Scenery like melted chocolat

Ed Koorevaar

Hi there.

Does any one knows what cause this? Please have a look at the attached images. I read somwhere that it could be caused because of my Gforce 970 graphic card with 4Gig. So I bought a GF1080TI with 11 Gig. But I noticed no changes. And I even had not set the sliders in P3Dversion4 to max. My memory is 16G

In the first image you can see that ORBX is not following my path. It always followed with my plane in the middle of the scenery area. Now I fly outside of it. And in the second image you see the ground scnery as melted chocolat.

Hope this is a know issue and it can be solved by....

Thanks and regards,

Ed

orbx.PNG

orbx2.PNG

What speed are you flying at?  A fast jet can be too fast for the scenery to catch up.  It looks like you might have slewed to this spot for this image?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the first image, it looks like what you should see when you're very high up, the image is centred on your aircraft position and shows the limited extent of scenery available to P3D around your aircraft.  The limit is adequate for normal flying but unsuitable for space shuttle missions.

Lately I observed the same thing with similar hardware (only GF 970) and P3D v. 4.1 - flying at 250 kn over ORBX-GES the scenery became completely blurry. Even after pausing the sim the sharp textures and autogen appeared very reluctantly - it took several minutes. Could it be a bug in P3D?

Gentlemen,

Here is a past post by Holger on the subject

Hi guys,

just to be clear, if the texture issues only appear after flying for a while then this probably has nothing to do with a corrupt terrain.cfg or missing landclass textures, meaning the fixes documented for those (terrain.cfg replacement or forced migration) won't have any effect. Those issues would be apparent right away, especially when slewing around your start location. 

What you describe sounds more like a resource exhaustion issue, meaning your PC somehow can't keep up with ground texture loading. The terrain around the user aircraft gets constructed on-the-fly; any hiccups during the assembly phase can cause odd textures to appear (or no textures at all: the infamous light blue "voids"), autogen houses to start floating, temporary terrain spikes, etc. Thus, I'd experiment with slider settings like, autogen density or terrain detail, to understand what particular component, if any, appears to be the main contributor.

Cheers, Holger 

Thanks for yours answers,

The way Holger described is, is exactly what I face. John, the first image is what Holger meant. 'The terrain around the user aircraft gets constructed on-the-fly'. The blue part of it is what is missing. The terrain round my aircraft is not. The red part I made, is missing. So the terrain is not constructed. I did nothing with slew. Just a picture I took from my plane banking to the left. Thats where I noticed the melted choclat. And about your point, Markus, I have never had this with P3Dversion 4. So it could be aP3D issue too. And perhaps cause the 64bit this on my system.

So I will start by sliding back. Its a pitty that you can';t see changes on the fly, when I change these sliders. Whatever I tried, the issue remains. I have to reset or restart, but a no go on the fly. Keep you updated what helped.

Thanks and regards,

Ed

Thank you.

I must say I never had this issue with previous P3D. So as you say, it could be an P3D4.1 bug. For two evenings now, I got a better result. I have slide the autogen draw distance from very high to high. And with this setting, it is following my aircraft niceley.

For now thanks and will keep you updated if I notice any changes.

Best regards,
Ed

Archived