Macapa to Manaus

bernd1151

The distance between both cities is 1055 km or 570 nm, but as I will fly along the Amazon river it will be some 20 percent more. I will refuel half way

Macapa.jpg

The plane is Milton Shupe’s superb Vultee XP 54 Swoose Goose (available from sim-outhouse). The original was a prototype fighter built for the USAAF in 1943. It came with a liquid-cooled Lycoming pusher engine in the aft part of the fuselage, but due to its lackluster performance it never reached production stage.Here she is in all her glory

1.jpg

I head for the Amazon, let the adventure begin

2.jpg

3.jpg

I never realized how huge the Amazon is

4.jpg

The Vultee came with "ducted wing sections" that enabled installation of cooling radiators and intercoolers in the inverted gull wing

5.jpg

6.jpg

There are luckily plenty of ships that keep me entertained on this long trip

7.jpg

8.jpg

I pass Prainha

9Prainha.jpg

10.jpg

Big islands and sandbanks form in the middle of the stream

11.jpg

But also huge lakes are part of the Amazon. It almost looks like open water as you can hardly see any shoreline

12.jpg

Now..which way do I have to turn, the are so many arms that I have difficulties to find my way. Ok, let’s get out the map. Where the heck are my glasses…

Ok, I turn into this one

13.jpg

14.jpg

Oh no, not another lake

15.jpg

This is interesting, I have seen these old steamers in a recent documentary about living along the Amazon

16.jpg

Great to see that Henrik Nielsen included them in his AI ship traffic!

17.jpg

Passing Santarem. It seems I am still on the right track

18Santarem.jpg

Lots of small islands come up and as a ship’s captain you can get easily lost between them

19ORBX1.jpg

Maybe Vector can have another look at these rather artificial looking shore lines again

19ORBX2.jpg

Finally I reach Manaus, capital of the state of Amazonas in Northern Brazil

19.jpg

20Avsim.jpg

21.jpg

The Vultee had another quite unique feature for its time: its pressurized cockpit required a complex entry/exit system, as the cabin roof could not be opened: a hatch opened electrically under the fuselage and the pilot’s seat was used as an elevator for cockpit access from the ground. The pilot lowered the seat electrically, sat in it, and raised it into the cockpit

22.jpg

Thanks for viewing

That was amazing Bernd.  You're right, I never knew how wide the Amazon was either.  Now I'll have to do that flight myself!  And that plane, what a cool bird but I agree with Martyn, with egress only with the elevated seat if you land with gear up what then?  But I love the idea of the seat elevator, very cool idea.  Too bad they didn't produce them as they're very graceful.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Fantastic flight Bernd and a great narrative to go with it.

A very unusual plane and just the one to be in if you do a wheels up landing and start to brew up.:ph34r::ph34r:

Some wonderful river scenery and those boats capped it off.

Thanks Martyn. I don't think we both ever want to do a wheels up landing in this one ;)

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent Bernd! :). A great storyline and some super shots. Some nice encounters with boats! An amazing looking aircraft. The VC looks payware quality, although one should probably expect nothing less from Milton Shupe. 

Great you liked them Paul. The VC is indeed payware quality

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was amazing Bernd.  You're right, I never knew how wide the Amazon was either.  Now I'll have to do that flight myself!  And that plane, what a cool bird but I agree with Martyn, with egress only with the elevated seat if you land with gear up what then?  But I love the idea of the seat elevator, very cool idea.  Too bad they didn't produce them as they're very graceful.

Thanks a lot buddy, it's an unusual bird among the usual modern GA and I am happy that Milton Shupe did this for the community. He and his team are truly gifted

Archived