensity.  The next morning, I checked the weather reports for Las Vegas, and sure enough,  there had been a rainstorm at Las Vegas at the time I was sitting on the ramp.  The weather was recreated realistically by both ASN and FSX, including the wet tarmac surface, etc., and the occasional lightning flash.  A great example of the immersion possible with today's flight sims.

3 minutes ago, alanmetcalf said:

Snow is trickier, by all accounts.  You can be sitting on the ground and watching it snow on your aircraft, but it doesn't stick to the ground at all.  Mainly, I think, it's not the correct season for the snow to show on the surrounding terrain--it's the wrong season for the simulator to display snow on the ground.  I've seen this happen.  Oh, well, it's only a sim, not real life.

Archived