My thoughts about OpenLC SA

Hi everyone. Just want to express my opinion: I am disappointed with OpenLC SA.

I have been waiting for this product since it was announced, so I bought it as soon as I could. I must say that I don't usually do this. As you may know, Argentina has been under a severe economical situation for ages, so 40 USD dollars is something really expensive and requires a lot of previous thought and save.

As soon as my 6hr download finished, I rushed the sim to load at my home area, just to find the same behavior that was there before: repetitive textures and patterns all over the place, for more than 300km around the area. In fact, the whole middle zone of Argentina has the same problem.

I am really disappointed because it's a lot of money for me, and the main thing I couldnt stand about the default landclass data is still there. I know that ORBX doesn't offer any kind of refunds, but I would like to change this product for one of the other OpenLC areas if possible, since orbx didn't offer any demo for this area and the previews pictures are all taken from 1000ft AGL. The main goal of OpenLC is to reduce repetitive textures patterns, and this goal is not achieved in half of the Argentinian territory.

Thank you so much for reading.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Default ORBX Global only:

3.jpg

Hi,

Please apply the below procedure.

Ensure the Orbx Libs are installed and up to date. (is there a blue notification above the settings button in FTXC3?)

Ensure all of your 3rd party addons are at the top of your scenery library and above your FTX entries.

Then in FTX Central 3 Insertion points, move "FTX entries should be inserted below"  just below your last 3rd party addon.

Then move the "openLC entries should be inserted below"  just below your FTX entries. and click "Save".

Then run the "Force Migration" option.

Finally Click on the "Clear Temp" button.

Then, if you have Vector there is a control panel access button at the bottom of the FTXC3 settings page. When you open it you can select the amount of road coverage etc, be sure to uncheck the "Frozen Surface (in winter only)"option, then go to the Airport Elevation Correction (AEC tool) tab and run the auto configuration process and be sure to click on "Appy" when it is done scanning.

Cheers

Doug

Mine appears the same, the area does indeed pretty much have the same type landuse irl, but it is quite repetitive in olc. I believe that is kinda the nature of this product and the esp scenery engine, it is classifying the land and unfortunately it is very similar terrain. I as an American am not overly attached to any specific area with openlc sa and am excited to explore. But i can understand  the disappointment, i am lucky to have my home state of california fully covered in region level scenery, which is an amazing difference from olc. 

2 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Apart from Doug's suggestion, taking shots from that height is no good to us, to diagnose an issue, try 2.000ft and pan the camera to see what you are. Please report back with a good image with coordinates, am happy to help you :)

Richard. I tried Doug suggestion and it's the same thing. I checked with a friend who also owns this product and he has the same behaviour. At 2000ft is not noticiable, but i fly airliners, and that picture was taken at FL030.

The fact is that the product it's the way it's, and I'm not happy with it. 

Thanks for your input!

1 minute ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Please attach an Order Number or Transaction iD to your Signature.

An old FSS order number is under my avatar. This is the OpenLC Transaction ID: 597a4c8f20827.

37 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Well, that's fine, the actual point here is, without FTX Open Lc SA, you will see exactly the same issue, it is Sim related not Orbx related.

Richard, So what would be the point of buying the product in the first place? I bought OpenLC to greatly reduce texture repetition over Argentina, and the product didn't fix them.

If I had had a demo of the area to try before buying, I wouldn't bought it. That's my point. Just wanted to express my opinion and ask if a product change was possible. I am not asking for a refund.

Thank you ! :)

1.jpg

Neucoas,

Could you please provide us with coordinates for the areas you are most disappointed with, I am flying around Argentina at 30000' and can't find anything that doesn't look like Google Earth. Everything looks spectacular to me. :)

Thanks

Doug

Just now, Doug Sawatzky said:

Neucoas,

Could you please provide us with coordinates for the areas you are most disappointed with, I am flying around Argentina at 30000' and can't find anything that doesn't look like Google Earth.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug! Sure! Head to SAAR airport ! You can also see this behaviour if you fly out of Buenos Aires (SAEZ), and some places like Olavarria (SAZF:)

4 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Please provide a screenshot with coordinates of the area you describe, I'm interested in the repetitious Textures please, taken like what I have below.

G4oH08K.jpg

I'm interested in this too - I don't have OpenLC SA but it's something I was concerned about because I'm a bit worried about accurate source data.  Would you be willing to retake that picture, with shift-z coordinates on, at an altitude of 30,000ft MSL, Richard?  I'd like to compare to the base FTX Global etc, as well as an old SceneryTech SA landclass I have around.  Feel free to ignore me if you like, since I'm not looking for support, more of a purchasing decision, and maybe this isn't the place for that.  No worries if not!

-stefan

Edit: I meant at the location of one of the problematic areas listed above, not wherever this helicopter picture is (unless it's there, haha) - sorry for the ambiguity!

Edit 2: fixed a name because I'm dumb and it's late and I'm tired.

20 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Please provide a screenshot with coordinates of the area you describe, I'm interested in the repetitious Textures please, taken like what I have below.

Richard. Load your sim in

ICAO: SAAR

Name: "Rosario/Islas Malvinas"

City: Rosario

Coordinates: S32 W60,

and use slew mode to climb to 30000ft. You can see my results on my original post.

Thank you!

You won't really notice the issues at 2000'. Here's some shots in from the f16 over SAAR. What I notice is a repetition of groups/similar grouping that create perceived lines toward the horizon. 

I've done a poor job of trying to highlight it if is not readily apparent to you. It can be rather distracting to me as well. 

2017-7-28_20-44-14-111.jpgCapture.JPG

Next I include a top down image not as far zoomed out the patterns are readily apparent.

Capture2.JPG.

Goofy anecdote: I don't know if any of you have experienced where you look at an orchard of trees mainly younger ones, as you drive past lines forms multiple lines in your vision even though the pattern is the same, the same thing seems to be happening here. 

The big thing to remember here is this is OP's home country, he is intimately familiar with the area. There's not exactly an abundance of development for South America and he seems like he was excited to hopefully see his country better depicted. Now that he has spent for him a more considerable chunk of change than for me as an American he seems disappointed. I don't want to put words into ops mouth but that's my observation. Hopefully we can be considerate of his expectations not being met for the price. 

The marketing does say to reduce repetitive textures, and in the top down you can see the interplay between the darker and lighter textures creating some checker-boarding/grid like pattern and in the minds eye looks strange. I do observe an effort to provide randomization in the groupings which does do a pretty good job at lower altitudes however higher altitudes is somewhat distracting. Just my two cents.

That said I'm sure I will enjoy exploring SA in whole, thanks to orbx for trying to further cover the globe in increase accuracy.

We are noting this for the developer to have a look, but if I could ask that the following please be considered.

We are looking at an area of 800 x 300 km that from GE looks pretty much the same landclass type, so in our opinion reflects what is there.

Eugene has used 5 landclass types in this area, with each type of texture containing 5-17 tiles depending on season. To create an impression of less repetition, more texture sets are required as the landclass types are pretty much catered for.

43 minutes ago, Ed Correia said:

We are noting this for the developer to have a look, but if I could ask that the following please be considered.

We are looking at an area of 800 x 300 km that from GE looks pretty much the same landclass type, so in our opinion reflects what is there.

Eugene has used 5 landclass types in this area, with each type of texture containing 5-17 tiles depending on season. To create an impression of less repetition, more texture sets are required as the landclass types are pretty much catered for.

Hi Ed, thanks for replying.

I understand and know how the area is. The fact is that I bought OpenLC just to fly over Argentina (my home area especially, I don't have any interest on the rest of the continent) and because the way the product is, I can't enjoy it. So please consider my previous request of swapping to another OpenLC product, so I can make my $42 worth it, and I will happily repurchase this product if ever this behaviour gets fixed.

Thank you ! :)

Archived