System upgrade advice

chumley

I have just completed the physical building a new system that will be devoted to simming.

The system will have Windows 10 loaded on a 240gb SSD, P3D loaded on a 500gb SSD, a separate  250gb SSD for simming companion applications and a conventional HDD to store downloaded application backup files.

I hope to be able to avoid the slow process associated with reloading everything as I have P3D in particular just how I want it. To do this I will load a clean copy of Win 10 (the original is not transferable) and I would like to know which folders I will need from the current version e.g. registry; to copy over the new installation files and so make my simming life happy again.

Is this a reasonable option or should I just suck it up and reinstall everything?

A clean install is always better. Use only new installers and not any old backups. ORBX FTX central 3 makes it easy. You can put all your product in a queue and just download them while you sleep. Plus most of my downloads only take about 2 min per title to install. No more wrappers or serial numbers. I would also only load up what your using and slowly build up your scenery. Also don't force any FSX software into P3D . So its time to suck it up. Its not as bad as you think and you will be up and flying in about a hour.  Josh

I did a clean install for P3D and just let FTX Central install my Orbx products all at ounce.  :)

Much easier and faster than the old days.  :unsure:

- Determine what order you needed to install things. 

- Try to determine if you had the current installer version for each product.

- Enter key/date/order number

- Unwrap

- Install

- Start sim to see if it worked.

- Repeat for the next region/airport...

Individually installing and testing each product may give you the chance to identify a problem with an individual installation.  If the sim crashes after installing "product x", you can uninstall "x" to see if the problem goes away, and then try to reinstall it. 

Than being said, my Orbx products seem to play well together and with P3D, so I let FTX Central install everything at once.  YMMV!  

If you start installing other 3rd party products, I might start checking the sim between products.

Nick would you then have to enter the addons back into the sim scenery library manually? Without an existing scenery cfg they would not be in the library would they?

Just asking because I used this method of dropping the backup into P3D but then realised all was installed OK in the library because I had not removed the scenery cfg. If it is a new install then there would be no scenery cfg with the Orbx entries listed would there?

Seeking clarification please

No there would be only a default scenery.cfg file.

However, every time that FTX Central is run, it adds all of the installed products'

scenery library entries to the scenery library, so once it has been run once, all

the FTX scenery library entries will be restored.

Naturally, anyone else's addons would need to be added back in by either their installer

or manually.

The guide is really intended for the re-installation of FTX products, rather than the whole

of someone's simulator.

Archived