FTX Norway revisited

Sundancer

Hello support team,

As per Tim Harris' instructions that piggybacking is not desirable for the support team, I will start a new thread. 

Nevertheless, there are some similarities to Willinil's thread from November 23, titled FTX Norway.

After reading that topic I wanted to check things in my installation and found something strange.

I do have 59 files (instead of 60) starting with cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water and I am missing cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl

Switching between summer and winter is correct for all 30 pairs, even for the (single) 4909_summer file, which got the OFF extension after switching to winter.

image.png.a550fdc983ebc9644ddfdb6124452df9.png

resp.

image.png.8464d8504ae8f43671b84eb2d133f362.png

The total numbers of files in this map is 195:

image.png.d2c5fd35fda0b905ea2ac83d907dccf4.png

Furthermore I see the following strange effect, which might be a result of the missing file:

1. Select 'Frozen surface' in the Control Panel (CP)

2. Close the CP (Summer files get the OFF extension)

3. Open the CP again  --> both options are black (not selected) 

image.png.be3f1903fb16471e3f1d77a2e6b658c5.png

Summary:

W7,  FSX SP1,2, No third party addons in that part of Europe.

No UAC, no virus checker active during installation, no Temp space problems

Installation method: Install and create backup afterwards.

No problems during installation encountered (August 2017)

--> The \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery contains 195 items

--> missing cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl

Please your assistance to correct this.

Best regards Fred

Hi Fred

Maybe try going to your ORBX\User Documents\Versions folder and delete the "FTX_EU_NOR".txt, this will tell FTXC3 that it is no longer installed, then open FTXC3 and reinstall it, at which point it will only download and install missing or damaged files.

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thank you for responding, but to be honest I think your answer is a little bit.....easy (?).

I know that your proposal is the easiest way for reinstalling a region or other product, but that is not the root cause ....sorry

This error worries me for the following reasons:

- My missing file was cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl which is the first one in a set of 30 summer / winter paired files for Norway.

Being the first one in a set of 30 pairs which is missing, is that a pure coincidence or.....?

- Just as a test I created the missing file as a copy of cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_summer.bgl and renamed it into cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl,

to make the first (4909) pair complete.

image.png.6cc6f0abbb75426efc18e62376b67bae.png

Now the switching between summer and winter in the Control Panel is correct and my picture with two 'empty' selections (see previous post) does not occur anymore. 

That behaviour is correct.

- Now I have 195 + 1 (temporarily copied file) = 196 items in this map. But I do not have a guarantee that this number (196) is correct.

Who gives me the guarantee that for other regions my maps contain the correct number of files ?

It was pure by accident that I was triggered by the thread 'FTX NORWAY" as I wrote in my previous post.

How did I otherwise found out that a file was missing in my installation?

- What frightens me the most is that there was no warning at all during installation.

- Is there a logfile somewhere with different loglevels to be set during installation?

- Can you provide or is an overview available how many files should be in the maps for a region or other product, e.g. for my Norway installation

FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\scenery          490 items

FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\texture            273 items

FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery                    196 items

FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\texture                      293 items

FTX_EU_NOR_07_MESH\scenery                    13 items

FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\scenery               26 items

FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\texture             4824 items

Best regards Fred 

Hi Fred

Sorry if my suggestion offends you, but I usually like to keep things “easy” and simple, and I struggle to understand how my suggestion could possibly cause any harm. Please feel free to try it, it might save you some headaches. :):)

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug,

I really appreciate your answer and I also like things easy and simple, nevertheless I want to search for solutions down to the bottom.

(Have been working in ICT in Quality assurance and testing fields over 40 years and I did seldom rest until an error was found and could be reproduced.

The devs did not really like me ;-))

Now towards this topic, the fundamental question is:  How can I check that my Orbx installation is complete and correct ?

Just flying and running into a strange behaviour and then reporting is the wrong attitude in my opinion.

How about my suggestion to provide this list of maps with the necessary number of items?

Regards Fred

Hello Doug,

Don't want to hijack someone thread, but 'dimkzr' started a new thread "FTX Nowray: land instead of frozen water" some minutes ago.

It is identical with what I tried to tell, i.e. 195 files instead of 196, caused by one of the winter/summer files is missing.

It can't be a coincidence that exactly a file is missing in the same range of files with Mr. dimkzr, Willinil's thread from November 23, titled FTX Norway and my installation.

Would you please be so kind to forward this threads to be investigated by one of the dev's. There must be a reason for this phenomenon...

Regards Fred

3 hours ago, Sundancer said:

How can I check that my Orbx installation is complete and correct ?

Hi Fred

You are correct that there should be 196 items in the folder you referenced above, I have all 196 and I am not missing the file cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl. So I don't believe there is any wide spread major flaw to be concerned with.

You are probably missing the file because the server forgot to give it to you, these things happen, it has also happened for other Orbx products, its not a big deal....I am sure the devs would very much appreciate you trying the suggestion that has been given to you first, as the "reason for this phenomenon" may be as simple as that.  The whole idea of my suggestion is to install missing or replace damaged files. If this works then the devs are not required.  :) 

Cheers

Doug

Hello Doug,

A server hickup might be the reason for that, such things happen sometimes. But that is too simple....sorry again, and as I said, the dev's didn't really like me in the older days.

What you are overlooking is the fact that there is something strange for three users as I wrote earlier.

1: Willinil's thread from November 23, titled "FTX Norway", answered by Mr. Holger Sandmann. There was a doubling of the water/summer pairs. Doubling....how comes?

Please do read that thread if you haven't yet.

2. This thread. Missing 1 file (195 instead of 196), also causing the Control Panel error

3. Yesterday's started thread from Mr. dimkzr named "FTX Nowray: land instead of frozen water"

I don't know how to quote him from a different thread, but this is what he wrote:

- I've tried to delete ORBX\User Documents\Versions\FTX_EU_NOR.TXT and re-downloading FTX Norway.

- Files in ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery gets renamed correctly (cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_XXX_winter.bgl and cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_XXX_summer.bgl.OFF). 195 files in total.

He also refers to the fact that he has 195 files. 

All these problems arose in the same set of files, the summer/winter files for Norway and you still believe that this is a server mishap?

Theoretically it might happen, I can't prove it from home, but I don't believe it.

--> Please a request to other users to check the number of files in the map  \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery

Please keep in mind, it is no criticism, you are all very busy with answering user questions, but I just want to help you with informing you as much as I can.

Best regards Fred

Hello Fred,

the number of files varies with the simulator into which the product is installed.

Please state which simulator you want the file count for.

If there was or is a file or files missing, one sure way to discover this would be to do as Doug suggests.

If your missing file is still missing after that, we can address the problem, if one is revealed.

Hello Nick,

Thanks for responding to this topic, I missed you already ;-)

From my first posting in this thread:

On 3-12-2017 at 8:23 PM, Sundancer said:

Summary:

W7,  FSX SP1,2, No third party addons in that part of Europe.

No UAC, no virus checker active during installation, no Temp space problems

Installation method: Install and create backup afterwards.

No problems during installation encountered (August 2017)

--> The \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery contains 195 items

--> missing cvx_FTX_EU_NOR_water_4909_winter.bgl

So I'm using FSX only, no other sims.

Is that information sufficient, otherwise let me know and I will extend it ?

If you can provide me with the number of the Norwegian files specified for each subfolder, that would be very nice.

Best regards Fred

Here are my results, from a new installation.

It appears that you are quite correct and that the installer is missing one file.

I will report this and see if it can be fixed.

I have noted a couple of other problems too.

FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\scenery          490 items       490

FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\texture            273 items       273

FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\scenery                    196 items       195

FTX_EU_NOR_06_CVX\texture                      293 items       293

FTX_EU_NOR_07_MESH\scenery                    13 items        13

FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\scenery               26 items         26

FTX_EU_NOR_08_CUSTOM\texture             4824 items   4824

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the figures, which corresponds with mine's except for the missing one file.

Also thanks for making a note of it. I really do appreciate that very much.

--> When the installer is indeed missing one file, following Dougs suggestion does not make sense, does it?

Best regards Fred

This subject is very interesting and I wonder:

- contrary to Nick's  490 items  in  FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\scenery   

I only have 479 items and the MigrationTroubleshooter.exe doesn't show any error. (in FSX and P3DV4)

- What to do? Deleting and reinstalling the Norway scenery again?

Archived