Powell River plant

teecee

Up the coast above Pender Harbour in BC Canada I have a Plant at Powell River.. I believe this was an Addon but  I can not find the installer anywhere. Am I mistaken? and is this in fact a part of some other scenery? if it is in fact an addon, can someone please point me to it's origin? Thanks..Teecee.

Hi Teecee,

The Powell River mill is part of PNW ferry system, the one linked on my blog.  I'm glad you are interested because I decided to add some PR for the Harmac Mill just south of Nanaimo (CAC8) for a future update. I was going to skip trying to make buildings, but maybe I'll see what I can do. At least there will be smokestacks.

Looking forward to the update and the new mill. I love the mines and industry, even more that the cities and airports, so your offerings really get a hammering in my sim. Thanks for all your efforts and input to our hobby Larry.. Terry (Teecee).

22 minutes ago, teecee said:

Looking forward to the update and the new mill. I love the mines and industry, even more that the cities and airports, so your offerings really get a hammering in my sim. Thanks for all your efforts and input to our hobby Larry.. Terry (Teecee).

ditto

17 hours ago, Larry_R said:

The Powell River mill is part of PNW ferry system, the one linked on my blog.  I'm glad you are interested because I decided to add some PR for the Harmac Mill just south of Nanaimo (CAC8) for a future update. I was going to skip trying to make buildings, but maybe I'll see what I can do. At least there will be smokestacks.

Just a quick question: I have Henrik Nielsen's Global AI Ship traffic installed. I guess this is incompatible with your PNW ferry system, isn't it? If not, I would certainly try it.

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Just a quick question: I have Henrik Nielsen's Global AI Ship traffic installed. I guess this is incompatible with your PNW ferry system, isn't it?

Hi Michael,

There could be some AI avoidance on some routes in the PNW but I think in general the global shipping is compatible with the PNW ferry system; they do different things. But I would suggest only trying the ferry system if you fly a lot in the PNW; otherwise it's probably not worth the hassle.

59 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

Hi Michael,

There could be some AI avoidance on some routes in the PNW but I think in general the global shipping is compatible with the PNW ferry system; they do different things. But I would suggest only trying the ferry system if you fly a lot in the PNW; otherwise it's probably not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the quick reply. My first obvious issue would be that they probably both exchange trafficBoats.bgl. Probably you are right, it's more hassle than fun.

On this occasion a big thank you for your nice ORBX sceneries!

Kind regards, Michael

5 hours ago, pmb said:

Thanks for the quick reply. My first obvious issue would be that they probably both exchange trafficBoats.bgl. Probably you are right, it's more hassle than fun.

On this occasion a big thank you for your nice ORBX sceneries!

Kind regards, Michael

Michael - these are just my thoughts, but I have both the AI ships package and all of Larry's files installed and I have had no interference issues at all and must say that the combination of the two packages make it very hard for me to fly anywhere else BUT the PNW region.

I cannot describe how wonderful it is to fly as a BC Ferries vessel or one of the Washington State Ferries go about their business with their gentle plumes of diesel smoke - Larry's creations just add so much realism!

Perhaps give them a try sometime...

Steve

6 hours ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Michael - these are just my thoughts, but I have both the AI ships package and all of Larry's files installed and I have had no interference issues at all and must say that the combination of the two packages make it very hard for me to fly anywhere else BUT the PNW region.

I cannot describe how wonderful it is to fly as a BC Ferries vessel or one of the Washington State Ferries go about their business with their gentle plumes of diesel smoke - Larry's creations just add so much realism!

Perhaps give them a try sometime...

Steve

Thanks to you both, glad to read that. But how do you handle the trafficBoats.bgl matter? Or, does the PNW ferries package not modify this one?

Kind regards, Michael

Larry's replacement trafficboats.bgl replaces the stock one. The usual caveats apply: put the original somewhere safe "just in case" or rename it by adding .OFF or your favorite .something after the .bgl . I don't have the other AI shops package mentioned, but if it has a trafficboats.bgl that replaces the stock one, you'll have to wait for Republic DC-9 or Rob to explain which file to use.

I have been flying around this area for a while now, and wishing for a water landing..Today I see that Larry went one better as I found not only the water landing on Powell Lake, but also the new ferry port that he has done.. Magic area for the low and slow pilots Larry, thanks one more time..Teecee.

2 hours ago, Gulfstreamtwo said:

Larry's replacement trafficboats.bgl replaces the stock one. The usual caveats apply: put the original somewhere safe "just in case" or rename it by adding .OFF or your favorite .something after the .bgl . I don't have the other AI shops package mentioned, but if it has a trafficboats.bgl that replaces the stock one, you'll have to wait for Republic DC-9 or Rob to explain which file to use.

I'll check when I'm back at my PC and report in if nobody gets to it before I do....but however I have it set up, it seems to work!

I THINK the AI ships have their own traffic files and Larry's trafficboats.bgl replaces the default one, but we'll see.

Thanks,

Steve

I think you guys are right. The global AI ship traffic does not seem to modify the trafficBoats.bgl. I just looked up the installer package and it contains a host of own .bgl files (which I have installed), but no modified trafficBoats.bgl.

I still have a modified traffic.Boats.bgl (as I found a backup), so I must have replaced it for some other package (one of the Victoria addons, perhaps???). Anyway, this is seems to be good news for the PNW ferries.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael and all,

Yes, it's my understanding that the global shipping package has its own traffic files. The original purpose of the PNW ferry system was to replace the frankly ugly default ferries in my area of interest, and only for those who are likewise interested. Not only that, with Orbx PNW installed, a number of the default routes go right over islands or other obstructions.

I very much disliked the idea of substituting an edited version of the default trafficboats.bgl  traffic file but that's the only way for me to assign appropriate boats to corrected routes in the PNW. Other than editing a few other routes for compatibility with a few Orbx airports, no routes that do not originate in the PNW have been edited.

When Vic Plus for Orbx PNW was released there was a temporary trafficboats.bgl that went with it that only added the ferry MV Coho (because the ferry system was just getting started). The Coho is now part of the ferry system so that old traffic file is not needed anymore.

And regarding compatibility, I just added a quite detailed model of the BC Ferry MV Quinsam which serves the Nanaimo Gabriola route to make CAC8 a little more authentic.

27 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

When Vic Plus for Orbx PNW was released there was a temporary trafficboats.bgl that went with it that only added the ferry MV Coho (because the ferry system was just getting started). The Coho is now part of the ferry system so that old traffic file is not needed anymore.

Thanks Larry, thats's exactly the hint I needed to go forward! It certainly was the old Coho installation which brought the modified trafficboats.bgl.

Given Victoria not being available anymore anyplace, there will be less and less and less users enjoying that wonderful place. :( Wouldn't this be a wonderful idea for a ORBX payware addon (made from scratch)?

Kind regards. Michael

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Thanks Larry, thats's exactly the hint I needed to go forward! It certainly was the old Coho installation which brought the modified trafficboats.bgl.

Given Victoria not being available anymore anyplace, there will be less and less and less users enjoying that wonderful place. :( Wouldn't this be a wonderful idea for a ORBX payware addon (made from scratch)?

Kind regards. Michael

Michael - Victoria Plus is still available for now at least (and I own and love it), but Vancouver Plus I cannot find anywhere, sadly.

Larry - glad to hear about your new creation!

Steve

45 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Michael - Victoria Plus is still available for now at least (and I own and love it), but Vancouver Plus I cannot find anywhere, sadly.

Wow - you are right! I am pretty sure it was withrawn some time ago, but yes, it's available from Simmarket again. Anyone not yet owing it, it's highly suggested in combination with PNW and Larry's addons.

Kind regards, Michael

The Jon Patch sceneries were withdrawn from the market by his heirs when he passed away. See this in the support forum. If you find one (legally) somewhere, grab it.

I was flying in mine just last night in P3D v4 after simply copying it over from FSX to see how well it works, or if it even would work. I was extremely happy with it. With the same hardware, it's smoother, antialiasing shimmering noticeably better, and frames a bit better than my well tuned FSX.

in fact it worked so well, that I spent probably another two hours getting the latest version of Larry's PNW ferries to go along with Van +, getting it into V4, then checking out some of the bigger terminals and routes. Back for more tonight. Even if you don't use Larry's ferries, the landings he did add a lot, with the expanded parking areas, dolphins (pilings kind, not the marine mammal kind) and fenders. Now if only Larry could find time to bring along his Puget Sound lighthouses project (hope, hope, hope).

20 minutes ago, Gulfstreamtwo said:

The Jon Patch sceneries were withdrawn from the market by his heirs when he passed away. See this in the support forum. If you find one (legally) somewhere, grab it.

http://secure.simmarket.com/jon-patch-victoria-plus-for-orbx-pacific-northwest-fsxp3dv1p3dv2-(de_8673).phtml

Vancouver is gone, I think.

Kind regards, Michael

On 04/08/2017 at 5:33 PM, Gulfstreamtwo said:

I was flying in mine just last night in P3D v4 after simply copying it over from FSX to see how well it works, or if it even would work. I was extremely happy with it. With the same hardware, it's smoother, antialiasing shimmering noticeably better, and frames a bit better than my well tuned FSX.

in fact it worked so well, that I spent probably another two hours getting the latest version of Larry's PNW ferries to go along with Van +, getting it into V4, then checking out some of the bigger terminals and routes. Back for more tonight. Even if you don't use Larry's ferries, the landings he did add a lot, with the expanded parking areas, dolphins (pilings kind, not the marine mammal kind) and fenders. Now if only Larry could find time to bring along his Puget Sound lighthouses project (hope, hope, hope).

Apologies for stumbling in like this, but I came across this thread whilst searching for a Victoria scenery add-on. If I were to purchase Victoria Plus from simMarket, does it require a lot work in order to install into P3D V4? I live in Victoria and would love to see a better representation of this beautiful city. Kind regards, Ax     

I think I just copied the folders into P3Dv4 and brought them into v4 using the Scenery Library. Make sure you buy the one for Orbx PNW.

There's a lot to like about the scenery: the provincial capitol, the Empress and waterfront area in front of it, and many other harbor landmarks plus nice looking generic fill-in up to the airport and two ferry terminals. The only minus for me is that the Royal BC museum is represented by a generic building that doesn't cover the whole block. Overall, well worth the cost

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:04 PM, pmb said:

Hi Michael,

This is not something I could or would want to do by myself but I have definitely thought about it. I've got one more SPB planned and after that I'll have to see how much energy I have as well as what the options are.

Archived