Why you shouldn't rely on sat-nav

andy1252

Following the recent successful hack of the gps database by the London Hackney Carriage association, a Uber driver begins to doubt the veracity of his in-car app as he finally approaches what he believes to be Kings Cross Station (but is actually McMurdo Station)

YjNroR2.jpg

Nice shot Andy. Very long days down there and very white. Great story to go with it :)

Sidebar:

I flew to Antarctica, working, about six months before the accident. We (in a C130) flew around the mountain shortly after take off from Scott. (I still have a couple of shots. At the time, I didn't realise there was a large mountain in Antarctica)

It was very sad to watch the TV pictures, later in November, with a large black area on the side of Erebus with so much loss of life.

Thought provoking.

Aussie

Sorry to take the tone down on what is a very funny post.

It's just that in the last two hours I have been trying to remember why that particular crash affected me so much. I then figured out that I arrived back in the big brown land of Oz only eight weeks before the crash. Naturally, every man and his dog asks what it is like down there. You need to remember that in the 1970's it was impossible to get down to Antarctica if you were not part of the mission. (There was a Russian icebreaker leaving from Chile  a couple of times a year but that was prohibitively expensive).

I was enthusiastically recommending these sightseeing flights. Particularly, the next one that was leaving from Christchurch in November. 

I was fortunate that none of my friends or relatives took my advice otherwise I would be mourning them, amongst the 237 passengers looking for that once in a lifetime photo. I have great admiration for those involved in the crash recovery process down there.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:34 AM, Aussie123 said:

Sorry to take the tone down on what is a very funny post.

Hi Aussie, and on the contrary, I'm sorry to have invoked bad memories. I was totally unaware of this event

On 12/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, VH-KDK said:

Sadly it is not the first time that wrong information has led to dire events in this area

Thanks for the link, Martyn. Further proof that man can f*** up just about anything in just about any given situation, no matter how unlikely it might seem

On 12/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, BradB said:

Cheers

John

Thanks John! I don't know what the US version was like, but I couldn't take the original at all. I never took to Ricky Gervais - don't know why, just never found him funny, and the whole office scenario was way too much like real life. I figured I'd had to work with prats like that in the past so why would I want to watch them on tele. But - nice clip!

On 12/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, stewart1 said:

Super shot  Andy you are lucky you did not end up in a river that's what normally happens with sat nav  regards stewart

Cheers Stewart. Yep, we're always reading about lorries getting stuck down the lanes around our way, and I'm sure it must happen round your neck of the woods too.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:59 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol:  I love it!  Good one Andy! :lol:

Cheers, Jack - I shall expect to see a whole series of misadventures in the frozen south in comic strip form soon <grin>

2 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Hi Aussie, and on the contrary, I'm sorry to have invoked bad memories. I was totally unaware of this event

Thanks for the link, Martyn. Further proof that man can f*** up just about anything in just about any given situation, no matter how unlikely it might seem

Thanks John! I don't know what the US version was like, but I couldn't take the original at all. I never took to Ricky Gervais - don't know why, just never found him funny, and the whole office scenario was way too much like real life. I figured I'd had to work with prats like that in the past so why would I want to watch them on tele. But - nice clip!

Cheers Stewart. Yep, we're always reading about lorries getting stuck down the lanes around our way, and I'm sure it must happen round your neck of the woods too.

Cheers, Jack - I shall expect to see a whole series of misadventures in the frozen south in comic strip form soon <grin>

I was doing a milk round at Eastleigh at the time and used to call on an old couple every week day for a cup of tea. This particular morning they were very worried as their daughter in law worked for ANZ and they didn't know if she was working on that flight. No instant communications in those days but they did eventually find out that she was not on the plane.

A very sad business. 

Archived